• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Fixed Unit Releases?
08-02-2020, 09:34 AM,
Help  Fixed Unit Releases?
What is it that determines when fixed units are released? Beyond the "scheduled" time? I have some units that have the asterisk next to them in the release dialog box, which I understand means they were not released at their scheduled time. Fine. But then there are a couple of question marks in the listing instead of a percentage. Is there a parameter that controls it, or what? 

Also, there seems to be a limit to the number of times per turn that I can target a particular hex with indirect fire. After I've hit it 3 or 4 times, that hex is never again "lit up" as a target for any indirect fire unit, regardless of spotters or range or anything. This is the first time I've noticed this. Again, I looked for a parameter of some sort but didn't see it. Inquiring minds want to know...
Quote this message in a reply
08-02-2020, 03:17 PM,
RE: Fixed Unit Releases?
If i understand your release question, releases are set to release with a percent chance of release. With FOW on, the percentage is not displayed but a ? instead. Now, maybe you are saying you have some with a percentage showing and others with a ?, but please point out the scenario so I can see that if this is the case, even though I don't think that is what you are looking at. Just want to be sure.

For Indirect limits, there is a section in the Users manual stating:

Total indirect fire on any one hex per turn limited to 1.5 max stacking value.

This is not easy to find - it was buried in a diffs from PzC section, rather than under IF. That is something that could be updated in a future update, just to make it more clear and easiere to find. However, based on this, there is no param for it.

Rick
[Image: exercise.png]
08-02-2020, 10:10 PM,
(08-02-2020, 03:17 PM)Ricky B Wrote: If i understand your release question, releases are set to release with a percent chance of release. With FOW on, the percentage is not displayed but a ? instead. Now, maybe you are saying you have some with a percentage showing and others with a ?, but please point out the scenario so I can see that if this is the case, even though I don't think that is what you are looking at. Just want to be sure.

For Indirect limits, there is a section in the Users manual stating:

Total indirect fire on any one hex per turn limited to 1.5 max stacking value.

This is not easy to find - it was buried in a diffs from PzC section, rather than under IF. That is something that could be updated in a future update, just to make it more clear and easiere to find. However, based on this, there is no param for it.

Rick

Thanks for the explanation. I wasn't thinking about the FoW effect on the release probability; that explains that. And yeah, the max IF limit should probably be moved to the section on IF. I don't think I had run into that before. What is the historical/practical reason for the limit? Seems kind of arbitrary to me...
08-03-2020, 03:26 AM,
I can't weigh in on the HOW it was determined. But having a limit would be pretty accurate - a 250 meter hex wouldn't be targeted by an entire army's worth of artillery in a 20 minute period. 1.5 times the stacking limit would be around 4 8 gun/5 6 gun batteries/sections, with a bit left over for mortars. That would be majority of a full division's internal artillery tubes, aimed at even in the attack less than a quarter of the attack frontage.

I don't believe the Soviets at the peak of their artillery storms had much more than that focused on a 250 meter front. Also, adjusting the fall of shots would be impossible with that many firing, meaning there should be a drop off in effectiveness as more artillery is fired into a hex, but since artillery is fired sequentially in the game, rather than all together in reality, it may be hard to devise a method of adjusting effectiveness, as all fire should be lowered, but a player can adjust as he goes.

Rick
[Image: exercise.png]
08-05-2020, 06:45 PM,
Rick has covered off the rationale pretty well.

As it stands a pretty substantial portion of a division's guns could fire on a single 250 metre hex with the current rules. We believe we have it pretty right currently.

David
08-05-2020, 09:25 PM,
Thanks for the explanation.