• Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Classic Avalon Hill Wargames
09-17-2020, 10:57 PM, (This post was last modified: 09-17-2020, 10:58 PM by Windhund42.)
Classic Avalon Hill Wargames
I'm trying to dispose of my small Avalon Hill classic board game collection I've owned since my boyhood in the 1960's but I can't seem to find a medium to offer them for sale so that others may have an opportunity to enjoy these games. It would be a shame to throw them in the dumpster as a last resort.  I suppose I could use Craigslist, Etsy, but not Ebay (got burned by them recently)

I found "boardgamegeek" on the web but it looks like its a European site.  I'm surprised The Blitz doesn'thave a "For sale/trade" forum (maybe it does but I can't seem to find one)

Any suggestions or recommendations about the would be greatly appreciated.
Quote this message in a reply
09-17-2020, 11:52 PM,
RE: Classic Avalon Hill Wargames
There's an Avalon Hill Facebook group if you're on the 'book...
09-18-2020, 04:53 AM,
(09-17-2020, 11:52 PM)LordDeadwood Wrote: There's an Avalon Hill Facebook group if you're on the 'book...

That's a good to know, thanks. After posting this morning I found a website for a company that buys Avalon Hill (and I'm assuming other) games.  It's called Noble Knight and they also have a brick and mortar store somewhere in Wisconsin.  They buy whole collections so I sent them an email with the list of my games and am awaiting an offer.  I'm not sure what that will be but I will just be happy to get these games in the hands of someone who will appreciate them rather than throwing them away.
09-18-2020, 08:44 PM,
(09-18-2020, 04:53 AM)Windhund42 Wrote:
(09-17-2020, 11:52 PM)LordDeadwood Wrote: There's an Avalon Hill Facebook group if you're on the 'book...

That's a good to know, thanks. After posting this morning I found a website for a company that buys Avalon Hill (and I'm assuming other) games.  It's called Noble Knight and they also have a brick and mortar store somewhere in Wisconsin.  They buy whole collections so I sent them an email with the list of my games and am awaiting an offer.  I'm not sure what that will be but I will just be happy to get these games in the hands of someone who will appreciate them rather than throwing them away.

I have sold some of mine in the past on eBay.  I've also acquired a number of new (to me) titles that way as well.  Actually a good number of the titles for sale on eBay are through Noble Knight, so if you sell to them that is where they will end up individually anyway.  Of course if you just want to unload the lot of them and not bother with posting them yourself (staging them, photographing components, documenting contents, etc.) then a lot sale to NK is a good option.  One way solves the problem quickly, the other may maximize your profits if you happen to have naything rare.
09-18-2020, 10:50 PM,
You could also watch to see if there is a wargamer's convention with an auction. But, that probably entails travel, hotel and other expenses. I've got some myself that has been in boxes for 30+ years. If ever they have a National Convention that I can make, they'll go there. It's not advertised like it used to be. Can look for a gamer's club or miniatures club. They might have info on that, if any are still around.
09-24-2020, 04:18 PM,
You could try Board Game Geek if you are a member or else join to sell games or trade.
I have to yet to buy thru the site but been a member for near 20 years.
Sometimes other members have made offers for my listed games.
The trade and selling feature there seems popular.
10-05-2020, 08:50 PM,
BoardgameGeek is probably the way to go if you don't want to put them on Ebay; it definitely is *not* a European site - most of the wargamers I know there circulate in all of the well known wargaming areas like Consimworld   - to be totally honest, it sort of sounds like one of those nudge posts to try to get a site to consider having a sales area.

For m money as a website owner- I wouldn't touch that idea with a 10 foot pole; I'd seen one guy actually spend some time cultivating some trust - to get a following if you will, even went so far as to play some PBEMS to establish a relationship ... then tried selling games he did not ever have ... or rather getting people to put money into a Paypall account - only never to have anything sent...

I don't know too many website operators (especially those who recently had an issue with the domains and paying for it), are too keen to actually take on that sort of thing too - sounds more like an invitation to them to make a rookie mistake.
Bydand
Send this user an email