• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Reinforcements who don't arrive
07-14-2020, 06:11 PM,
Reinforcements who don't arrive
Just a quick question, if reinforcements don't arrive as scheduled, can they still arrive during later turns? Or is it a case of if you miss it, that's it?
Quote this message in a reply
07-14-2020, 06:36 PM,
RE: Reinforcements who don't arrive
(07-14-2020, 06:11 PM)CountryBoy Wrote: Just a quick question, if reinforcements don't arrive as scheduled, can they still arrive during later turns? Or is it a case of if you miss it, that's it?

Check out the reinforcement schedule dialog box; most likely it is a case where they were set as a percentage to arrive - essentially a die roll in effect. The engine keeps rolling for entry until they enter*.

* = sometimes an invalid date can be entered - like say a typo for a date that you will never get to; if you ever find something like that drop a line to JTS support (assuming it is a stock scenario)  -and they should be able to fix it.

If it is a user created scenario -then it ends up being a private matter (no support provided for third party creations -iirc).

Fwiw- I had seen the typo thing happen (was playing a Bull Run scenario once, and my side's reinforcements had a day on it that was outside the context of that scenario - so in those cases, you'll never see those.). Chances are, that would be a mistake.
Send this user an email
07-14-2020, 06:42 PM,
Thanks for the reply.

The reinforcement schedule says:

* 06:00 7 June 1944 (??) at (165,82) Axis blah blah blah

That date was nearly 2 days ago. How do I tell if they will ever arrive?
07-14-2020, 08:58 PM,
If you want to play blind, there's no way to be sure.

Otherwise, you can check the reinforcement schedule by starting the scenario without FOW on or by checking the scenario editor. Without FOW, percentage arrival chances (the (??) part) are not hidden.
07-14-2020, 09:01 PM,
(07-14-2020, 06:42 PM)CountryBoy Wrote: Thanks for the reply.

The reinforcement schedule says:

* 06:00 7 June 1944 (??) at (165,82) Axis blah blah blah

That date was nearly 2 days ago. How do I tell if they will ever arrive?

The arrival chances are unavailable while Fog of War is ON (that's the [??] part).
If need be, load up the scenario in OOB-edit, and check the values.

That particular entry is part of 12th SS Panzer, and they have their arrival chances set to 20% (per turn).
So they'll get there eventually, they're usually just delayed and scattered.
Never seen them delayed by two days though, that's some seriously cold dice-rolling. :)
07-14-2020, 09:34 PM,
Ah ok, thanks guys. I'm happy not knowing the percentages, but I was interested to know if they would ever arrive. There's around 10 separate reinforcement groups that are late, so I must be rolling some very unlucky numbers.
07-15-2020, 01:48 AM,
There are some other possible nuances, but the key is the initial percentage.

When there are groups like this, there is a way to set the first group at the desired percentage, and then the others all automatically come on with it. This was designed for low chance of arrivals but you want the units kept together - so you aren't getting them in odd groups here and there, but rather all at once. Usage of that depends on what the scenario designer was trying to do, or it is possible the designer isn't even aware of this alternative way of setting it up. If I remember right, it requires setting the follow on reinfs to a 0 percent chance, but there may be more to it.

And it seems like there is a way to set it up to check just once a day for arrival, through a flag. However, this isn't used very much at all.
[Image: exercise.png]
07-15-2020, 02:37 AM, (This post was last modified: 07-15-2020, 02:38 AM by ComradeP.)
In the case of the daily arrival chance Ricky B mentions, the scheduled dialog will state (?? Daily) with FOW on, so you always know whether the reinforcement in question has a per turn or per day arrival chance.

What you don't know is if anything is tied to a specific line in the scheduled dialog like Ricky B described, through 0% arrival chances for other parts of the formation.

It's also possible that reinforcements have a 0% arrival chance without being tied to another formation. In other words, these will indeed never arrive. Those may or may not have arrival dates outside the period covered by the scenario as well.
07-15-2020, 02:35 PM,
I think they're all set at 20%, which seems surprising that they haven't arrived in 12 turns in some cases. Two of the delayed units are the HQ units, which is a pain. Anyway, can only wait and be patient.
07-15-2020, 03:03 PM,
(07-15-2020, 02:35 PM)CountryBoy Wrote: I think they're all set at 20%, which seems surprising that they haven't arrived in 12 turns in some cases. Two of the delayed units are the HQ units, which is a pain. Anyway, can only wait and be patient.

There is roughly a 7% chance of a 12 turn delay for a single group with a 20% chance of arriving each turn. Not great but not impossible either.