• Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

AI and MGs in FWWC
11-19-2020, 06:42 PM,
AI and MGs in FWWC
Hi to all,
I was wondering if anyone else noted a strange behaviour in the AI managing of machinegun units. In every scenario I tried (I own all three FWW titles), when it comes to attack a position, the AI uses only its infantry units (which easily end up grinded), leaving its MGs well behind or, when moving forward, leaving them in T mode without ever deployng them again. Sometimes, it happens with artillery units too. As it not happens with PzC titles, where the AI usually deploys and employs all its T mode units when attacking, I was wondering what might be the coding issue behind this.
Quote this message in a reply
11-20-2020, 06:27 AM,
RE: AI and MGs in FWWC
Never played my FWWC titles against the AI so I can't comment if this is normal, but I will pass on your question to the designer to try to get you an answer.  Wink
11-20-2020, 08:45 AM,
RE: AI and MGs in FWWC
Thanks for the question. Yes, the AI can be lacking when it comes to details of how units move, and how they attack, and so forth. Really its only good if you crank the handicap way up and give it a big advantage. Besides that, I have no doubt that it will probably not understand how to use certain units properly on the attack, since there are so many details involved.

That being said, if you have a small BTL (save game) file that immediately demonstrates the AI doing something stupid with those units, such as, the AI having MG and field gun units sitting adjacent to enemy forces, and they do nothing but sit in place in Travel Mode, then by all means please email it to me (volcano (at) esimgames (dot) com).

Not promising anything because I don't recall the last time the AI was ever adjusted or improved in these games, but who knows!

Also, if I want to play solo its often better to just play it hotseat against yourself. I have played many FWWC scenarios like this, and it can be fun mental exercise. Just a suggestion if you haven't tried it and you want a better solo opponent (plus you win every time!).   Big Grin2
Send this user an email