• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Please Suggest Me A New SB Title
09-05-2020, 03:15 AM,
RE: Please Suggest Me A New SB Title
(09-04-2020, 07:45 AM)Stejones82 Wrote: Allow me to suggest my favorite piece of advice for learning the nuance of the game.  Play some games with FOW on and Hot Seat mode.  Yes, I realize that means you play both sides.  But this is an excellent way to learn how spotting works; how ranged fire works and so on.  When you end the German turn and begin the Soviet, notice which German units drop out of sight, which Soviet units 'appear.'  Ask why. Use the hotkey "S" (visible hexes). Try long ranged fire from a gun or MG (Always remember the rule about fire effect halved at more than half-range).  See how "hold fire" prevents units from divulging their location with auto-defensive fire.  There's some really cool things you can learn like this.  Only takes a game or three, but you will learn lots.

(09-04-2020, 10:22 AM)Big Ivan Wrote:
(09-04-2020, 07:45 AM)Stejones82 Wrote: Allow me to suggest my favorite piece of advice for learning the nuance of the game.  Play some games with FOW on and Hot Seat mode.  Yes, I realize that means you play both sides.  But this is an excellent way to learn how spotting works; how ranged fire works and so on.  When you end the German turn and begin the Soviet, notice which German units drop out of sight, which Soviet units 'appear.'  Ask why. Use the hotkey "S" (visible hexes). Try long ranged fire from a gun or MG (Always remember the rule about fire effect halved at more than half-range).  See how "hold fire" prevents units from divulging their location with auto-defensive fire.  There's some really cool things you can learn like this.  Only takes a game or three, but you will learn lots.

I have to agree with this Stejones82!!

I'm just learning the system right now having been a Campaign Series player for so many years! Don't get me wrong, Campaign Series is still first on my plate!!!!

There is a lot to be learned from any SB title. It is subtle and I like that in a game. My favorites are the World at War Mod by Warhorse, Tour of Duty 'Nam, Eagles Strike and Red Victory. Gives me hours of enjoyment figuring the ins and outs. Wink

This is really good advice! I would never have thought about playing both sides but it makes sense. 

I'm going to print the manual off too so it's easier to reference when playing, hate reading on the screen
Quote this message in a reply
09-05-2020, 03:23 AM,
(09-04-2020, 07:30 PM)Barly Wrote: My favorites so far are Red Victory and Africa at War Mod for Pacific war.Standard Pacific War did not really grab me but the Africa Mod really did,so thematic.Red Victory on the other hand surprised me since I normally prefer West Front Europe scenarios but the Russian/German/Finn conflict really has grown on me.There is a lot of scenario variety in Red Victory,more so than Africa at War,both have great unit variety.Really like both of them.

Other titles I have are Eagles Strike,Dien Bien Phu,Vietnam,Soviet Afghan War.Have not played any of these nearly as much as the first 2 titles.However they all have their strong points and theme is important,you may not like a certain period.Note Soviet Afghan and also Vietnam(not tour) both have great mods as well.Have yet to play these much.See Task Force Echo 4.

Some good videos here,
https://www.youtube.com/c/SmartWargames/videos
particularly
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pk59RK4-NRI

Subscribed, thanks! 

I'm pushing towards pacific just for the Africa at War mod. I'm going to do some final research this evening then finally make a choice!
09-05-2020, 03:24 AM,
(09-05-2020, 03:15 AM)Rigafan Wrote: I'm going to print the manual off too so it's easier to reference when playing, hate reading on the screen

Another idea is to upload the PDF manuals to a IPad and you can read them whenever and wherever you want. Helmet Wink