• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Campaign Shiloh Opinions
09-25-2020, 12:16 AM,
Campaign Shiloh Opinions
The battle of Shiloh is one of my favorite subjects, so when I acquired some JTS-ACW titles it was one of those I acquired.

Having played a couple of battles via PBEM I have developed a very curious opinion about the design of this particular title and I'm curious what others think or have experienced. 

The battles I have played are not historical situations, they are "What ifs", of which the title has a great many.  They have all used the historical Shiloh OOB for the Army of Mississippi, and that is the focus of my question.  If others have played any of this titles battles, what are your thoughts and opinions on the OOB, particularly the Confederate Army of Mississippi, but Grant's Army of the Tennessee also.  I will kept my specific opinions for now to avoid prejudice to the conversation.

Thanks.
Quote this message in a reply
09-25-2020, 01:21 AM,
RE: Campaign Shiloh Opinions
I think it’s a pretty good game and I always enjoyed it, unfortunately current WDS version has original units ratings with too many A and B quality units as for this early period of the war. This issue was corrected in patch 1.03 (see Changes files) and new units ratings were OK. But right now they are again too high, imho.
09-25-2020, 01:41 AM,
RE: Campaign Shiloh Opinions
(09-25-2020, 01:21 AM)The_General Wrote: I think it’s a pretty good game and I always enjoyed it, unfortunately current WDS version has original units ratings with too many A and B quality units as for this early period of the war. This issue was corrected in patch 1.03 (see Changes files) and new units ratings were OK. But right now they are again too high, imho.

Wow, I missed that they had been adjusted once before, I can't imagine what they were previously.  I am finding that especially with large Southern Regiments (and there are more than a few, especially in Polk's Corps), with their high quality, and carrying muskets versus rifles, are laying waste to Union Regiments.  Killing 40-60 per shot even while the Union regiment is in woods (40% cover).  I was curious if anyone was involved in the testing knew whether these high quality rates were necessary to get the south through the woods to achieve the historical accomplishments of day 1 or if it was something else that resulted in such high quality ratings.