• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

TOC Game sale in July
06-14-2020, 11:33 PM,
Feedback Needed  TOC Game sale in July
Looking to expand my selection by two games.  In the Med, I have Sicily and Salerno; in the West, Normandy and the Bulge; in the Eact, Stalingrad; and no games for the Pacific.

I would like to hear thoughts on which two games you would choose to expand my small gaming library and why. I really appreciate your thoughts and recommendations.
Quote this message in a reply
06-15-2020, 11:04 AM, (This post was last modified: 06-15-2020, 11:07 AM by Halsey74.)
RE: TOC Game sale in July
(06-14-2020, 11:33 PM)jeffro Wrote: Looking to expand my selection by two games.  In the Med, I have Sicily and Salerno; in the West, Normandy and the Bulge; in the Eact, Stalingrad; and no games for the Pacific.

I would like to hear thoughts on which two games you would choose to expand my small gaming library and why. I really appreciate your thoughts and recommendations.

My advice, Smolensk '41, Kharkov '42. 
Wide battefields, lots fo mobility and options for both sides.
06-15-2020, 11:59 AM,
You could pick up a desert title, which is another missing theater. They play very differently compared to the others as there is seldom a front line as such.

Budapest 45 has lots of late war armor and the campaign game allows for lots of strategic choices.
06-15-2020, 11:17 PM,
West Front - Market-Garden

East Front - Smolensk

Med Front - Tunisia, Alamein, Tobruk

Modern Campaigns - Danube, Middle East, the rest of them.
06-16-2020, 12:20 AM,
Just 2? Kharkov 42 and an MC title.

I just started with the MC games and - providing you like to play 'what-if' (which I didn't, before trying these) then they seem great fun. Quite fluid and fast moving, good to play from either side. I'm really enjoying.

The big scenarios in Kharkov (both Kharkov 42 and Kharkov 43, in fact, though 43 is slower because of the snow, which is the only reason why I suggested 42...) are really interesting and can be quite balanced, according to the ratings given on this site. The Kharkov maps are lovely.

In general, if you're going to play PBEM (or even against yourself) then it might be worth looking through the ratings here to see which titles give the most balanced scenarios, no? That's what I did recently. I was surprised to find quite a few titles that lacked a decent number of balanced scenarios, according to the PBEM ratings here.
06-16-2020, 01:36 AM,
Thank you all for your input. I guess I will have to go for three...Market Garden, Kharkov 42, and Alamein. The MC series does look interesting as well.
06-16-2020, 11:26 AM,
Good choices, I have all of those except Alamein, which I will also pick up in the sale. I'm also planning to grab Smolensk 41 as it seems to be the title most commonly recommended, plus Sicily or Salerno and maybe Stalingrad. So many games, too little time.
06-17-2020, 02:31 AM,
(06-16-2020, 11:26 AM)CountryBoy Wrote: Good choices, I have all of those except Alamein, which I will also pick up in the sale. I'm also planning to grab Smolensk 41 as it seems to be the title most commonly recommended, plus Sicily or Salerno and maybe Stalingrad. So many games, too little time.

Truth...but now that I am retired from the Army I do have more time than I have had in decades...even with the honey do.
06-17-2020, 02:49 AM,
(06-16-2020, 01:36 AM)jeffro Wrote: Thank you all for your input. I guess I will have to go for three...Market Garden, Kharkov 42, and Alamein. The MC series does look interesting as well.

If you are not aware of it, MC Middle East '67 is normally on sale all the time, along with several other non MC titles.

It might be worth it to pick up Middle East, before the July sale, to check it out and see if you like the series.

https://john-tiller-software.myshopify.c...sale-items

That way you are ready, one way or another, when the sale starts, to help you figure out what to buy.

Based on past years, JTS sales are extremely rare, so I highly suggest you take advantage of it when you see one.

The sale that is advertised to start next month in July will only be the 2nd one they have ever had, since 2012.

They also offer a 20% "bulk discount" for all orders that total over $199.00.

https://john-tiller-software.myshopify.com/blogs/news

(06-17-2020, 02:31 AM)jeffro Wrote:
(06-16-2020, 11:26 AM)CountryBoy Wrote: Good choices, I have all of those except Alamein, which I will also pick up in the sale. I'm also planning to grab Smolensk 41 as it seems to be the title most commonly recommended, plus Sicily or Salerno and maybe Stalingrad. So many games, too little time.

Truth...but now that I am retired from the Army I do have more time than I have had in decades...even with the honey do.

We all have that problem and it is a "good" problem to have!   Mex Big Grin
06-17-2020, 02:56 AM,
My vote with your money ;) is" Danube Front " playing the " Bolt From the Blue Scenario" since we old guys never got to do a NATO vs WP for real ( thank God )