• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Book recommendation - North African campaign
11-16-2020, 01:03 PM,
Book recommendation - North African campaign
It occurred to me that I had read very few books about the North African campaign, despite it being one of my favorite campaigns. As such I wondered if anybody had any recommendations they could pass on? I would prefer something fairly detailed if possible, and it would be great if it covered the entire campaign, not just the arrival of Rommel onwards. 

Thanks in advance!
Quote this message in a reply
11-16-2020, 05:16 PM,
RE: Book recommendation - North African campaign
I have some books covering battles or operations (El Alamein, fighting in Tunisia) but I haven't read that many books about the North African campaign as a whole either.

For a general overview of the military and political considerations, I used "Hitler's Mediterranean gamble"/"Path to victory" by Douglas Porch. After checking some reviews online, it seems the same book was released under two different titles. There are some of the "usual" errors when it comes to mentioning correct equipment by both sides, but the rest of the information is worth it.

"An army at dawn" from Rick Atkinson's Liberation Trilogy is also excellent.
11-16-2020, 06:29 PM,
Thanks ComradeP, I will check them out. After looking around it does seem that there are not too many books which cover the campaign as a whole, which is interesting. I also seem to remember some of the PzC game notes sometimes have a book list, so I might check that out too.
11-16-2020, 09:33 PM,
I would recommend "Rommel's North Africa Campaign" by Greene & Massignani.
A good account on the Axis side, with a balanced look on the italians.
11-16-2020, 11:13 PM,
I. S. O. Playfair's "The Mediterranean and Middle East" series in its 6 volumes is a great source to have. While some info might be dated, these books include a lot of maps and illustrations to make your life easier.
11-17-2020, 12:25 AM,
I really enjoyed Rick Atkinson's An Army at Dawn, part of his Liberation Trilogy, but it only covers the North African Campaign from 1942 on.
11-17-2020, 02:48 AM, (This post was last modified: 11-17-2020, 02:49 AM by Indragnir.)
For my Variant on Tunisia (The End if Africa) I used the following: (mainly 1942 to 1943 NA Campaign, some could be of your interest)

Anderson, Charles - Tunisia 17 November 1942 to 13 May 1943.

Dando, Neal - From Tobruk to Tunis: The impact of terrain on British operations.

Gladman, Brad - Intelligence and Anglo-American Air Support in World War Two. The Western Desert and Tunisia, 1940–43.

Atkinson, Rick - An Army At Dawn.

Grehan, John & Mace, Martin - Operations in North Africa and the Middle East 1942-1944 El Alamein, Tunisia, Algeria and Operation Torch.

Howe, George – Northwest Africa: Seizing the Initiative in the West.

Major I. S. O. Playfair - The Mediterranean and Middle East

Rolf, David - The Bloody Road to Tunis. Destruction of the Axis Forces in North Africa, November 1942 - May 1943.

Williamson, Gordon - Afrikakorps 1941-43.

Walker, Ian - Iron Hulls Iron Hearts. (This a nice book for italian armor, focused on them, a very scarce topic)
11-17-2020, 05:33 AM,
Many thanks guys, plenty of places for me to start there, much appreciated.
11-17-2020, 06:05 AM,
I would suggest Battle for North Africa 1940-43 by W.G.F. Jackson (Might be hard to find) and The Crucible of war trilogy by Barrie Pitt.
Both cover the whole enchilada.
11-17-2020, 08:52 AM,
(11-17-2020, 06:05 AM)Kuriltai Wrote: I would suggest Battle for North Africa 1940-43 by W.G.F. Jackson (Might be hard to find) and The Crucible of war trilogy by Barrie Pitt.
Both cover the whole enchilada.

Thanks Kuriltai, I ended up buying The Crucible of War trilogy for my wife to give to me for Christmas! Actually, there is a newish release of the trilogy which some people suggested didn't have the maps of the original, so I actually ended up buying used copies of what I think was the earlier versions:
The Crucible of War: Western Desert 1941
and
The Year of Alamein, 1942 - The Crucible of War