• Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Any tips on crossing open/clear terrain
09-11-2020, 04:10 AM,
RE: Any tips on crossing open/clear terrain
(09-11-2020, 02:28 AM)Mowgli Wrote:
(09-10-2020, 07:57 PM)Rigafan Wrote: Do you mind if I ask another question?

On my Grenada campaign, the second mission I think it is, there is a bridge with has some barbed wire infront of it. 

During the game I get a bulldozer reinforcement. I assume this is to clear the obstruction, the wire? But I cannot figure out how! I've looked in the manual and don't see the bulldozer!
You need to fire the bulldozer's weapon ("cat blade") at the wire-hex. It has a range of 1 and is an "in-line" weapon, so you can only target the front hex of the bulldozer with it (depending on the bulldozer's facing).

Thanks, I must not have taken note of the facing when I tried it.
Quote this message in a reply
10-12-2020, 10:13 AM,
RE: Any tips on crossing open/clear terrain
(09-07-2020, 06:35 PM)Barly Wrote: You might want to go into the Parameter Data editor and look at Infantry Movement Costs and Movement Costs(separate heading bit further down) as well.

You can change these values if you want,make "Clear terrain" a smaller cost and also look at Movement Costs a bit further down in the data lists and make "From Ground Cost" smaller.

I did this in Dien Bien Phu for example because in some Infantry Battles it was almost impossible to have fun since the Assault was just a crawl,also noting Dispersed units pay double Movement cost i think which creates an extra slow burden.If you do these changes back up the original .pdt and later on you may want to play vanilla again without changes and swap it back.

If you think to the history, Mike did an exceptional job of recreating the difficulty of the terrain and movement surrounding the battle.  Adjusting the filet you mentioned also  changes the impact on the defense since now the offense can move much easier than when the game was playtested for balance.  Initially when we were working on the game, I was worried about the bogging down effect at DBP, but after reading many of the great books on the battle, the more I appreciated the absolute difficulty that both sides had to face.  To me, it ranks as one of the most historically accurate games in the series.  

It's a slog, and a really hard slog,  and so was the actual battle.  Allowing faster movement, to me, changes the game into something the battle was not.  Just my opinion.
Site Commander: Task Force Echo 4
Quote this message in a reply