• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Night Movement Fatigue
09-11-2020, 03:59 AM,
Night Movement Fatigue
Curious situation.  My opponent and I started a battle in Campaign Shiloh, scenario 80 "On the Road to Shiloh".  One of the optional rules I selected was Night Movement Fatigue.  I started the game as the Southerner and moved first, it was a dawn turn.  When I got the file back I noticed all of my units had acquired a smattering of fatigue (10 points I believe) and I mentioned in passing to my opponent that I didn't realize Dawn Turns would be considered "Night Turns".  Here's the thing though, his units acquired no fatigue on their first turn. 

Anyone have an explanation?  Is the game routine some sort of weird set up with the Southerner always considered to be moving second, so when a scenario starts with them moving first they're actually starting on the 2nd part of the turn (I am stretching I realize, but struggling to grasp why a rule would effect one side and not the other). 

I don't think 10 points of fatigue in a few dozen units will alter the play of a scenario that only lasts 1 day, but it would have implications for longer scenarios.
Quote this message in a reply
09-11-2020, 05:13 AM, (This post was last modified: 09-11-2020, 05:14 AM by The_General.)
RE: Night Movement Fatigue
I saw it also in Anietam, Gettysburg and Ozark games and it has a most damaging effect in the Gettysburg game where rebels get additional 50 fatigue when moving during their first dawn turn.
IMHO it’s a bug which appeared after the 3.0 update.
Let’s hope that it will be fixed soon.
I propose that you report it to JTS Support - maybe the more we clamor the sooner it will be fixed  Smile
09-11-2020, 08:19 AM,
(09-11-2020, 05:13 AM)The_General Wrote: I saw it also in Anietam, Gettysburg and Ozark games and it has a most damaging effect in the Gettysburg game where rebels get additional 50 fatigue when moving during their first dawn turn.
I propose that you report it to JTS Support - maybe the more we clamor the sooner it will be fixed  Smile

I did send off an email to report the glitch.  I guess the immediate solution is to not use that optional rule.  Seems a shame, but it's better than picking up fatigue on one side while the other is not.
04-19-2021, 09:13 PM,
(09-11-2020, 08:19 AM)Steel God Wrote:
(09-11-2020, 05:13 AM)The_General Wrote: I saw it also in Anietam, Gettysburg and Ozark games and it has a most damaging effect in the Gettysburg game where rebels get additional 50 fatigue when moving during their first dawn turn.

I did send off an email to report the glitch.  I guess the immediate solution is to not use that optional rule.  Seems a shame, but it's better than picking up fatigue on one side while the other is not.

Forgot about this (I bloody well shouldn't have to remember it) and it has just ruined an absolutely wonderful Gettysburg battle for me.  The over all lack of attention that this game series gets from JTS is appalling.  Makes me regret buying into it at the tune of 11 titles in 10 months.
06-22-2021, 07:35 PM,
I don't think this is a bug. The units start with a reduced movement value as if they had moved that turn. Therefore  they receive the 50 points of fatigue.

Please point me to a Gettysburg or Antietam scenario where units with full movement values at turn start receive night move fatigue and I will have a look.
07-04-2021, 06:42 PM, (This post was last modified: 07-04-2021, 10:00 PM by LarkinVB.)
Sorry, I was wrong, it is even worse! The first dawn turn is buggy. The starting side is treated as if having moved at night whereas the the other side is not penalized for its previous night move before dawn.
08-17-2021, 12:07 AM,
(07-04-2021, 06:42 PM)LarkinVB Wrote: Sorry, I was wrong, it is even worse! The first dawn turn is buggy. The starting side is treated as if having moved at night whereas the the other side is not penalized for its previous night move before dawn.

Oh it's definitely a bug because it repeats itself every morning.  On the first dawn turn of July 2nd and July 3rd the Confederates will incur 50 fatigue on any unit that has the audacity to move, while the Union player can move with impunity.  I've seen the bug in other games too.  You either have to take your beating and eat the fatigue; or find an opponent that will agree to a Gentleman's agreement to simply forgo his first dawn turn to level the field.  For damn sure I don't seen anyone at JTS rushing to address the obvious bug.
08-17-2021, 11:26 PM,
(08-17-2021, 12:07 AM)Steel God Wrote:
(07-04-2021, 06:42 PM)LarkinVB Wrote: Sorry, I was wrong, it is even worse! The first dawn turn is buggy. The starting side is treated as if having moved at night whereas the the other side is not penalized for its previous night move before dawn.

Oh it's definitely a bug because it repeats itself every morning.  On the first dawn turn of July 2nd and July 3rd the Confederates will incur 50 fatigue on any unit that has the audacity to move, while the Union player can move with impunity.  I've seen the bug in other games too.  You either have to take your beating and eat the fatigue; or find an opponent that will agree to a Gentleman's agreement to simply forgo his first dawn turn to level the field.  For damn sure I don't seen anyone at JTS rushing to address the obvious bug.

It isn't something that can be fixed with the editor either. Opening the scenario in the editor, those troops do not start with fatigue.
08-19-2021, 02:15 AM,
I tested it and can confirm that the side that begins the scenario is affected by the bug on the first dawn turn. One workaround I found: change the pdt dawn start time to something else by a number of minutes greater than the day turn length, play the turn, then change it back. Then both sides can get the move.

For example, in Gettysburg, the dawn start is 0400. Change the dawn start to 0330. Play the turn. Change it back to 0400.

Did you get a reply back from JTS support? I've been blowing up their inbox with bug reports lately and I keep getting replies.
08-23-2021, 05:06 PM,
Afaik it will be fixed with the next patch.