• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Campaign Gettysburg 3D unit scale
07-31-2020, 06:37 PM,
Campaign Gettysburg 3D unit scale
Can I download any files that make the 3D units,infantry,artillery and cavalry smaller in scale?

I like the tiny units in Matrix Battlegrounds Civil War reboot,can I get a similar look in JTS Gettysburg?
I noticed for example,that  3dunits100c .bmp  is infantry and similarly named files correspond to  the other arms.
The few mods I have downloaded so far only seem to include 3dunits100a.bmp and no other units,.
Quote this message in a reply
07-31-2020, 11:06 PM,
RE: Campaign Gettysburg 3D unit scale
I wanted something I can use in Gettysburg that is similar in scale to the Napoleonic mods available here,
https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.as...page=1&key=
08-01-2020, 03:10 AM, (This post was last modified: 08-01-2020, 03:13 AM by Lowlander. Edit Reason: clarification )
Rolf Hall's Regimental Scale Graphics is what you are looking for, here is a link to the site.
Play safe and make a copy of your original unit files first.

http://brettschulte.net/ACWCGDC/rolfhallGraphics.htm

give us a update on your progress.
08-01-2020, 02:01 PM,
Thanks for your suggestion,that scale is exactly what I wanted.
I might have downloaded the wrong file but I think only part of these unit files are correct for the current version of the game.
I downloaded set a,b,c,d from your reference.Set a is supposed to be for Gettysburg,but I tried other sets too.
I got the 3D unit graphics to work but not for cavalry or infantry,about half worked for infantry and 1/5th worked for cavalry,most units are not shown on battlefield.
The files in question are 3dunits100b.bmp (cavalry) and 3dunits100c.bmp (infantry) ,the 50 scale is not so concerning but they are similar(most dont show).The files 3dunits100a and d/e/f/g I think are OK-Artillery,limbered arty,wagons,leaders,boats(?not sure) all work good.The units like Arty and leaders,etc work great and look really nice in scale.And when the infantry appear they look great also.

I think the problem is the file dimensions,
for example original file of 3dunits100b is 444 by 18847 pixels,new file is only 444 by 378.
Similarly original file of 3dunits100c is 792 by 23034 ,new file is 792 by 1584.
I think game references certain unit graphics that are not present in the new files,so some units get pictures but most don't.

Ideas?
08-01-2020, 05:07 PM,
I used these graphics in the HPS era as I played the games in 3D mode, but since the advent of the upgrade with 2D Large zoom I very rarely use the 3D mode, furthermore the new 3D Maps graphics files look like foam, like sponge IMHO, maybe my PC is set up wrong as I use it in gaming mode.
Have the games but busy elsewhere.
Used to be a ACW gaming site, might be better to look around the net.
08-02-2020, 01:38 AM,
Set A was the correct set for the old HPS and JTS games up until the last updates.
The 3.0 ACW versions use the graphics from the Old Banshee website along with new OOB's that have pointers to the new 3D unit files. 
The new 3D file for the infantry has some 300 picture sets while the originals and Rolf's had 35 or so.

I would guess a lot of the units have 3D pointers in the oob that do not exist in Rolf's set.
The oob points to a picture that doesn't exist so you get nothing.
You could modify the oob's 3D pointers to use Rolf's old file, however you are talking about some 30 oobs in Gettysburg.
08-02-2020, 01:42 PM,
Cool thanks for the info;
I had a feeling that was the case about the picture sets and also the OOBs.

One thing I did do was download some old base style 3d base .bmps to replace the updated default big 3d bases.These smaller bases solve half my issue in the sense of making the unit half the size compared to the big bases.
This is good enough.

I do play the 2D map component but the 3D map component has grown on me and now I like to use both.

I will have to read up on the OOB editing ,I saved a pdf of the site that outlines changing them.Sounds like a bit of work but I will give it a go,maybe not straight away.

I really like this game it has grown on me,only had it for a week or two,bought on a whim after buying a bevy of Squad Battles titles(which I also am addicted to).
08-02-2020, 09:07 PM,
I just checked my game, I use Rolf Halls limbers and wagon files 3DUnits50d and 3DUnits100d, these should be universal throughout the game series.
Will give your bases idea a whirl.
10-29-2022, 07:19 AM, (This post was last modified: 10-29-2022, 07:19 AM by King Gerbil.)
The WDS website ACW forum has a new regimental scale 3d graphics mod.
05-15-2023, 08:34 PM,
I thought I might revisit this idea ,a few years later.

https://forum.wargameds.com/viewtopic.php?t=158

Is this the mod of which you reference?

I do like the look ,may not try straight away but I will check it,