• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

ADF clarification
11-01-2020, 09:43 PM,
Help  ADF clarification
When do the auto defensive fire rules in the A/I menu get applied in PBEM phase based games? ADF is of course enabled in the options.

I can change the settings during my move phase but obviously it does not make sense to apply these changes on my opponents pending defensive fire phase.
So will the game save my new settings and apply them during my next defensive fire phase or how does this work?
Quote this message in a reply
11-02-2020, 12:30 AM,
RE: ADF clarification
(11-01-2020, 09:43 PM)LarkinVB Wrote: When do the auto defensive fire rules in the A/I menu get applied in PBEM phase based games? ADF is of course enabled in the options.

I can change the settings during my move phase but obviously it does not make sense to apply these changes on my opponents pending defensive fire phase.
So will the game save my new settings and apply them during my next defensive fire phase or how does this work?

Not sure I follow the bit about making changes during the turn, the rules are set at the beginning of a PBEM match and stay that way until the match is over. 

That said, in phased PBEM play (which is the only way I play), Player 1 completes his movement and advances the turn/phase.  The AI will conduct ADF for player 2 and fire defensively at full strength against targets it determines, and the A/I will then advance the phase to player 1's fire phase.  Player 1 then manually conducts their fire, advances the turn/phase and you move to player 1 melee phase.  At the end of the melee phase you advance turn/phase again, and the file is ready to be emailed to your opponent.  Same thing will happen on their turn (with player 1 in example above being player 2).  In this way PBEM is played with phased play and only 1 email exchange required per turn.
11-04-2020, 02:26 AM,
The optional rules are set at the start and can't be changed afterwards but the auto defensive fire settings can be changed(A/I menu).

I understand the the phased play but was curious why it is possible to change the auto defensive fire settings during a match.
11-04-2020, 02:59 AM,
(11-04-2020, 02:26 AM)LarkinVB Wrote: The optional rules are set at the start and can't be changed afterwards but the auto defensive fire settings can be changed(A/I menu).

I understand the the phased play but was curious why it is possible to change the auto defensive fire settings during a match.

I have never seen or noticed that.  Well assuming that is "working as designed" I imagine the only change during phased play by turning off ADF would be the need to manually defensive fire, which would require a save and an email to your opponent mid-turn.  That would double the amount of email exchanges per game.  I always use ADF with phased play which is why I guess I never noticed it could be switched on and off (because I impatiently wait for turns now, can't imagine doubly that penance) Big Grin
11-04-2020, 05:10 AM, (This post was last modified: 11-04-2020, 05:11 AM by LarkinVB.)
(11-04-2020, 02:59 AM)Steel God Wrote:
(11-04-2020, 02:26 AM)LarkinVB Wrote: The optional rules are set at the start and can't be changed afterwards but the auto defensive fire settings can be changed(A/I menu).

I have never seen or noticed that.  Well assuming that is "working as designed" I imagine the only change during phased play by turning off ADF would be the need to manually defensive fire, which would require a save and an email to your opponent mid-turn.  That would double the amount of email exchanges per game.  I always use ADF with phased play which is why I guess I never noticed it could be switched on and off (because I impatiently wait for turns now, can't imagine doubly that penance) Big Grin

I'm always talking about the range settings (A/I -> Adjust Auto Defensive Fire), not the setting in the options to enable/disable ADF.
11-05-2020, 12:37 AM,
(11-04-2020, 05:10 AM)LarkinVB Wrote:
(11-04-2020, 02:59 AM)Steel God Wrote:

I'm always talking about the range settings (A/I -> Adjust Auto Defensive Fire), not the setting in the options to enable/disable ADF.

Sorry.  Trying to help and we're not even talking about the same thing.  So, now talking about adjusting the range of your Auto Defensive fire......if you set it on "your turn" it should take effect on your next defensive fire phase which would be your opponents turn.  Seems obvious, so perhaps I am missing something yet again (In whihc case I may have to stop helping) 

Cheers
11-06-2020, 04:35 AM,
(11-05-2020, 12:37 AM)Steel God Wrote: Sorry.  Trying to help and we're not even talking about the same thing.  So, now talking about adjusting the range of your Auto Defensive fire......if you set it on "your turn" it should take effect on your next defensive fire phase which would be your opponents turn.  Seems obvious, so perhaps I am missing something yet again (In whihc case I may have to stop helping) 

Cheers

By George I think he's got it ! Big Grin