• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Rip Van Winkle Time
07-07-2020, 09:42 AM,
Rip Van Winkle Time
I'm so rusty I posted this in the wrong forum (would an admin be so kind as to clean up my spill over in Panzar Battles Forum, same subject heading).  

Okay so I took a decade off, it's not like I didn't think about the place once or twice during the past 10 years LOL

So the world has changed a bit in my absence I see.  Hopefully some of my old compatriots will fill me in on what I need to know to get a game together without failing to even get the game loaded.  I once was considered fairly competent, now I'm not even sure I'm on the right field.  I did a search and found out that some old friends passed in my absence, and some seem to have retired form the business.  Someone will have to tell me how and why my beloved HPS Simulations stopped being, and if the new JTS series games are the "same just different" or if I need to reacquire dozens of games in order to be able to play again. 

Wow, I can't believe it's been 10 years.  Time flies. 

Okay, if someone has time for an old fart please let me know what's what and then if I have what I need I will look for a game or two to ease back into the swing of things.

Damn I'm old.
Quote this message in a reply
07-07-2020, 02:37 PM,
RE: Rip Van Winkle Time
(07-07-2020, 09:42 AM)Templar Wrote: I'm so rusty I posted this in the wrong forum (would an admin be so kind as to clean up my spill over in Panzar Battles Forum, same subject heading).  

Okay so I took a decade off, it's not like I didn't think about the place once or twice during the past 10 years LOL

So the world has changed a bit in my absence I see.  Hopefully some of my old compatriots will fill me in on what I need to know to get a game together without failing to even get the game loaded.  I once was considered fairly competent, now I'm not even sure I'm on the right field.  I did a search and found out that some old friends passed in my absence, and some seem to have retired form the business.  Someone will have to tell me how and why my beloved HPS Simulations stopped being, and if the new JTS series games are the "same just different" or if I need to reacquire dozens of games in order to be able to play again. 

Okay, if someone has time for an old fart please let me know what's what and then if I have what I need I will look for a game or two to ease back into the swing of things.

Damn I'm old.
My god (I don't think I ever expected to write that for anything!), welcome back Paul - I can sure believe it has been 10 years, sad to say. I had to really think about who Templar was, since I still remember Steel God, so it took a moment to remember for sure.

There have definitely been changes, although other things have stayed the same.

HPS is still alive but not involved with the latest PzC versions, sad in some ways. As to playing the games, I think some still have the HPS versions, but probably very few here at the Blitz. What is by far most unfortunate is JTS was offering a free conversion to their versions of the games for a few years now, but literally just ended that offer a week ago.

The JTS versions do have a lot of chrome changes, and some new rules as always. There is even a free demo you can get at the JTS site to check things out.

From what I remember you aren't quite as old as I am, but no matter what we are all getting older.

Drop me a line at rickbancroft at q.com Paul, and we can talk a bit more offline.

Regards
Rick
[Image: exercise.png]
07-07-2020, 08:39 PM,
(07-07-2020, 02:37 PM)Ricky B Wrote:
(07-07-2020, 09:42 AM)Templar Wrote: I'm so rusty I posted this in the wrong forum (would an admin be so kind as to clean up my spill over in Panzar Battles Forum, same subject heading).  

Damn I'm old.
My god (I don't think I ever expected to write that for anything!), welcome back Paul - I can sure believe it has been 10 years, sad to say. I had to really think about who Templar was, since I still remember Steel God, so it took a moment to remember for sure.

There have definitely been changes, although other things have stayed the same.

HPS is still alive but not involved with the latest PzC versions, sad in some ways. As to playing the games, I think some still have the HPS versions, but probably very few here at the Blitz. What is by far most unfortunate is JTS was offering a free conversion to their versions of the games for a few years now, but literally just ended that offer a week ago.

The JTS versions do have a lot of chrome changes, and some new rules as always. There is even a free demo you can get at the JTS site to check things out.

From what I remember you aren't quite as old as I am, but no matter what we are all getting older.

Drop me a line at rickbancroft at q.com Paul, and we can talk a bit more offline.

Regards
Rick

I'm back for a couple hours and am contacted by old friends, each of which mentions my User Name, so I guess it's back to Steel God whether I like it or not LOL.  Email in bound Ricky
07-08-2020, 05:07 AM,
Really great to see you back Paul, there are still some of the old guys around, Dennis (Landser34) still wins the annual award for the top points on the ladder each year and I see that PKPowers is still reporting games although neither of those guys posts much on the forum.

Still a very active community here, not at the level when I joined in 2003 but there is new material still in development and new titles being released and plenty of games being reported. From my POV the best thing is we seem to have lost all the pain in the butt agitators and trolls from all the ladders and we have been left with a really great bunch of guys who use these forums just to enjoy their hobby, discuss aspects of the games and help other out.

A Mod's life has never been so easy................. Big Grin

You will be able to jump straight back into PzC although a read through of the updated manual would be a good idea to catch up on the new features, most of the core of the game is exactly where you left it.

Great to see you have changed your user back to Steel God as that is how I best remember you, you did explain to me once why you felt you had to change it.  Wink
07-08-2020, 12:12 PM,
Welcome back Paul, you have lots of games to catch up on! The good news is, its like riding a bike, you will get back up to speed in no time. :)
Send this user an email
07-08-2020, 08:44 PM,
(07-08-2020, 12:12 PM)Volcano Man Wrote: Welcome back Paul, you have lots of games to catch up on! The good news is, its like riding a bike, you will get back up to speed in no time. :)

Thanks Ed.  I've been playing the old HPS titles against the AI this past week or two, and that's what made me think to check back in here.  You're right, it did come back quickly to me, and just as quickly I remembered how disappointing the AI can be at times, which also played a part in coming back to the Blitz Big Grin 

I see you've been a busy man since we last spoke, and I can't say I'm surprised one bit.  The WW1 games will be at the top of my list for new acquisitions, both because I've always loved the subject matter, and since you're running the effort I know the research quality will be beyond reproach.