• Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

New Panzer Campaigns Features & call for Manuals Updates
08-27-2020, 04:52 PM, (This post was last modified: 08-27-2020, 05:21 PM by Mowgli.)
RE: New Panzer Campaigns Features & call for Manuals Updates
Hidden deployment sounds very nice! :) An interesting and arguably simpler option to boost recon units would have been to make recon units NOT trigger any opportunity fire.

This would have helped them a) to survive better, thus drastically boosting their usefullness for scouting within the current framework of game mechanisms, and b) would have got rid of the tactic/exploit to draw the opponent's opportunity fires with "cheap" recon units before the main force moves in. (Note that you can still use recon units to block the enemy's LOS in order to reduce his opportunity fires - unless he's on a hill, that is).
Quote this message in a reply
08-27-2020, 11:12 PM,
What about doubling or tripling the patrolling range for recon units and being able to keep them in patrolling mode while in tmode? If used in a traditional combat situation, they have to exit patrol mode first. Something like that.
09-08-2020, 02:57 PM,
(08-10-2020, 11:37 PM)Kool Kat Wrote:
(08-09-2020, 02:47 PM)Strela Wrote: Hi Everyone,

1. Optional Amphibious Rules. As written in the manual: Some units are classified as being Amphibious.  Amphibious units in Travel Mode can cross River and Canal hex sides at the cost of their entire Movement Allowance. If the Optional Amphibious Rule is selected, Amphibious units can enter and exit a full water at the cost of their entire Movement Allowance.  It can only enter and exit the water hex via a non-water hex. Essentially this rule allows a unit to traverse through a single full water hex. Previously amphibious units could only cross hex side rivers and canals. This rule was needed for Walchern Island scenarios and will be useful for other titles.
Hope these are all welcome changes and again please let me know of any changes that are needed for the manuals.

Thanks!

David

Hi David: Smoke7

In the Modern Campaigns Series, it is not possible to "force" an amphibious unit to cross adjacent River and Canal hex sides. For example, I have a WP mech unit adjacent to a river hex. I place it into Travel Mode and then attempt to move it to the adjacent hex on the other side of the River hex. Instead of crossing over the adjacent River hex, it speeds down the road network and tries to cross at the first available heavy bridge!  Yikes  

How can players avoid that misstep?   Batman Confused
You can always move a unit hex by hex. Just don't drag'n'drop it.

I use the AI movement a lot, and it frequently makes these stupid choices. I have to try and remember, when moving, to  check for easier/cheesier moves that a unit might make if not give precise directions.
10-11-2020, 05:51 PM,
I don't know whether it is edited in future manual or the call to update the manual is still continuing, but on the page 92 of the manual, it states that:

Detached units have 1 subtracted from their Morale value. Detached units (not A and B quality) from Fragile Morale Nation have 2 subtracted from their Morale value when attempting to rally. Also, Detached units do not receive replacements.

There are some problems in those three sentences.

1-) The obvious one, Detached units do receive replacements, albeit one quarter of usual (?) . It was FWWC which units cannot receive replacements while they are Detached, it is clearly stated in the latest update of FWWC and the page 123 of the PzC manual correctly (?) states that detached units receive one fourth of the usual replacements.

2-) 'Attempting to rally' is not explained anywhere in the manual. I assume that it means 'recovery from disruption/brokenness'.

3-) Detached units having a -1 Morale penalty is also a FWWC thing. I am not sure, but doesn't 'attempting to rally' also hold true for that part? Separating those into two sentences makes it as if the statement in the first sentence always happens and statement in the second sentence happens with a required condition.
:(
10-20-2020, 12:29 PM,
Hi All,

As we do final tasks for Scheldt '44, we have done a latest round of updates for the game manuals.

We have tried to find everyone's comments and adjust/correct/update where applicable. This will include all game changes coming with Scheldt's release as well.

Please feel free to post any observations or issues in this thread so I can see if I can update any late breaking issues.

Thanks,

David

Link to PzC user manual; Download user manual

Link to PzC pzc manual; Download pzc manual
10-21-2020, 11:30 AM, (This post was last modified: 10-21-2020, 11:31 AM by HMCS Rosthern.)
To follow up on another chain. In this text uses the terms "vacated" and "abandoned". I think they mean the same thing. If true the text can be updated. 

The defensive benefits of a fortification are cut in half whenever:
• A Fortification is vacated.
• When it is occupied by the opposite side, or
• When the defenders lose an assault but are unable to retreat.
Full-strength Fortifications have the fort type displayed in the Terrain Info Box
in ALL CAPS (example: TRENCH). Abandoned forts, or forts occupied by the
opposite side are listed in the Terrain Info Box in upper and lower case
(example Trench). Improved Positions and Trenches that have been
abandoned, can be restored to the existing full-strength status by a unit
successfully "Digging-In" again. Abandoned Bunkers and Pillboxes can never
be restored to full strength once abandoned or captured.

What is meant by this sentence? "Abandoned Bunkers and Pillboxes can never be restored to full strength once abandoned or captured.". If an unoccupied "Bunker" starts the scenario as "vacated", I can occupy it with an engineer (in some scenarios) and build a "BUNKER". That appears to contradict the sentence because it started as "vacated"/"abandoned". If I leave that "BUNKER" it reverts to "Bunker", which is "vacated/abandoned". This rules suggest that you can only change from "Bunker" to "BUNKER" once.
10-21-2020, 12:16 PM,
(10-21-2020, 11:30 AM)HMCS Rosthern Wrote: To follow up on another chain. In this text uses the terms "vacated" and "abandoned". I think they mean the same thing. If true the text can be updated. 

Full-strength Fortifications have the fort type displayed in the Terrain Info Box

What is meant by this sentence? "Abandoned Bunkers and Pillboxes can never be restored to full strength once abandoned or captured.". If an unoccupied "Bunker" starts the scenario as "vacated", I can occupy it with an engineer (in some scenarios) and build a "BUNKER". That appears to contradict the sentence because it started as "vacated"/"abandoned". If I leave that "BUNKER" it reverts to "Bunker", which is "vacated/abandoned". This rules suggest that you can only change from "Bunker" to "BUNKER" once.

Thank you, this is great. Let me review and double check in game behaviour as well as standardise the language as needed.

We have also seen an issue with ferrying that I am reviewing currently.

Cheers,

David
10-22-2020, 12:52 PM,
Stacking

Within each hex, stacking is measured in terms of total number of men, or
equivalent. For stacking purposes, each vehicle or gun is considered to be the
same as 10 men. The total stacking value in the current hex can be found in
the center of the Terrain Info box by right-clicking in the Hex Info Area. Two
stacking limits apply in the game. Both of these values can be found in the
display of Parameter Data. The Maximum Stacking Limit is the total number of
men or equivalent that can be in the hex at any one time, not counting units in
Rail Mode (see Movement). The Road Stacking Limit is the maximum number
of men or equivalent that can travel via Road Movement through a hex. It is
also the maximum number of men or equivalent that can travel via Rail Mode
through a hex. As a special case, only 4 ships can stack in the same hex.

The Road Stacking Limits item of the Highlight submenu of the View
Menu can be used to highlight units on the map that are in stacks that
exceed the limits for using Road Movement

The Road Stacking Limit is the maximum number of men or equivalent that can travel via Road Movement (in travel mode) through a hex. A single unit is not a stack. So a single unit with a strength greater than the road stacking limit can move along a road. If there is more than one unit simultaneously moving along the road the total strength of the stack can not exceed the road stacking limit. Alternatively if you want to enter a hex using the road movement rate, the total strength of the units in travel mode already in the hex plus the unit(s) entering the hex in travel mode cannot exceed the road stacking limit. Of course this does not the unit from entering the hex using non-road movement rate.

Does a stack of units in a hex NOT in travel mode in anyway influence whether unit(s) can enter the hex using road movement rate?
Does a unit or a stack NOT in travel mode in a non-clear hex (e.g., town hex) prevent another unit from entering the hex, even if the total strength of travel mode units that will be in the hex is less than the road stacking limit? I ask this because I have examples of where a single unit in a town was preventing a travel mode unit from entering even though there were no travel mode units in the hex, and even when the unit in travel mode is adjacent at the start of the turn. (It was in Kharkov '43).
10-22-2020, 09:28 PM,
(10-22-2020, 12:52 PM)HMCS Rosthern Wrote: Stacking

Within each hex, stacking is measured in terms of total number of men, or
equivalent. For stacking purposes, each vehicle or gun is considered to be the
same as 10 men. The total stacking value in the current hex can be found in
the center of the Terrain Info box by right-clicking in the Hex Info Area. Two
stacking limits apply in the game. Both of these values can be found in the
display of Parameter Data. The Maximum Stacking Limit is the total number of
men or equivalent that can be in the hex at any one time, not counting units in
Rail Mode (see Movement). The Road Stacking Limit is the maximum number
of men or equivalent that can travel via Road Movement through a hex. It is
also the maximum number of men or equivalent that can travel via Rail Mode
through a hex. As a special case, only 4 ships can stack in the same hex.

The Road Stacking Limits item of the Highlight submenu of the View
Menu can be used to highlight units on the map that are in stacks that
exceed the limits for using Road Movement

The Road Stacking Limit is the maximum number of men or equivalent that can travel via Road Movement (in travel mode) through a hex. A single unit is not a stack. So a single unit with a strength greater than the road stacking limit can move along a road. If there is more than one unit simultaneously moving along the road the total strength of the stack can not exceed the road stacking limit. Alternatively if you want to enter a hex using the road movement rate, the total strength of the units in travel mode already in the hex plus the unit(s) entering the hex in travel mode cannot exceed the road stacking limit. Of course this does not the unit from entering the hex using non-road movement rate.

Does a stack of units in a hex NOT in travel mode in anyway influence whether unit(s) can enter the hex using road movement rate?
Does a unit or a stack NOT in travel mode in a non-clear hex (e.g., town hex) prevent another unit from entering the hex, even if the total strength of travel mode units that will be in the hex is less than the road stacking limit? I ask this because I have examples of where a single unit in a town was preventing a travel mode unit from entering even though there were no travel mode units in the hex, and even when the unit in travel mode is adjacent at the start of the turn. (It was in Kharkov '43).

I went looking for some of the text you quoted and realised that the following was not from the manual;

A single unit is not a stack. So a single unit with a strength greater than the road stacking limit can move along a road. If there is more than one unit simultaneously moving along the road the total strength of the stack can not exceed the road stacking limit. Alternatively if you want to enter a hex using the road movement rate, the total strength of the units in travel mode already in the hex plus the unit(s) entering the hex in travel mode cannot exceed the road stacking limit. Of course this does not the unit from entering the hex using non-road movement rate. 

To answer your specific questions;

Yes, whether a unit is in travel mode or deployed is irrelevant. All units contribute to the stacking limit and once the road limit is exceeded no unit can benefit from the road movement rate into a hex. Note that there is no impact if the unit is moving out of the hex as it is considered to have paid the price already.

Does a unit or a stack NOT in travel mode in a non-clear hex (e.g., town hex) prevent another unit from entering the hex, even if the total strength of travel mode units that will be in the hex is less than the road stacking limit?

No, it doesn't block - if the moving unit has sufficient movement points to enter the hex not in travel mode. Please remember that units can always move one hex, so if a unit started next to another unit (in travel mode or not) it can move into an occupied hex as long as it doesn't exceed the overall stacking limit.

Thanks,

David
10-22-2020, 09:32 PM,
(10-21-2020, 11:30 AM)HMCS Rosthern Wrote: To follow up on another chain. In this text uses the terms "vacated" and "abandoned". I think they mean the same thing. If true the text can be updated. 

I have gone back and tested this area and realised that there was a number of erroneous statements. Here is the revised text;

• A Fortification is vacated, or

Full-strength Fortifications have the fort type displayed in the Terrain Info Box in ALL CAPS (example: TRENCH). Vacated forts, or forts occupied by the opposite side are listed in the Terrain Info Box in upper and lower case (example Trench). Improved Positions and Trenches that have been vacated, can be restored to the existing full-strength status by a unit successfully "Digging-In" again. Bunkers can only be restored to full-strength status by a non-bridge engineer successfully “Digging-In”. Note, a Bunker uses the Bunker probability to restore full-strength status while Improved Positions and Trenches use the Digging-In probability. Vacated Pillboxes can never be restored to full strength once vacated or captured.

Thanks,

David