• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Opportunity Fire
07-25-2020, 07:09 PM,
Opportunity Fire
Can I edit any values in Parameter data or Database editor in order to stop the enemy using Opportunity Fire all the time,purely for my solo games?

I am used to the Squad Battles series of games and there Opportunity fire is much more curtailed.
Quote this message in a reply
07-25-2020, 08:39 PM,
RE: Opportunity Fire
There is nothing in the Parameter Data but you can turn op fire off or reduce the range at which it applies using the Opportunity Fire Dialog (Ctrl+O). The details are in section 5.4 of the User Manual.

Unfortunately, as far as I am aware, you cannot simply fine tune its frequency. Personally I think it would be good if there was an option to have something between 'never' and 'unlimited'.
07-25-2020, 09:31 PM,
The Opportunity Fire Dialog settings only apply to hidden units/units that can't determine that they've been spotted.

The unpredictability is both a liability and an asset: fast units can generally close the distance without getting hammered, which makes the effect less than stellar in mobile meeting engagements, but you can't draw fire three times and be completely safe afterwards like in PzC.
07-25-2020, 10:01 PM, (This post was last modified: 07-25-2020, 10:04 PM by Sean. Edit Reason: more clarity )
Cool thanks for all the info.The CTRL O key really saved my game,I found the game really bothersome without stopping all the op fire.
Great thanks a lot,I had almost given up on playing,glad I asked the question.

I did notice some op fire after I checked never on all boxes,it seems like it resets settings somehow maybe,but it is much better than op fire before adjusting these settings.
07-26-2020, 10:50 AM,
(07-25-2020, 10:01 PM)Barly Wrote: Cool thanks for all the info.The CTRL O key really saved my game,I found the game really bothersome without stopping all the op fire.
Great thanks a lot,I had almost given up on playing,glad I asked the question.

I did notice some op fire after I checked never on all boxes,it seems like it resets settings somehow maybe,but it is much better than op fire before adjusting these settings.

As ComradeP points out, the Opportunity Fire Dialog settings only apply to concealed units. This is an important point and was not something I was aware of. In truth, I have never actually used this feature myself.

So setting op fire to 'never' will reduce it in an overall sense but not for all units in all situations. Of course, you would not want to actually play with zero op fire, so perhaps this serves your purposes well enough.
07-26-2020, 05:49 PM,
(07-25-2020, 07:09 PM)Barly Wrote: Can I edit any values in Parameter data or Database editor in order to stop the enemy using Opportunity Fire all the time,purely for my solo games?

I am used to the Squad Battles series of games and there Opportunity fire is much more curtailed.

I'm sure that both of you are probably aware of this, but still I wanted to point out that any change to opportunity fire would severely alter the game balance. As I've come to understand it, unlimited opportunity fire in a way represents "suppression". Unless you have a significant edge in fire power and can disrupt all enemy weapon systems in the area, or unless you can find an avenue of approach that is not covered by the enemy, you usually can't advance. It forces you to approach PB games in a similar way as Combat Mission games. It puts a big emphasis on fire superiority.