• Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

SYW incorrect art file
07-03-2020, 02:25 AM, (This post was last modified: 07-03-2020, 02:26 AM by Simulacra53.)
SYW incorrect art file
Couldn’t let the opportunity pass to enjoy some of that JTS summer sale goodness, so I bought some titles I had been eyeballing for a while, including the second M&P title.

However while perusing the game files - as my second favorite pass time is light modding - I was comparing and mixing SYW art with Ren, to find out that SYW has the old style 2DFeatures50.bmp file and the new 2DFeatures100.bmp file.

That could have been WAD if it had not been for the 2DFeatures50.bmp file in the Snow folder, which is the new style art.

So I guess somewhere the regular 2d 50% file got mixed up.

Again, there is a winter version, but not one for summer.
Not a show stopper, but it looks a bit sloppy in 50% 2d.

Any way to get the right 2DFeatures50.bmp file, that matches the current 2DFeatures100.bmp art for SYW?

Thank you.
(No, it is not an easy fix if you do not have the original art file...I tried Helmet Smile )
Quote this message in a reply
07-03-2020, 09:06 AM, (This post was last modified: 07-03-2020, 09:25 AM by -72-.)
RE: SYW incorrect art file
(07-03-2020, 02:25 AM)Simulacra53 Wrote: Couldn’t let the opportunity pass to enjoy some of that JTS summer sale goodness, so I bought some titles I had been eyeballing for a while, including the second M&P title.

However while perusing the game files - as my second favorite pass time is light modding - I was comparing and mixing SYW art with Ren, to find out that SYW has the old style 2DFeatures50.bmp file and the new 2DFeatures100.bmp file.

That could have been WAD if it had not been for the 2DFeatures50.bmp file in the Snow folder, which is the new style art.

So I guess somewhere the regular 2d 50% file got mixed up.

Again, there is a winter version, but not one for summer.
Not a show stopper, but it looks a bit sloppy in 50% 2d.

Any way to get the right 2DFeatures50.bmp file, that matches the current 2DFeatures100.bmp art for SYW?

Thank you.
(No, it is not an easy fix if you do not have the original art file...I tried Helmet Smile )

Post a screenshot of those and I will see if I can find it. I got rid of a lot of the stuff that couldn't be used in other titles by SYW to avoid that being an issue, so it is entirely possible that it might have been a copy/paste issue.

I don't actually know what is in the stock version now.

Edited: Actually never mind making that post - I will see if I can find the matching file. I can guarantee you it would not have been intentional, however it does indicate that I do not use the stock graphics. These would have been compiled back in late 2017, and I need to find if I kept a stock copy from that time or have an old install I can set up.

As I hadn't heard this before, I assume that it makes it something that happened relatively recently.
Send this user an email
07-03-2020, 02:47 PM,
Great, thanks for the quick acknowledgment - appreciated!
07-03-2020, 06:39 PM,
Done and sent over to JTS support --- I'll put my hand up for responsibility on that one.  I re-installed my file from 2018 and it was like that in there.

Apologies, sir.
Send this user an email
07-03-2020, 06:48 PM,
(07-03-2020, 06:39 PM)trauth116 Wrote: Done and sent over to JTS support --- I'll put my hand up for responsibility on that one.  I re-installed my file from 2018 and it was like that in there.

Apologies, sir.

No apologies needed, you guys are doing a great job and after identifying this minor issue you’ve fixed it in no time!

Helmet Smile
07-10-2020, 09:14 PM,
Guess we have to wait for this to be released as part of a future update?
07-11-2020, 11:50 AM,
(07-10-2020, 09:14 PM)Simulacra53 Wrote: Guess we have to wait for this to be released as part of a future update?

That's something that you'd have to bring up directly with JTS - technically I don't actually know if it wasn't intentional.  I am assuming that it was - and it would not have been the one that I intended to have provided them.

I assume that that might be the plan (but then again I also have no idea if that email with the file and explanation of what you'd written here did not get buried in the inbox on their side) - however drop me a line at steve at hist-sdc dot com and I'll get it to you.

In other words, I don't work for them, but do some work for them - if that makes sense.
Send this user an email
07-11-2020, 12:36 PM,
(07-10-2020, 09:14 PM)Simulacra53 Wrote: Guess we have to wait for this to be released as part of a future update?

We're making good progress on the next update for SYW, so I will include that file with it... at the rate we're going you should see the 3D views added in the not so distant future.
07-13-2020, 02:29 AM, (This post was last modified: 07-13-2020, 02:30 AM by TheGrayMouser.)
(07-11-2020, 12:36 PM)rahamy Wrote:

We're making good progress on the next update for SYW, so I will include that file with it... at the rate we're going you should see the 3D views added in the not so distant future.

Whatt??  Fantastic news!!

Now, while your adjusting the OOB's to add the artwork coding, please convince Gary McClellan to give the cavalry units that actually wore the cuirass some armor rating! :)  ( a value of "1" would be more than sufficient).  Shame to have an engine that can account for historical nuances,  yet not use it...
07-13-2020, 03:20 AM,
Honestly, even 1 point of armor is too big an effect for too small an advantage. A "loss" is any horseman who is taken out of the fight, be it by death, injury or being unhorsed. Since the horses were not armored like that of a knight, they were still very vulnerable to getting shot, and so having the relatively small area of the breastplate confer a 10% advantage in combat is excessive. The thing may well allow men to live to fight another day, but we worked the advantages of heavy horse in other ways.
Scenario Designer JTS Midway JTS Seven Years War JTS Wolfpack WDS Kriegsmarine