• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

What to buy?
07-02-2020, 06:32 AM,
What to buy?
So. One of these (predictable) posts. The sale is up and tempted by the saved $10 (with which I could buy, for example, an e-book on some campaign or other...) I'm wondering which campaign to get out of the following (from Panzer Campaigns or Modern Campaigns):

Moscow '41
Moscow '42
Budapest
Sicily
Stalingrad
Fulda Gap (from MC)
France 40

The rest (from PC and MC) I either have or I'm not interested in. 

Only one, for now. 

Any advice? I like the big scenarios more than tiny little battles, but prefer balanced scenarios, for either PBEM or hotseat against myself, never against the 'AI'. 

Thanks!
Quote this message in a reply
07-02-2020, 09:40 AM,
RE: What to buy?
I only own Budapest on your list, which is a good title. There is a lot of late war equipment to use and the campaign game is very good, with lots of attacking and defending on both sides. It also has an excellent map that allows for plenty of strategic movement and planning during the scenario. I played it PBEM and we ended up as a draw, so it was quite well balanced (though if I had one quibble about the scenario it would be that the VP hexes were higher in order to encourage greater risk taking).

Just my 2c.
07-02-2020, 12:01 PM,
The usual answer is, buy the one covering the battle that interests you the most.

From the above list, I'd probably pick France'40.
Loads of movement options, early-war so tanks aren't the killer behemoths that they become.
Only drawback is that the Allies have no real options other than being defensive.

Moscow'41 is very good as well, for much the same reasons.
But it is BIG. I mean, really big. Not an issue in and of itself, but it is time-consuming especially playing hot-seat.

Not too fond of Sicily.
Just as well-designed/researched as all the other titles, it's just such a grind due to the terrain.
07-04-2020, 07:22 PM, (This post was last modified: 07-04-2020, 07:23 PM by phoenix.)
Thanks. Picked up Moscow 41 and Fulda so far. So much for limiting myself to one....

Moscow does look very big, you're right, CheerfullyInsane. the big campaign, hotseat, would be 800 odd moves. Not as bad as Normandy hot seat, I guess. If I could get in a move a day then I suppose it might take me around 4 years to complete Normandy, lol. But those guys who play WitPAE seem happy to play games for many years...

Anyway, have I got anything better to do? Well....
07-06-2020, 04:05 AM,
I would go for the campaign that I find most interesting.

Besides that, I think France 40 with all the new Prucha scenarios that raise the bar for quality scenario considerably is something I can suggest without hesitation.
07-07-2020, 09:02 PM, (This post was last modified: 07-08-2020, 01:36 AM by phoenix.)
Yeah. I got France 40 now too. And Eagles Strike. And Stalingrad. Wanted to keep it to 1 and ended up with 5. It will be 6 though, as I'll get East Prussia FWWC before this is over. If I had planned this better I could have used the bulk discount.....too late now, I guess...
07-07-2020, 11:39 PM,
(07-07-2020, 09:02 PM)phoenix Wrote: Yeah. I got France 40 now too. And Eagles Strike. And Stalingrad. Wanted to keep it to 1 and ended up with 5. It will be 6 though, as I'll get Serbia FWWC before this is over. If I had planned this better I could have used the bulk discount.....too late now, I guess...

Welcome to my world. Big Grin