• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Bolt out of the Blue Feedback
06-16-2020, 11:10 PM,
Bolt out of the Blue Feedback
Long time no chat, with working in the oil industry I've gone from working 50-60 a week last 5 years to 30-40 and I've had a few emails regarding Bolt in the last couple months and with extra time on my hands I can get some things adjusted so I'm looking for any other feedback out there or even what I've already heard from others just to see whats all out there. Tank you very much
Rangers Lead the Way
Quote this message in a reply
06-17-2020, 02:17 AM,
RE: Bolt out of the Blue Feedback
(06-16-2020, 11:10 PM)tazaaron Wrote: Long time no chat, with working in the oil industry I've gone from working 50-60 a week last 5 years to 30-40 and I've had a few emails regarding Bolt in the last couple months and with extra time on my hands I can get some things adjusted so I'm looking for any other feedback out there or even what I've already heard from others just to see whats all out there. Tank you very much

Hey buddy, welcome back! I'm playing two games of Bolt right now.

Tom
06-17-2020, 02:35 AM,
(06-16-2020, 11:10 PM)tazaaron Wrote: Long time no chat, with working in the oil industry I've gone from working 50-60 a week last 5 years to 30-40 and I've had a few emails regarding Bolt in the last couple months and with extra time on my hands I can get some things adjusted so I'm looking for any other feedback out there or even what I've already heard from others just to see whats all out there. Tank you very much
Glad to see you back!

When you get a chance, have a look at this thread https://www.theblitz.club/message_boards...nube+Front where the OP was asking for the stock DF '85 Grand Campaign to be compared to Bolt. I wrote up my critique in the 2nd post, and declared Bolt superior. Hope I wasn't too harsh in my assessments!
Maybe one day you'll get back to designing? I always thought you were pretty innovative and talented when it game to working the editor, and putting things together even when I disagreed with a few things.
"If you want to know a man's true character, give him some power." - Abraham Lincoln (attributed)
06-17-2020, 02:37 AM,
and I am thoroughly enjoying playing the WP vs the mean and tricky AI.
Thank you !
06-17-2020, 03:00 AM, (This post was last modified: 06-17-2020, 03:02 AM by Aaron.)
Nothings to harsh and to answer a few comments yes KG was a design decision , can always go back the other way but then u have to deal with the fatigue.

And as for the surprise it's suppose to be a mobile battle so unit density had to be considered, if anyone remembers at 1 point there was a Spanish and Hungarian OOB that I removed to keep the density down, same reasoning for the surprise attack, if everyone was prepared you would end up with a WW1 game. So we just decided to say the Spanish and Hungarians are fighting in the rest of Austria and Northern Italy.

The AI use to be better, it kind of got left behind a little towards the end.

Edit. Have to check but the download use to contain a Word Doc that answered some questions and some reasons on why what was done. Is it still there? Probably not part of Gold though
Rangers Lead the Way
06-17-2020, 03:22 AM,
Ah the Unified Corps, the units that were part of these are in the OOB but from what I found which I might add probably took 1 year to get some decent info on them is these 2 Corps were dissolved in 88, early 89
Rangers Lead the Way
06-17-2020, 03:49 AM, (This post was last modified: 06-17-2020, 03:53 AM by Indragnir.)
(06-17-2020, 03:22 AM)tazaaron Wrote: Ah the Unified Corps, the units that were part of these are in the OOB but from what I found which I might add probably took 1 year to get some decent info on them is these 2 Corps were dissolved in 88, early 89

Worth finding out why Gold Danube Front has Recovery and Replacements in the PDT. Does it means there're an additional 1% replacements for both sides?
06-17-2020, 04:23 AM,
Don't know, havnt checked into it but WP probably should be at 0, strategy is for a combat ineffective unit to be replaced with a new unit. No replacements, it was push , push, push and then move in the next unit to do the same.

Things I read and Soviet strategy pretty much says the First Echelon had 3 days of supplies and except for fuel they didn't plan on even resupplying them at all because they wernt suppose to last more than 3 days
Rangers Lead the Way
06-17-2020, 04:34 AM,
(06-17-2020, 04:23 AM)tazaaron Wrote: Don't know, havnt checked into it but WP probably should be at 0, strategy is for a combat ineffective unit to be replaced with a new unit. No replacements, it was push , push, push and then move in the next unit to do the same.  

Things I read and Soviet strategy pretty much says the First Echelon had 3 days of supplies and except for fuel they didn't plan on even resupplying them at all because they wernt suppose to last more than 3 days

What I meant is that PDT Replacements were not in HPS Danube Front? Am I right? Just asking if it's an additional Replacements value.
06-17-2020, 04:34 AM,
(06-17-2020, 03:22 AM)tazaaron Wrote: Ah the Unified Corps, the units that were part of these are in the OOB but from what I found which I might add probably took 1 year to get some decent info on them is these 2 Corps were dissolved in 88, early 89
Ralph Peters in "Red Army" features the 1st Unified Corps in various chapters, and since his specialty was MI with concentration on the Soviets, I tend to trust him. He has the 1st UAC composed of 3 ( or is it 4?) Brigades, but never really mentions their detailed TO&E.

When I depict them, I give a UAC 4 brigades (each Brigade having 2 Tank Bns (51 tanks each), 2 BMP-2 Mot Rifle Bns, 1 122mm SPA Bn (24 tubes), 1 Recon Co, and an Engineer Co.) with support units (including attack helicopters) pretty similar to a US J Series Heavy Div. HQ's have close to the same command radius as a US Division, and along with the UAC HQ, the Brigade HQ's are also present. Makes for a pretty powerful and flexible unit suited for pursuit and exploitation, which is the way Peters describes it in the book.

Just my take, and you're right, they were experimental as far as the Soviets were concerned. I also seen them called "Unified Army Corps" sometimes. Whatever the name they're pretty elusive and shadowy units that existed for only a few years, prior to the Soviet break up.
"If you want to know a man's true character, give him some power." - Abraham Lincoln (attributed)