• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Stone Walls and Breastworks?
08-25-2020, 11:32 PM,
Stone Walls and Breastworks?
If you're behind a stone wall and (attempt) to build breastworks, would you get the benefit of both?  Couldn't find a reference in the manual for it, and I'm thinking code is code, so maybe you would get the benefit of both, but from the common sense approach I'm thinking the wall is already better than any breastworks you can throw up so the game wouldn't give you anything for the effort.
Quote this message in a reply
08-26-2020, 02:46 AM,
RE: Stone Walls and Breastworks?
(08-25-2020, 11:32 PM)Steel God Wrote: If you're behind a stone wall and (attempt) to build breastworks, would you get the benefit of both?  Couldn't find a reference in the manual for it, and I'm thinking code is code, so maybe you would get the benefit of both, but from the common sense approach I'm thinking the wall is already better than any breastworks you can throw up so the game wouldn't give you anything for the effort.

Fire Modifiers add so firing through a hexside with both stone wall and breastworks would use both modifiers, if the hex was woods it would use that too.

For melee you only get the best hexside modifier, hex terrain modifiers do nothing for melee.

If you want to check this or anything else you can set up a test scenario in the editor with what ever situation you want to test.  Simply open the editor, load a scenario that has the terrain you want to look at, do a Save As !test this will put it at the top of the scenario  list.  Then make any changes you want and save it.
Open the game, load the !test scenario in Normal mode, this will leave FOW off, make sure you don't have the Optional EFOW on.  In Settings Menu  make sure On Map Results is off.  When you fire or melee you'll see the results in a text box that shows the modifiers.
Been using this method for testing things out myself.
08-26-2020, 08:36 AM, (This post was last modified: 08-26-2020, 08:37 AM by Steel God. Edit Reason: Spelling )
RE: Stone Walls and Breastworks?
(08-26-2020, 02:46 AM)krmiller Wrote:
(08-25-2020, 11:32 PM)Steel God Wrote: If you're behind a stone wall and (attempt) to build breastworks, would you get the benefit of both?  Couldn't find a reference in the manual for it, and I'm thinking code is code, so maybe you would get the benefit of both, but from the common sense approach I'm thinking the wall is already better than any breastworks you can throw up so the game wouldn't give you anything for the effort.

Fire Modifiers add so firing through a hexside with both stone wall and breastworks would use both modifiers, if the hex was woods it would use that too.

For melee you only get the best hexside modifier, hex terrain modifiers do nothing for melee.

If you want to check this or anything else you can set up a test scenario in the editor with what ever situation you want to test.  Simply open the editor, load a scenario that has the terrain you want to look at, do a Save As !test this will put it at the top of the scenario  list.  Then make any changes you want and save it.
Open the game, load the !test scenario in Normal mode, this will leave FOW off, make sure you don't have the Optional EFOW on.  In Settings Menu  make sure On Map Results is off.  When you fire or melee you'll see the results in a text box that shows the modifiers.
Been using this method for testing things out myself.

Thanks, appreciate the insight