• Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Artillery overrun
09-09-2020, 03:57 AM, (This post was last modified: 09-09-2020, 04:00 AM by LarkinVB.)
Artillery overrun
Is there any advantage to overrun an enemy artillery with cavalry if you have to retreat your cavalry immediatly after?

Since the guns are not lost and can be recrewed I see no real benefit in doing so or are the artillery point losses still there after the guns are recrewed??

We are playing with the 'Artillery capture' optional rule.
Quote this message in a reply
09-09-2020, 05:39 AM,
RE: Artillery overrun
(09-09-2020, 03:57 AM)LarkinVB Wrote: Is there any advantage to overrun an enemy artillery with cavalry if you have to retreat your cavalry immediatly after?

Since the guns are not lost and can be recrewed I see no real benefit in doing so or are the artillery point losses still there after the guns are recrewed??

Recrewed Artillery ends up being Quality F (even if they were originally A or B Quality) so it's generally worth taking them for that purpose.  Also, if you can't haul them off you can always spike them if you can control them for one turn.
09-09-2020, 06:55 AM,
(09-09-2020, 05:39 AM)Steel God Wrote:
(09-09-2020, 03:57 AM)LarkinVB Wrote: Is there any advantage to overrun an enemy artillery with cavalry if you have to retreat your cavalry immediatly after?

Recrewed Artillery ends up being Quality F (even if they were originally A or B Quality) so it's generally worth taking them for that purpose.  Also, if you can't haul them off you can always spike them if you can control them for one turn.

Thanks, I didn't know recrewed artillery always has quality F. Nice to know. So this decreases its firepower by 20%.
09-09-2020, 07:18 PM, (This post was last modified: 09-10-2020, 07:34 PM by LarkinVB.)
Any limitations for a unit to spike guns apart from having not meleed/moved this turn(dismounted cavalry, not disrupted etc.) ?

EDIT: No, unit can even do its full move after spiking.