• Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Chance of gun loss
09-26-2020, 06:44 AM, (This post was last modified: 09-26-2020, 06:23 PM by LarkinVB.)
Chance of gun loss
Any knowledge on how artillery gun loss is calculated in counter battery fire versus just fatigue increase?

Is it more advantageous to fire all guns in a hex at once or to fire one unit after the other in counter battery fire?

If the calculation just sums up the propability to loose a single gun if all are fired at once, it is better to fire them unit by unit to propably destroy more than one gun.
Quote this message in a reply
09-26-2020, 11:55 PM,
RE: Chance of gun loss
(09-26-2020, 06:44 AM)LarkinVB Wrote: Any knowledge on how artillery gun loss is calculated in counter battery fire versus just fatigue increase?

Is it more advantageous to fire all guns in a hex at once or to fire one unit after the other in counter battery fire?

If the calculation just sums up the propability to loose a single gun if all are fired at once, it is better to fire them unit by unit to propably destroy more than one gun.

In answer to your questions, from Combat Results section of User Help.

Artillery gun losses resulting from enemy artillery are calculated on the basis of 1 gun = 25 men. Combat losses from artillery fire of less than 25 men result in a probability of a 1-gun loss proportional to the value. Thus, a combat loss of 5 men applied to an artillery unit would result in a probability of 5/25 = 20% that a one gun loss would occur.

This is not documented but I have been told
Firing multiple units at once does not increase the effectiveness of fire. Each unit's fire result is handled separately then the total casualties and fatigue are added together and the losses displayed. However, there are some advantages to firing stacked units.

This is also something I have learned.
    Firing stacked units does result in all the casualties being added together before checks are made for whether or not a unit will check morale and whether or not guns are destroyed or crews are killed.
09-27-2020, 07:19 PM,
Not quite sure I understand. If I fire with 4 artillery units and each would do 5 men damage, firing one by one would result in a 4 times 20% chance to destroy a gun. If I fire with the stack it would be 80% to destroy a gun? This is clearly worse as there is no chance to destroy more than one gun.
09-28-2020, 01:38 PM,
If you want to kill guns fire a stack of artillery not single units in that stack.
09-28-2020, 03:52 PM,
(09-28-2020, 01:38 PM)BigDuke66 Wrote: If you want to kill guns fire a stack of artillery not single units in that stack.

Why? Can you kill multiple guns that way as you can when firing one by one?
09-28-2020, 11:04 PM,
(09-28-2020, 03:52 PM)LarkinVB Wrote:
(09-28-2020, 01:38 PM)BigDuke66 Wrote: If you want to kill guns fire a stack of artillery not single units in that stack.

Why? Can you kill multiple guns that way as you can when firing one by one?

It takes a loss of 25 men from artillery fire to kill a gun.
Let's say you will get 10 men per unit firing.
If you fire a stack of 3 artillery units you kill 30 men.
According to the manual you get 1 gun killed and a 20% chance to kill another.
If you fire them separately you get 3 chances to kill a gun at 40% per shot.

Do you bet the 5-4 horse for $30 or three different horses at 5-2 for $10 each ?