• Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Scheldt '44 Market Garden (expanded) Allied AAR - settled for a Draw turn 69
11-15-2020, 11:23 PM, (This post was last modified: 02-07-2021, 10:05 AM by ComradeP.)
Scheldt '44 Market Garden (expanded) Allied AAR - settled for a Draw turn 69
Elxaime asked if I wanted to play the Market Garden (expanded) scenario from Scheldt '44 (#0917_02a_Market_Garden "It Never Snows in September") as the Allies, and I was more than happy to accept.

The main difference between this variant and the main version is that the map is extended towards the west and more units are included. The setup is historical.

At first glance, it's not as difficult for the Allies as Market Garden scenarios for other wargames, but there are some mechanics that make it difficult for the Allies when studied more closely.

Scheldt '44 features high terrain/fortification firepower reductions ánd low average Allied unit quality. Any entrenched German unit in a Town or City is completely bulletproof when taking fire from a D quality unit. 100-(40+40+20)=0.

After Panzer Battles Normandy, this is the second title I own where units are rated for performance instead of having a more generic quality level based on the type of unit. German units will generally be better than they would be based on rating their organizational capabilities and unit type, Allied units aside from airborne/paratrooper units will generally be worse. As explained in the design document, Allied quality aside from airborne units is reduced by 1 level in September to represent Allied units being more reluctant to take risks due to believing the war is nearly over, combined with increasing levels of poorly trained replacements.

The recovery percentage for German units is 2%, which means B quality units recover 3% losses each turn when local supply is above 50. They'll recover fewer losses when local supply is below 50, but it's still substantial. The Fallschirmjaeger and SS units that start in a weakened state will thus quickly regain strength when resting. The same situation is amplified by many German battalions still having a fairly large maximum size. As Allied paratrooper battalions are small (~372-387 Men or so), that will make 1st Airborne's drop at Arnhem difficult to sustain. 

Unless you hold Arnhem (3000 VP's) at the end, it's likely you can achieve at most a Draw as the Allies. I'm aiming for a Draw, anything better is nice. I'm expecting to lose 1st Airborne.
Quote this message in a reply
11-15-2020, 11:34 PM, (This post was last modified: 11-17-2020, 04:45 AM by ComradeP.)
RE: Scheldt '44 Market Garden (expanded) Allied AAR
The OOB.

Note: the Polish paratrooper brigade, some American airborne reinforcements and the German 245th and 712th Infanterie Division are shown as "not present" due to arriving through Strategy Options.

[Image: JD1w6lK.jpg]
11-15-2020, 11:39 PM,
A comparison of the stats of most of the more common unit types in the campaign.

Some units are Disrupted due to dropping/moving at night when taking these screenshots.

Allied units:

[Image: whXCn3z.jpg]

German units:

[Image: 6q7vNdh.jpg]
11-15-2020, 11:40 PM,
The optional rules we're using.

We're using the default rules without Counterbattery fire as that rule can rapidly lead to high artillery losses.

[Image: 7CfO0in.jpg]
11-15-2020, 11:41 PM,
An overview of the starting situation in the north and south, without paratroopers on the map aside from pathfinder units.

[Image: xYP6cnq.jpg]

[Image: cyDRT3i.jpg]
11-16-2020, 12:04 AM, (This post was last modified: 11-16-2020, 12:06 AM by Plain Ian.)
(11-15-2020, 11:34 PM)ComradeP Wrote: The OOB.

Note: the Polish paratrooper brigade, some American airborne reinforcements and the German 245th and part of the 719th Infanterie Division are shown as "not present" due to arriving through Strategy Options.

[Image: 2020-11-15_13h59_25.png]

Polish artillery unit? 

Ian
11-16-2020, 12:39 AM,
That's a Polish 6 Pounder unit that arrives at LZ "S" in the 1st Airborne sector prior to the arrival of the rest of the Polish units.
11-16-2020, 04:47 AM,
(11-16-2020, 12:39 AM)ComradeP Wrote: That's a Polish 6 Pounder unit that arrives at LZ "S" in the 1st Airborne sector prior to the arrival of the rest of the Polish units.

Thanks. So this unit arrives before you decide where to land the Poles? I assume its attached to a British formation?

[Image: LZ%20S.png]

Ian
11-16-2020, 05:20 PM,
It arrives before I have to make the strategy decision where to land the rest of the Polish paratroopers.

As it's mentioned in the Polish paratrooper brigade OOB, it seems to be attached the the Polish brigade HQ and not 1st Airborne Division. That might be historical.

As it's arriving by glider, landing zones in the polder terrain on the southern side of the Rhine were considered unsuitable.
11-16-2020, 09:06 PM,
(11-16-2020, 05:20 PM)ComradeP Wrote: It arrives before I have to make the strategy decision where to land the rest of the Polish paratroopers.

As it's mentioned in the Polish paratrooper brigade OOB, it seems to be attached the the Polish brigade HQ and not 1st Airborne Division. That might be historical.

As it's arriving by glider, landing zones in the polder terrain on the southern side of the Rhine were considered unsuitable.

The 1st Airborne will need those guns if they land safely enough. Glider landings should suffer lower disruption/loss.

Looking forward to seeing the British landings and whether Frosts' Battalion can replicate its journey to the bridge. 

Ian in Dundee