• Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Boom! It Was There A Minute Ago
09-12-2020, 10:18 AM, (This post was last modified: 09-12-2020, 10:32 AM by Hawk Kriegsman.)
Boom! It Was There A Minute Ago
Well my 8 year old PC bit the dust hard today.   

Had to send the hard drive to a repair center in hopes that they can recover irreplaceable items. 

So I might be delayed on turns for a bit as I get things set up on my new machine. 

Stay safe and back up your data.               Yikes2
Quote this message in a reply
09-12-2020, 10:55 AM,
RE: Boom! It Was There A Minute Ago
Gonna need some help on this. 

Go this error when I tried to run EF, RS or WF. 

"The application has failed to start because it's side-by-side configuration is incorrect.  Please see the application event log or use the command-line sxstrace.exe tool for more detail."

I downloaded this from the Matrix website and added the patches. 

I have no idea what to do from here. 

I am marginally computer literate.
09-12-2020, 11:01 AM,
You need one of those cheapy back up mobile USB HDDs... put all you stuff on it, and reload when the WestD and Seagate choke..
Sorry to hear you had a loss, we all take chances, other wise we wouldn't be wargamers.. ey?
LMK if I can help you reload scenarios, Eric, I got a shitload on CD.

Dev
Faith Divides Us, Death Unites Us.... "We were never to say die or surrender" -- Chard
09-12-2020, 11:08 AM,
(09-12-2020, 10:55 AM)Hawk Kriegsman Wrote: Gonna need some help on this. 

"The application has failed to start because it's side-by-side configuration is incorrect.  Please see the application event log or use the command-line sxstrace.exe tool for more detail."

https://www.majorgeeks.com/content/page/...error.html

This might help you, read it a few times before you play tho.
Faith Divides Us, Death Unites Us.... "We were never to say die or surrender" -- Chard
09-12-2020, 12:13 PM,
(09-12-2020, 10:18 AM)Hawk Kriegsman Wrote: Well my 8 year old PC bit the dust hard today.   

Had to send the hard drive to a repair center in hopes that they can recover irreplaceable items. 

So I might be delayed on turns for a bit as I get things set up on my new machine. 

Stay safe and back up your data.               Yikes2

Probably too late, but this place is supposed to be incredible: https://www.300dollardatarecovery.com/

If/when you replace the hard drive, get a solid state one (SSD). No moving parts and rarely fail.
Resolve then, that on this very ground, with small flags waving and tinny blasts on tiny trumpets, we shall meet the enemy, and not only may he be ours, he may be us. --Walt Kelly
Send this user an email
09-12-2020, 12:17 PM,
(09-12-2020, 11:08 AM)RedDevil Wrote:
(09-12-2020, 10:55 AM)Hawk Kriegsman Wrote: Gonna need some help on this. 

https://www.majorgeeks.com/content/page/...error.html

This might help you, read it a few times before you play tho.

This is the one you want: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download...aspx?id=29

Install it and try again. If it doesn't work, uninstall the game, then reinstall. Make sure you have the latest patch.

Dave
Resolve then, that on this very ground, with small flags waving and tinny blasts on tiny trumpets, we shall meet the enemy, and not only may he be ours, he may be us. --Walt Kelly
Send this user an email
09-12-2020, 07:52 PM, (This post was last modified: 09-12-2020, 07:53 PM by Crossroads.)
Thanks Dave, yes, side by side error most often has to do with needing to install the VC++ 2008 redistributables. Good luck, Hawk, hopefully that helps!
Visit us at CSLegion.com
09-13-2020, 12:10 AM, (This post was last modified: 09-13-2020, 12:11 AM by Hawk Kriegsman.)
Dave you are the best.    Respect4

That fixed it right up and I am good to go. 

Hopefully the tech folks will be able to recover my data. They had to send my hard drive to a lab. 

Thanks to all.
09-13-2020, 12:46 AM,
If you don't have one, get one.....external hard drive. If your puter fails, plug into anther one and play until your main is fixed or new one is purchased. No reinstall involved. I've been using one for at least 10 yrs and it has failed 1 or 2 times. All I had to do was buy a new power cord, 20-30 bucks and I was good. The drive itself has never failed. It also keeps you puter from getting too much stuff on it. Highly recommend one.
09-13-2020, 01:18 AM,
I have 3 externals, a 6tb, 2tb. and a 1tb, I throw all my valuable stuff on two of them, hopefully both don't go at once then!!
Meine Ehre heisst Treue

http://www.cslegion.com/