• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Question on making CMBN look better
09-07-2020, 09:21 AM,
RE: Question on making CMBN look better
(09-07-2020, 05:57 AM)Weasel Wrote: The bugs are why I stopped playing long ago, but I figured for a quick WW2 shoot up against the AI ok, but right off the bat I noticed how much trouble a tank had going through a wooden gate or over a bush.  I was actually thinking of buying a modern war version but first of all the prices scared me away ($$$$$$$!!) and then once I started playing I realized I would rather put some money into John Tiller's Wolfpack or Danube '86.  But for wasting an hour it will do.

Thanks for the reply.

Yes, that's always bizarre to look at when 40-70 tons of colossi are stopped by a fence or wooden gate.Or a tank refuses to fire although there is a clear view and the cannon is not blocked.I could always freak out.
You mean like CM Black Sea?The demo had deterred me from buying the game.The game is nothing more than a mod by CMBN.
Quote this message in a reply
09-07-2020, 12:43 PM,
I didn't even think of the demos, I am so use to companies today expecting people to buy games on faith that I forgot that the CM games come with a demo, I will try one or two, but still the price is scary; if they are on steam (have never looked) at least they would go on sale from time to time.

Like I said, for wasting a few hours they are ok eh.
Some of us are busy doing things; some of us are busy complaining - Debasish Mridha
09-08-2020, 12:57 AM,
(09-07-2020, 12:43 PM)Weasel Wrote: I didn't even think of the demos, I am so use to companies today expecting people to buy games on faith that I forgot that the CM games come with a demo, I will try one or two, but still the price is scary; if they are on steam (have never looked) at least they would go on sale from time to time.

I reject Steam.A surveillance program that rummages through my hard drive and is of no use to me.
I only buy games with no surveillance software or forced online.For example at GOG.com.
Yes Battlefront is still doing game demos.This is an absolute exception in the gaming world today.
Today you have to orientate yourself on YouTube videos of other players whether you want to buy a game or not.
With all the bad unfinished games that keep appearing, this is even necessary.There is no money back when you buy today's games. In the past you could do that or you could sell it quickly on Ebay.
09-08-2020, 10:26 PM,
(09-07-2020, 08:55 AM)Westland Wrote: In some cases, however, this is not the case. The minutes display at the bottom right then turns red and continues from 00:00 to 01: 00,02: 00,03: 00 etc.Endless.I once let it run for 300 minutes and then stopped.
I had the problem again recently with player kghammer.We saw the game as a draw.
And in 2011 I already had the problem with my first MP.It was supposed to run for 45 minutes and ran for 75 minutes, then we stopped.And always quick battles!

If you still have the turn files where the game went of for an insane number of turns you can send it to Battlefront so they can have a look at it. I've played a fair number of pbems - both scenarios and QBs - and i never encountered this behaviour.

(09-07-2020, 08:55 AM)Westland Wrote: Exactly.You can use trucks and jeeps to block bridges or driveways in cities.And then let the crew get out and disappear.
This means that the abandoned vehicles remain standing as a block.
And cheaper than buying an anti-tank barrier.You save 200 rarity points.

I get what you're saying, but for me this is still a minor inconvenience at best. It's been a while since i last played CMx1, but if my memory serves correct, wasn't this an issue there as well?

(09-07-2020, 08:55 AM)Westland Wrote: The Priest Kangaroo is too expensive,too immobile and too slow.The Stuart V Ecce is better in all parameters.
You could always quickly transport Bazooka / PIAT, MG, sniper and reconnaissance units with it.Important in the field, because it is unbeatable fast.Wheeled vehicles are used on the road.

The Stuart Recce is like 78 pts and the Priest Kangaroo is like 84 pts, both are tracked vehicles armed with MGs. Granted, the Stuart is faster. I guess, since the Recce was used for recon in RL, BFC changed it so it behaves the same as an existing armored car.

(09-07-2020, 08:55 AM)Westland Wrote: Yes, that's always bizarre to look at when 40-70 tons of colossi are stopped by a fence or wooden gate.

Vehicles, both soft and hard can pass through fences/wooden walls. Only tanks can pass through stone walls. So, your statement isn't actually correct, unless you again encountered some strange bug :)

(09-07-2020, 08:55 AM)Westland Wrote: Or a tank refuses to fire although there is a clear view and the cannon is not blocked.I could always freak out.

CMx2 is a bit more complex in that regard :) Line of sight (LOS) is tracked separately than line of fire (LOF). Your tank might have LOS to a target, but not LOF. In more practical terms, the commander might spot the enemy target, but the gunner might not. That being said, there are still small LOS issues which probably will need to be ironed out. I've had circumstances where i felt my units should have spotted the enemy targets, but they did not.

(09-07-2020, 08:55 AM)Westland Wrote: You mean like CM Black Sea?The demo had deterred me from buying the game.The game is nothing more than a mod by CMBN.

Funny, i wasn't into modern wargaming until CMBS came out. That's why i never purchased or played CMSF1. I was somewhat reluctant to buy CMBS, but i did purchase it eventually and i had a ton of fun playing it.

(09-07-2020, 12:43 PM)Weasel Wrote: I didn't even think of the demos, I am so use to companies today expecting people to buy games on faith that I forgot that the CM games come with a demo, I will try one or two, but still the price is scary; if they are on steam (have never looked) at least they would go on sale from time to time.

CM: Shock Force 2 was just released on steam a week or so ago. It's the only CM game available on steam. It's also the most expensive (unless you buy just the base game) since it has the 3 modules/DLCs released. But yeah, the best way is to try the demos first and see if the game is your cup of tea.
Send this user an email
09-09-2020, 12:51 AM,
@raz_atoth

Then you've been lucky so far.At first I thought it only affects CMBN.But this bug also occurs in RT,FB and FI.

No, because in CMx1 tanks can push other vehicles away.But not in CMx2. How real is that?Imagine you are sitting in a 70 ton tank with 700 HP and you can't push a Willy Jeep away?Or modern war.That an M1A2 doesn't manage to overrun a wrecked truck.That would make any war with tanks totally absurd.I've never seen this in a WW2 game.

Yes, but the Kangaroo costs 200 rarity points more than the recce.

Of course I didn't mean stop.But slow down.Is almost the same as stopping tanks with jeeps.I mean,why does a tank become incredibly slow at full speed when it rolls over barbed wire or wooden fences?I've never seen it like this in reality.

Why should the gunner not recognize the target when the commander sees it?The commander gives the target values to the gunner.
It doesn't even have to be an enemy vehicle.In the game, the gunner fail at buildings or landscape targets.
Example: A tank is supposed to fire HE shells at a point on a field chosen by me.Completely unobstructed view.
The main weapon is not blocked in aiming.(no trees, bushes, ruins, etc.)
Even so,the tank doesn't fire, and that's always a reason to freak out.
09-11-2020, 08:49 PM,
(09-09-2020, 12:51 AM)Westland Wrote: Then you've been lucky so far.At first I thought it only affects CMBN.But this bug also occurs in RT,FB and FI.

Do you by any chance still have a save from a game where the counter kept going and going?

(09-09-2020, 12:51 AM)Westland Wrote: No, because in CMx1 tanks can push other vehicles away.But not in CMx2. How real is that?Imagine you are sitting in a 70 ton tank with 700 HP and you can't push a Willy Jeep away?Or modern war.That an M1A2 doesn't manage to overrun a wrecked truck.That would make any war with tanks totally absurd.I've never seen this in a WW2 game.

Obviously it's not real at all. CMx2, like any game, has it's limitations. Nothing to argue here. My point is this is not really a huge issue because:
a) this is quite gamey behaviour so most people won't do it
b) it's not exactly easy to have your truck/jeep blown in the exact spot you want - in order to block a road/bridge - since it tends to quickly back away if it comes under small arms fire/spots an enemy vehicle

(09-09-2020, 12:51 AM)Westland Wrote: Of course I didn't mean stop.But slow down.Is almost the same as stopping tanks with jeeps.I mean,why does a tank become incredibly slow at full speed when it rolls over barbed wire or wooden fences?I've never seen it like this in reality.

If i'd were to guess i'd say that AFVs slow down when crossing over obstacles for the same reason you & me would slow our cars down if we spot a hole in the road: to avoid damage to the vehicle. Or perhaps it's just another game engine limitation.

(09-09-2020, 12:51 AM)Westland Wrote: Why should the gunner not recognize the target when the commander sees it?The commander gives the target values to the gunner.
It doesn't even have to be an enemy vehicle.In the game, the gunner fail at buildings or landscape targets.
Example: A tank is supposed to fire HE shells at a point on a field chosen by me.Completely unobstructed view.
The main weapon is not blocked in aiming.(no trees, bushes, ruins, etc.)
Even so,the tank doesn't fire, and that's always a reason to freak out.

Due to the higher elevation of the commander he might see things the gunner can't. In this cases you might want to check the LOS line. If the line is solid blue, it means both gunner & commander can see the target. If it's gray, it means only one - probably the commander - can see it.

There is a bug in the game - which BFC said it's not easy for them to fix, which prevents a tank from firing  on the 2nd/3rd etc.. story of a building, if you don't have LOS to the 1st floor. Except this bug, i'm not aware of any other bug/limitation which would prevent the tank from firing if the field of fire is completely unobstructed.
Send this user an email
09-12-2020, 01:26 AM, (This post was last modified: 09-12-2020, 01:31 AM by Westland.)
@raz_atoth

Yes,the recently ended game against kghammer.The whole thing was a mirror match over 30 minutes.The first game ended correctly after 30 minutes, the second not, the timer turns red at 00:00 and the minutes continue.The data is still available. The game was CMFB v.2.03.

Sure the game has its limits, but why did it work in CMx1?I mean, why was something realistic changed into unrealistic? It worked very well in CMx1 with pushing vehicles away.
The jeeps or trucks don't run away when they come into contact with the enemy. I've already tested it.If roads or paths are available, jeeps and trucks can be brought quickly to the desired positions.Once there, let the crew get out and run away. They can also be shot at. It doesn't matter. The main thing is that the jeeps / trucks no longer have a driver.Thus these vehicles stand as a blockade against tanks.
I quickly sealed off all entrances to a village or town. The enemy can only infiltrate the town with infantry, while my tanks can shoot at all buildings without risk.As a flexible anti-tank barrier,so to speak.

I'm guessing there is a restriction in the game engine.

I understand already.But the line is light blue,so the commander and gunner can see the target.Nevertheless, sometimes there is no shooting.If there is a gray line, at least one machine gun will fire.
Yes, I also noticed the bug uncomfortably, that tanks refuse to shoot into houses.I recently had a game with a Sturmpanzer IV "Brummbär".He was standing 64 meters in front of a house and refused to shoot, although the light blue line indicated the roof and the 2nd floor.