• Downloads

Rising Sun Over San Francisco
10-25-2020, 11:57 PM,
New Game  Rising Sun Over San Francisco
3V3 Team Scenario.
Alternate History/Hypothetical.
Dec. 7th, 1945.

NOTE:  PLAY WITH ARMOR FACING OFF (Glitch in the game, not my fault, but it works with AF OFF).
If you play with AF ON the Japanese Daihatsu landing craft have a defense of ZERO…instant elimination every time they get shot.  With Armored Facing turned OFF it plays normally.  No VV, AF, or EA.  EA ON if you feel a need to bleed.

ALTERNATE HISTORY 3v3 TEAM SCENARIO
"Red Sun Over San Francisco"
San Francisco Bay Area, United States Of America.
[H2H/AXIS]  [BRIDGEHEAD] [FIC] [WIF] [BZ]

The successful Japanese invasion of Pearl Harbor by 3 crack divisions devastated the Pacific assets of the US Navy.  Shattered remnants of the US Pacific Fleets withdrew to the West Coast of the U.S.  The majority of US Naval assets were captured at Pearl Harbor.  When the Arizona sank and blocked the main channel, blocking their exit, they were sitting ducks.  Soon all of our capital ships were flying the Rising Sun.  By 1945 half of them had been converted to flat tops.  Carriers were key to invading the USA.

The Japanese, having broken our Naval codes, knew San Diego contained the majority of remaining USN capital ships, and several feints by the Japanese kept them there.   It never mattered, San Francisco and the Bay Area were always their next target.  After the Aleutians were taken the entire Pacific Coastline fell like dominos, North to South.
Until now.

This is a hypothetical scenario designed to see how difficult it would be to invade the rugged coast of Northern California and the San Francisco Bay Area.  If you grew up there climbing those hills you know what I’m talking about.  This will not be an easy landing.  It will be earned, strictly by the code of Bushido.  The steel price, never the gold price. 
The map is constructed from PERIOD CORRECT U.S.G.S. 7.5 minute quadrangle topographical maps dating from 1942 to 1946.  My thanks to the University of California, Berkeley.  Go Bears.  Their archives include historical topographic maps, and are published under public domain.

NOTE:  The terrain choices in Rising Sun do not have selections designed for Northern California.  For those reasons I have used "Field" to represent not only true fields but the dry California chapparal that covers the hills.  I have used "Palm" trees to simulate the groves of Eucalyptus trees, invasive imports from Australia.  I have used "rice paddies" to simulate flooded crops and salt ponds.  Most of the Bay Area at the time was devoted to farms, and specifically orchards, which were periodically flooded as a means of irrigation.

The Japanese and their allies land elements of 9 Divisions along the Bay Area coast line.  The U.S. troops are a mix of home guard, weary veterans, and green units.  These groups are also salted, perhaps peppered, with veteran Marines who not only retained the ability to fight but are spoiling for payback.  After the election of Wendell Willkie in 1940 the strong isolationist president failed to upgrade and update our Army and Navy.  We were ill prepared for war. 

The Naval might of the WW2 Bay Area was a far cry from the 4 million strong, peace loving, navel contemplating metropolis it is today.  It was a hornet's nest of military bases, defense industries, airfields, Kaiser Shipyards, etc.  The US Navy and the US Army existed in "close quarters" from Alameda NAS to the Presidio Army Base.  Heavy coastal defenses are recreated with painstaking accuracy.  Every bunker, pillbox, and emplacement.  Passing under the Golden Gate will require crossing underwater minefields, submarine nets, and the well sighted shore guns of varying caliber from AA guns to massive 16" Twin mounts in deep concrete pillboxes.

The loss of England during Operation Sealion, along with the mild winter and subsequent defeat of Russia in Moscow, 1941, have left the U.S., Canada and Australia standing together to face the combined power of the Axis.  Germany reigns supreme in Europe, and Adolph has his lebensraum.  Unchallenged in mainland Europe and Asia, they next target our East Coast.  The US leads the surviving Allied nations against the Axis tripartite.  No help will come from the eastern parts of the U.S., they are fending off the Germans, and weathering constant V3 (A9/A10) ballistic missile attacks.
The morning of December 7th 1945 followed a cold and black night of winter storms.  The fog was in with a vengeance, creeping or possibly stomping in on monster sized colossal cat's feet, and you could hardly see past the hood of your car.  Traffic snarled all night on the slick roads.  Wet and nasty, classic San Francisco Bay weather in the Fall.  The radios were acting up, as they often did during foul weather.  Reports came in all night of strange sightings, but nothing confirmed.  There was even an early report of enemy action from Fort Bragg and Bodega Bay, but only silence after that.  The listening station at Fort Point has been acting up all night as well after a mysterious explosion.  The Brass realize something is up, and start scrambling and assembling our defenses.  We were caught by a skillful act of counter-espionage.  The Japanese, knowing we had broken their old Naval codes, had leaked radio traffic for weeks of impending action around San Diego and the coastal defenses were concentrated in the south of California.  While their misdirection via counter-intelligence pays dividends, they are still up against a formidable enemy, fighting for their homeland.  This includes the majority of surviving US Marines on the West Coast, stationed at Camp Pendleton.

Do not discount the firepower and fighting ability of the US Marine.
Late war, they are death on two legs.

With dawn, the sun rises in the early hours and begins to burn off the fog.  What they see that morning shakes them.  They see hundreds of Japanese ships, including many who have already crossed under the Golden Gate Bridge into the North Bay.  The mainland US has never been invaded by its enemies until this day...December 7th...1945.  Cannon fire begins to echo from the hillsides as our heavy guns open up.

The Japanese are here in force.  4 years to the day since the Pearl Harbor invasion, Yamamoto's fleets have gathered off the California coast, and caught us by surprise.  The war has come to American soil.  I recommend this is played with [ALL] Options On except [AF] and [VV].  EA is at your discretion, but I should warn you this one plays very tough, and EA will only make it harder.  This will appeal to those masochistic in nature.

ROEs:  While possible to load and unload DIRECTLY onto the big bridges, it’s not likely.  Specifically the Golden Gate Bridge and the Bay Bridges.  They would involve climbing steel pylons hundreds of feet high.  The other bridges all had low sections, and my recommendation is to allow it on them but it’s your call.  No bridges are permanently blocked, even with 12 wrecks, as you have engineer groups capable of removing those wrecks to clear the bridges.  Those familiar with the Bay Area will spot my “modifications” quickly.  To wit, there was no bridge that crossed between San Rafael and Richmond.  I added this to enhance gameplay, hence the moniker of “Puente Mysterio”.  If it helps, that bridge exists now, more or less, and it’s the Richmond/San Rafael Bridge.

Regards,

Dan

ps:  The scenario is not quite finished...just wanted to furnish you with some alternate history above...
Quote this message in a reply
10-26-2020, 12:20 AM,
RE: Rising Sun Over San Francisco
Dan Dan Dan! Respect3
Wow wow wow! Yikes2
Tora tora tora!
I have a little drool coming out of my mouth. (Or, that just might be my old age catching up to me.)
This one sounds interesting. Thumb Up2

Let us know when it is finished? I may need to get a team together for this one. Hello?

Farmer

HSL
10-26-2020, 04:52 AM,
Ed, Wear a damn bib!
LMAO
I would be interested in laying some invading feckin' bastage Japs into the dirt, Like a true American hero... Won't give Dan, the pleasure of an ill advised absence, this time... He will pay for for his insolence!

Dev
Faith Divides Us, Death Unites Us.... "We were never to say die or surrender" -- Chard
10-26-2020, 10:23 AM, (This post was last modified: 11-11-2020, 02:19 PM by Big Ivan.)
Hey Dan!!

Thanks!
10-29-2020, 03:26 PM,
(10-25-2020, 11:57 PM)Dan Caviness Wrote: 3V3 Team Scenario.
Alternate History/Hypothetical.
Dec. 7th, 1945.

NOTE:  PLAY WITH ARMOR FACING OFF (Glitch in the game, not my fault, but it works with AF OFF).
If you play with AF ON the Japanese Daihatsu landing craft have a defense of ZERO…instant elimination every time they get shot.  With Armored Facing turned OFF it plays normally.  No VV, AF, or EA.  EA ON if you feel a need to bleed.

ALTERNATE HISTORY 3v3 TEAM SCENARIO
"Red Sun Over San Francisco"
San Francisco Bay Area, United States Of America.
[H2H/AXIS]  [BRIDGEHEAD] [FIC] [WIF] [BZ]

The successful Japanese invasion of Pearl Harbor by 3 crack divisions devastated the Pacific assets of the US Navy.  Shattered remnants of the US Pacific Fleets withdrew to the West Coast of the U.S.  The majority of US Naval assets were captured at Pearl Harbor.  When the Arizona sank and blocked the main channel, blocking their exit, they were sitting ducks.  Soon all of our capital ships were flying the Rising Sun.  By 1945 half of them had been converted to flat tops.  Carriers were key to invading the USA.

The Japanese, having broken our Naval codes, knew San Diego contained the majority of remaining USN capital ships, and several feints by the Japanese kept them there.   It never mattered, San Francisco and the Bay Area were always their next target.  After the Aleutians were taken the entire Pacific Coastline fell like dominos, North to South.
Until now.

This is a hypothetical scenario designed to see how difficult it would be to invade the rugged coast of Northern California and the San Francisco Bay Area.  If you grew up there climbing those hills you know what I’m talking about.  This will not be an easy landing.  It will be earned, strictly by the code of Bushido.  The steel price, never the gold price. 
The map is constructed from PERIOD CORRECT U.S.G.S. 7.5 minute quadrangle topographical maps dating from 1942 to 1946.  My thanks to the University of California, Berkeley.  Go Bears.  Their archives include historical topographic maps, and are published under public domain.

NOTE:  The terrain choices in Rising Sun do not have selections designed for Northern California.  For those reasons I have used "Field" to represent not only true fields but the dry California chapparal that covers the hills.  I have used "Palm" trees to simulate the groves of Eucalyptus trees, invasive imports from Australia.  I have used "rice paddies" to simulate flooded crops and salt ponds.  Most of the Bay Area at the time was devoted to farms, and specifically orchards, which were periodically flooded as a means of irrigation.

The Japanese and their allies land elements of 9 Divisions along the Bay Area coast line.  The U.S. troops are a mix of home guard, weary veterans, and green units.  These groups are also salted, perhaps peppered, with veteran Marines who not only retained the ability to fight but are spoiling for payback.  After the election of Wendell Willkie in 1940 the strong isolationist president failed to upgrade and update our Army and Navy.  We were ill prepared for war. 

The Naval might of the WW2 Bay Area was a far cry from the 4 million strong, peace loving, navel contemplating metropolis it is today.  It was a hornet's nest of military bases, defense industries, airfields, Kaiser Shipyards, etc.  The US Navy and the US Army existed in "close quarters" from Alameda NAS to the Presidio Army Base.  Heavy coastal defenses are recreated with painstaking accuracy.  Every bunker, pillbox, and emplacement.  Passing under the Golden Gate will require crossing underwater minefields, submarine nets, and the well sighted shore guns of varying caliber from AA guns to massive 16" Twin mounts in deep concrete pillboxes.

The loss of England during Operation Sealion, along with the mild winter and subsequent defeat of Russia in Moscow, 1941, have left the U.S., Canada and Australia standing together to face the combined power of the Axis.  Germany reigns supreme in Europe, and Adolph has his lebensraum.  Unchallenged in mainland Europe and Asia, they next target our East Coast.  The US leads the surviving Allied nations against the Axis tripartite.  No help will come from the eastern parts of the U.S., they are fending off the Germans, and weathering constant V3 (A9/A10) ballistic missile attacks.
The morning of December 7th 1945 followed a cold and black night of winter storms.  The fog was in with a vengeance, creeping or possibly stomping in on monster sized colossal cat's feet, and you could hardly see past the hood of your car.  Traffic snarled all night on the slick roads.  Wet and nasty, classic San Francisco Bay weather in the Fall.  The radios were acting up, as they often did during foul weather.  Reports came in all night of strange sightings, but nothing confirmed.  There was even an early report of enemy action from Fort Bragg and Bodega Bay, but only silence after that.  The listening station at Fort Point has been acting up all night as well after a mysterious explosion.  The Brass realize something is up, and start scrambling and assembling our defenses.  We were caught by a skillful act of counter-espionage.  The Japanese, knowing we had broken their old Naval codes, had leaked radio traffic for weeks of impending action around San Diego and the coastal defenses were concentrated in the south of California.  While their misdirection via counter-intelligence pays dividends, they are still up against a formidable enemy, fighting for their homeland.  This includes the majority of surviving US Marines on the West Coast, stationed at Camp Pendleton.

Do not discount the firepower and fighting ability of the US Marine.
Late war, they are death on two legs.

With dawn, the sun rises in the early hours and begins to burn off the fog.  What they see that morning shakes them.  They see hundreds of Japanese ships, including many who have already crossed under the Golden Gate Bridge into the North Bay.  The mainland US has never been invaded by its enemies until this day...December 7th...1945.  Cannon fire begins to echo from the hillsides as our heavy guns open up.

The Japanese are here in force.  4 years to the day since the Pearl Harbor invasion, Yamamoto's fleets have gathered off the California coast, and caught us by surprise.  The war has come to American soil.  I recommend this is played with [ALL] Options On except [AF] and [VV].  EA is at your discretion, but I should warn you this one plays very tough, and EA will only make it harder.  This will appeal to those masochistic in nature.

ROEs:  While possible to load and unload DIRECTLY onto the big bridges, it’s not likely.  Specifically the Golden Gate Bridge and the Bay Bridges.  They would involve climbing steel pylons hundreds of feet high.  The other bridges all had low sections, and my recommendation is to allow it on them but it’s your call.  No bridges are permanently blocked, even with 12 wrecks, as you have engineer groups capable of removing those wrecks to clear the bridges.  Those familiar with the Bay Area will spot my “modifications” quickly.  To wit, there was no bridge that crossed between San Rafael and Richmond.  I added this to enhance gameplay, hence the moniker of “Puente Mysterio”.  If it helps, that bridge exists now, more or less, and it’s the Richmond/San Rafael Bridge.

Regards,

Dan

ps:  The scenario is not quite finished...just wanted to furnish you with some alternate history above...
10-29-2020, 03:36 PM,
Hey Dan,
I never realized that there were other Rising Sun fans on The Blitz. I like your scenario idea and I am available for input, testing & playing your scenario.

Rising Sun is my favorite Command Series game. Please keep me in mind.

Semper Fidelis,
Yossaian
11-07-2020, 08:16 AM,
(10-26-2020, 12:20 AM)Herr Straße Laufer Wrote: Dan Dan Dan! Respect3
Wow wow wow! Yikes2
Tora tora tora!
I have a little drool coming out of my mouth. (Or, that just might be my old age catching up to me.)
This one sounds interesting. Thumb Up2

Let us know when it is finished? I may need to get a team together for this one. Hello?

Farmer

HSL

HSL...I'm going to go ahead and post up the Beta in the scenario section.  To the best of my knowledge, it's good to go.  We're starting our first team test now.  I must admit however, trying to solo this via Hot Seat mode I barely made it 10 turns.  Large map.  Good to see you are still fired up for some of the old school stuff!  Find a team and enjoy!  I'm already committed to one match, and I'm not sure if I could handle playing two at once.  

Regards,

Alternate History Dan
(if I signed it Phillip K Dick would that have been sufficient?... LOL )
11-07-2020, 08:29 AM,
(10-29-2020, 03:36 PM)Yossarian Wrote: Hey Dan,
I never realized that there were other Rising Sun fans on The Blitz. I like your scenario idea and I am available for input, testing & playing your scenario.

Rising Sun is my favorite Command Series game. Please keep me in mind.

Semper Fidelis,
Yossaian

Hey Yossarian:

I might have something a little later...but it sounds like HSL might be starting another game and you might want to jump in that one?  I'm glad we have some RS fans out there.  Many of the island battles are so grim, players have lost their sense of intrigue.

I hope to rekindle that fire.

Regards,

Dan
11-11-2020, 04:34 AM,
Hey HSL and Yossarian and Randy et al:

The files are uploaded into the scenario section.

Rising Sun, "Red Sun Over San Francisco"

It's early, but these files are working well in my Beta test, so anyone game feel free to jump on in.

Regards,

Rising Sun (thank god something still rises) Man Dan
11-16-2020, 11:47 PM,
Well, I had a chance to look at this over the weekend.

I hate to say it but it is just too big a scenario for me, even played as a team game. 2cents2

It looks interesting and well designed. I just never have been a fan of minutes/hours of artillery fire.

I hope someone takes up the challenge and will let us know how it plays. Cheers6

Farmer

HSL