• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Vietnam Squad Battles games
06-17-2020, 04:28 AM,
Feedback Needed  Vietnam Squad Battles games
I was thinking of using the upcoming JTS sale to dip my toes in the SB games, Vietnam being my chosen period. Any tips as to which of the two titles to buy (or indeed should I get both!). I believe  that to play the North Vietnamese side I need Vietnam rather than Tour of Duty.
For anyone who has played Vietnam 65 how do the two games systems compare. I have played games from both JTS Panzer Battles and Campaigns.

Thanks
Paul
Quote this message in a reply
06-17-2020, 05:39 AM,
RE: Vietnam Squad Battles games
See This thread for a discussion on the differences between Vietnam and Tod.

I don't think you can make comparisons with Vietnam 65. and Squad battles. I have played Vietnam 65 and i might play it again, but when I go to Vietnam 65 I am looking for something entirely different different to Squad battles. (a serious wargaming experience!)

Vietnam 65 and the JTS Vietnam SB games, Two entirely different approaches with the only similarity being the word Vietnam.

I would say ToD and Vietnam, is the wisest choice in the upcoming sale.  Helmet Wink

...ney...the essential Choice. Big Grin
"Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake. It is impolite."
Napoleon I
06-17-2020, 06:58 AM,
(06-17-2020, 05:39 AM)Embis Wrote: See This thread for a discussion on the differences between Vietnam and Tod.

I don't think you can make comparisons with Vietnam 65. and Squad battles. I have played Vietnam 65 and i might play it again, but when I go to Vietnam 65 I am looking for something entirely different different to Squad battles. (a serious wargaming experience!)

Vietnam 65 and the JTS Vietnam SB games, Two entirely different approaches with the only similarity being the word Vietnam.

I would say ToD and Vietnam, is the wisest choice in the upcoming sale.  Helmet Wink

...ney...the essential Choice. Big Grin
Thanks.
06-17-2020, 11:52 AM,
One of the main differences in Tour of Duty, at least to the best of my memory, is the addition of the SEATO forces. So if you have a hankering to play the Aussies, you would need to get TOD. But they are both good games and since Vietnam was the first title, the design is appropriate for the conflict.
06-17-2020, 10:04 PM,
Vietnam 65 and SB Vietnam/TOD are not comparable. I like Vietnam 65 but it is not squad combat game like the SB titles. If you like tactical level games then you will like the SB titles. As for Vietnam or TOD, both are good. TOD has the campaign feature while Vietnam doesn't.