• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Question regarding map mods
10-11-2020, 09:27 PM,
Question regarding map mods
I see there are a lot of different map mods available for download in the 3rd Party Art Mods Forum. Some are pretty old. Do all the mods fit with the newer JTS Napoleonic battles?

If someone can guide me to a map mod somewhere else, where terrain heights can easily be distinguished and can be used in all Napoleonic titles I would be very thankful.
Quote this message in a reply
10-12-2020, 08:44 AM, (This post was last modified: 10-12-2020, 08:51 AM by -72-.)
RE: Question regarding map mods
(10-11-2020, 09:27 PM)Alpha Zwo Wrote: I see there are a lot of different map mods available for download in the 3rd Party Art Mods Forum. Some are pretty old. Do all the mods fit with the newer JTS Napoleonic battles?

If someone can guide me to a map mod somewhere else, where terrain heights can easily be distinguished and can be used in all Napoleonic titles I would be very thankful.

One of the issues in the series that complicates things, is that there are basically 3 different combinations of sides in titles with the Napoleonic series.

The 2 Peninsular War titles, and RBR include sides that are used for different sides in the other titles - so at a minimum it would mean there would be 3 different sets of graphics, even if the map itself were kept exactly the same.

Terrain heights being easily distinguishable can be a direct result of monitor settings- or in other words, it is possible for monitors to show graphics differently with just the settings being changed around - you get that with print graphics ... I'm not sure if they still have these things, but you used to be able to get a calibration device that you could strap on to your monitor to calibrate them - I never had any as I didn't want to spend the money, but they were mostly for printing photographs and the like- but the same sort of principle would apply to any type of graphic...

In other words, there isn't really any guarantee of a universal fit (or that what I see on my screen is exactly the same thing that you see on yours, if that makes sense)--- in my case, I tried to get there (not counting the winter graphics yet ... those still need work) -and make the elevations easily distinguishable. 

By and large, outside of the files showing sides - you can use the graphics from Musket and Pike and Napoleonic Battles interchangeably.  And with the Napoleonic series- the same idea holds, you can use them interchangeably apart from the graphics showing sides (technically they'd work even if you did not make any changes to the sides' graphics - but it might show the wrong sides for some nations).

I'll have a units/symbols set out shortly - technically I have the download up now, but I want to make some changes to it  (however it doesn't include the map yet, I haven't worked much within the newer zoom in size yet apart from coming up with units and hexes -so there is more to do there...).

The 'SDC set' is pretty old -and were not the latest set that I had worked on - what I have right now is far closer to Seven Years War, but with some changes that would have made it as stock into another formal project -excepting that I decided I really would rather work on stuff that I chose. Anyways there will be an History Design Center (HDC) set out soonish.
Bydand
Send this user an email
10-13-2020, 12:30 AM,
Thank you very much for your detailed answer. Not sure if I have understand everything but at least I understood that the same graphics may not look the same on different computers.

What do you mean by "different combinations of sides"?
10-13-2020, 03:16 AM,
Do you mean 2D or 3D?

3D:
You can exchange the 3DGround50 / 100 with each other! Even civil war games!

2D:
Attention! If everything is up to date you can also exchange the 2DGround50 / 100 and 2DGroundd50 / 100 with each other! But NOT to the Civil War games!
(At Wellington's Peninsular War I think the 2DGround50 / 100 and 2DGroundd50 / 100 are best seen! I liked the old 2DGround best! unfortunately these no longer fit!)
Greetings, HaPe
10-13-2020, 07:07 AM,
I only play 2D and just tried to exchange files and at least for me it looks much better now. Thanks for your reply.
10-13-2020, 08:21 AM, (This post was last modified: 10-13-2020, 08:28 AM by -72-.)
(10-13-2020, 12:30 AM)Alpha Zwo Wrote: Thank you very much for your detailed answer. Not sure if I have understand everything but at least I understood that the same graphics may not look the same on different computers.

What do you mean by "different combinations of sides"?

There are only so many sides allowed in the game.

In most titles in the series it is: France, Britain, Prussia, Russia, Austria, then basically a slot that doesn't get used  - but call it Sweden as when it was used - it was for Sweden.

In Wellington's Peninsular War, and Boneparte's Peninsular War  Prussia is swapped out for Portugal, and Sweden is swapped out for Spain (the other slots are not used).

In RBR - Sweden is swapped out for Bourbon France.

If you have a look at the 2DSymbols50, or 2DSymbols100, or 2DSymbolsMag.bmp files in the Map folder -you can see the various flags --- so basically there is a limit to the numbers of nations allowed by that engine (for comparison in Musket and Pike it is 15  -which makes it easier on guys interested in building scenarios).

But in a nutshell since there is that limit that is why there would need to be 3 different files for the series as a whole.   If you don't have WPW, BPW, or RBR - then you should be able to use the same one across all series.

I'll have to add a screenshot later - the limit here is too small.
Bydand
Send this user an email