• Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Questions about Headquarters
09-17-2020, 03:52 AM, (This post was last modified: 09-17-2020, 03:57 AM by Aaron.)
RE: Questions about Headquarters
Don't think there's enough room here to explain attachments but technically an HQ is not needed, I have my Corp assets that can be attached and it has no HQ, if I remember it's because it's listed as a Division and it's command is a Corp or Army HQ

Alot of this stuff you won't find in the manuals, you will be learning as you go, might want to play around with something small before tackling your project. With HTML one to many space or one to few in an OOB and it won't load in game.
Rangers Lead the Way
Quote this message in a reply
09-17-2020, 08:15 AM,
Yeah, I would try gaming out things a bit to get a feel, along with the manual. Except for Soviets, I believe only division formations can be assigned to a new corps.

So no matter what you do, you aren't going to be able to form ad hoc small battlegroups under a single HQ or formation. There was never resources devoted to adding the capability for making low level changes to the structure of formations. A bit unfortunately, but that was a line that JT apparently didn't want to cross. Not enough benefit for the time it would take to make it work - I can see how it would likely break the current structure that OOBs fall under, requiring a LOT of work.
[Image: exercise.png]
09-17-2020, 10:56 AM,
Thanks for the comments. Much appreciated.

I plan to start with the IX Corps landings in the south since I have the best documentation for that.

I found a detailed report from the 81st ID on their plans for Olympic at the CARL. This link for IX Corps: https://www.alternatewars.com/WW2/Downfa..._Corps.htm
This link for the 98th ID. https://www.alternatewars.com/WW2/Downfa.../98_ID.htm

Maybe I'll take a second pass to see what I can dig up on the 40th ID, and that RCT were up to off shore.

Also dug up the naval gunfire support plan. So I have had a lovely day sorting through the older BB's, CA's, and CL's. No fast BB's or Baltimore CA's for the fire support groups. Next up, the DD's and assorted LCI's and LSM®.
09-17-2020, 04:08 PM,
If the restriction is purely in the OOB structure, which I'd have to check, you could theoretically create a "corps"-level division which should allow you to reassign anything with an HQ in that formation.

The main issue in that case would be that the support assets you'd like to reassign don't have HQ's, whereas the organic regiments (and in some titles: battalions) of a division have an HQ.

Though being able to reassign support units and independent tank/engineer battalions would be nice, I feel in most cases you can "mimic" an attachment by how you use the units. They'll generally be operating in the same sector for a large part of the game, supporting the same one or two divisions.

Unlike Panzer Battles, with its unlimited opportunity fire, corps-level artillery units are flexible but not overpowered, so they're not necessarily better than divisional assets using the same guns.
09-29-2020, 08:41 PM,
The problem i see to HQs under divisional level is, apart increase number of units to move, the "infinite respawn" mode.

I want say that the only way to destroy a HQ forever is killing all units under the command of the HQ before destroy it... this is something frustrating when you are using regimental or battalion HQs because eliminating a HQ is not allways all the profitable it needs be, apart you can use the lower HQs as front lines... i did it in a game with german regimental HQ as emergency buff to defend a critical hex i simple cant loose to save a pair of divisions.

Other point is if you want use battalion HQs you are going to find an unit with infinite respawn that could be a problem with the presence of bunkers... you an destroy the battalion but if one company is alive HQs can fight again.

I am curious if is possible limit the number of HQs respawns, they only reform one time after be destroyed... or add an optional rule that made HQs CANT respawn when are destroyed, something that made their survive a lot more prioritary in player´s mind.

Other thing is that in the moment you CANT create HQs in the middle of a long scens "kampfgruppen" maybe ability to made units at battalion level and superior be direct attached to corps-army HQs. I refer you can select the 2nd battlaion of 1st regiment from X division and made it be under direct command of their corps HQ.

To be fair the only motive to have in game battalion HQs is special units like the helicopter units in MC and maybe when you want play with a more limited division-corps limited command ranges and regimental-battalion are needed to keep a command tree... one more rigid and less flexible... here i think the best use is in the Jarama37 mod because help units fight more as brigades-agrupaciones and made divisions miniarmies.