• Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

A rookie approach to Omaha Beach
08-20-2020, 09:19 PM,
A rookie approach to Omaha Beach
Just purchased Normandy'44 as my birthday gift  Big Grin2 
Obviously I started with scenario #2-Omaha-1_Alt, partly to catch the feeling of the old boardgame "Omaha The Bloody Beach" by The Gamers.
I didn't get disappointed because my first try endend in a bloody disaster.
I landed everything as soon as it was available and the congested beaches were a perfect target for the german guns.

Attached Files
.png   Omaha.png (Size: 464.16 KB / Downloads: 12)
.png   Omaha VP.png (Size: 13.3 KB / Downloads: 9)
Quote this message in a reply
08-20-2020, 09:26 PM,
RE: A rookie approach to Omaha Beach
On the second try I have kept my reinforcements afloat, welcoming to the beach only those that I was needing, mainly engineers, tanks and AT guns, but little infantry.
It went a little better  but not well; the problem being that I wasn't able to know what and where the reinforcements actually were after they made in the arrived "box" and out of the scheduled one.
Ok I have a bad memory, I blame it on the age.

Attached Files
.png   Omaha 2nd Try Final.png (Size: 63.7 KB / Downloads: 9)
.png   Omaha 2nd Try VP Final.png (Size: 14.63 KB / Downloads: 5)
08-20-2020, 09:27 PM,
So I have created two little tools that allow my little brain to decide what and where bring the reinforcements.

Attached Files
.png   Omaha Planning Map.png (Size: 346.23 KB / Downloads: 14)
.pdf   Omaha Reinforcements.pdf (Size: 41.98 KB / Downloads: 11)
08-20-2020, 09:35 PM,
Now my strategy is to bring the first two waves and wait to bring in the rest until the xehes they would land are clear of mines, moreover I will abstein to fire on my own turn to negate the opportunity fire of the german artilley.
As soon as the beachs are free from mines I will bring in tanks and AT guns to blast at the bunkers and finally bring in the infantry only where the germans are disrupted and the breaches open.

Any better approach will be most useful  Smile

P.S.
If some kind hearted opponent is willing to teach me how to break out from Omaha, I will gladly play the german side  Rolling Eyes
08-20-2020, 11:35 PM,
Easy.
Don't play the _Alt version. Big Grin

The _Alt version is brutal (and IMHO far too much so).
Improved bunkers, AT-ditches that have to be removed before any assault can actually take place, Alt. Assault as default, and a 200% TEM.
No thanks, I get enough punishment in my daily life.

Should I ever decide to play an _Alt campaign, I'd give serious consideration to simply not landing at Omaha in the first place. Germans will have their hands full keeping back the Brits/Canadians in the first place.
And if by some miracle the Yanks actually make it off Omaha, they'll be in no shape to support any of the other landings. All you'll be doing is offering the Germans free casualty-points.
08-21-2020, 12:05 AM,
(08-20-2020, 11:35 PM)CheerfullyInsane Wrote: Easy.

Improved bunkers, AT-ditches that have to be removed before any assault can actually take place, Alt. Assault as default, and a 200% TEM.

Should I ever decide to play an _Alt campaign, I'd give serious consideration to simply not landing at Omaha in the first place. Germans will have their hands full keeping back the Brits/Canadians in the first place.
And if by some miracle the Yanks actually make it off Omaha, they'll be in no shape to support any of the other landings. All you'll be doing is offering the Germans free casualty-points.

Big Grin2 that's the trick.
Good to know.
08-21-2020, 07:58 AM,
(08-21-2020, 12:05 AM)Andrea G Wrote:
(08-20-2020, 11:35 PM)CheerfullyInsane Wrote: Easy.

Big Grin2 that's the trick.
Good to know.

You have put quite a bit of work into analysing the scenario in order to understand and master it. That should always be applauded. 

Unfortunately as CheerfullyInsane has said the ALT version makes it almost impossible to get off the beach. If you search the forum you will find other people also voicing the same same frustration with the scenario. My usual stock reply is to suggest that players change the pdt file and lower Beaches to 100% TEM. This marginally helps but you you still need a great deal luck to get anywhere. 

Of course doing this in the campaign game means that it becomes easier to get off the other beaches. I think a creative modder could get around this by using a terrain type available but not used in the Normandy 44 game (eg Jungle?) then a modder could use that to make Omaha Beaches and change the TEM to 100%.
08-21-2020, 08:05 PM, (This post was last modified: 08-21-2020, 08:09 PM by CheerfullyInsane. Edit Reason: Typo-corrections )
(08-21-2020, 07:58 AM)Plain Ian Wrote: Of course doing this in the campaign game means that it becomes easier to get off the other beaches. I think a creative modder could get around this by using a terrain type available but not used in the Normandy 44 game (eg Jungle?) then a modder could use that to make Omaha Beaches and change the TEM to 100%.

Not really necessary to go to those lengths.
I mean, yes it will make the other landings easier as well, but unlike Omaha they're pretty much given if by no other means than the sheer number of Allied troops that land.
So lowering the beach TEM across the board won't affect the overall game much, but as you pointed out yourself, it doesn't really solve the Omaha problem.

A better way (at least IMHO) is to keep the TEM as is, and instead not using the Alt. Assault OR.
The basic problem with Omaha isn't so much the TEM (although that obviously hurts), it's that even if the US survive they have very few Hard Attack capable weapons, and only the few tanks around can use them in assaults.
Making any Germans in bunkers almost impervious.

Without Alt. Assault the US at least have a chance of inflicting some casualties and triggering morale checks by assaulting. It'll be across embankments against dug-in troops, so it won't be pretty, but it will eventually succeed.

It is perhaps worth noting that in the Japan '45/'46 games the Alt. Assault OR is no longer default. :)
08-22-2020, 03:07 AM,
I will disable the Alt. Assault and try again, thanks
08-24-2020, 07:52 AM,
Good luck with your third landing!!