• Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

A "simple" download question
07-31-2020, 12:05 AM, (This post was last modified: 07-31-2020, 12:07 AM by Windhund42. Edit Reason: typo )
A "simple" download question
Greetings all,
                         I have a very simple technical question I'm sure will not be difficult to answer.  I downloaded a scenario and subscribed to Winzip to be able to open it of course.  For some reason, I see the zipped scenario in my Downloads file but I can't make it work.  This is what I do:

Find Matrix Games folder
                           Find JTCS
                           Find East Front (in this case)
                           unzip scenario into EF

The scenario does appear as a separate file in the EF folder which I think is odd because none of the dozens of other scenarios I have in my game have their own folder.  It used to be so simple using Winzip to download a scenario or it must be me not keeping up with all of its new "features"

I imagine the solution is simple but as I get older, I'm getting "simpler" by the day lol.
Quote this message in a reply
07-31-2020, 12:27 AM,
RE: A "simple" download question
I think if you cut the contents of the folder and paste them with the rest of the scenarios, and toss the empty folder, you should be ok.
07-31-2020, 01:01 AM,
(07-31-2020, 12:27 AM)Nort Wrote: I think if you cut the contents of the folder and paste them with the rest of the scenarios, and toss the empty folder, you should be ok.
07-31-2020, 01:02 AM,
Thanks for the tip. Within EF is there a special file that contains just scenarios? If so, do you know what it's named?
07-31-2020, 04:41 AM,
(07-31-2020, 01:02 AM)Windhund42 Wrote: Thanks for the tip.  Within EF is there a special file that contains just scenarios?   If so, do you know what it's named?

Nope, you open or unzip the folder to your desktop, then move the separate contents (not the whole folder) to the EF folder. So, xxx.org, xxx.scn, xxx.bmp, etc, all go into the main hierarchy of the EF folder.

I think there's a way to keep scenarios separate by using JSGME for mods. Look in your EF folder int the mods folder. There's a readme in there that will describe how to install and use JSGME. You can get in touch with Crossroads if you want. He'll know if and how it can be done.

Hope that helps,
Dave
Resolve then, that on this very ground, with small flags waving and tinny blasts on tiny trumpets, we shall meet the enemy, and not only may he be ours, he may be us. --Walt Kelly
Send this user an email
08-02-2020, 09:06 AM,
Thanks for the insights Dave (and Nort too). I don't know how this got to be so complicated. Several years (10 probably) ago I would simply unzip the downloaded scenario into the game folder and it would be there, no problems whatsoever. I'd find
it immediately on the game's scenario list

I added several dozen of them made by the talented designers and enthusiasts on this board and elsewhere using this method. Oh well, I'm out of town now but on Monday when I return home I will follow your advice.