• Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Africa at War--History
06-05-2020, 12:57 AM,
RE: Africa at War--History
(06-04-2020, 10:35 PM)Ashcloud Wrote:
(06-04-2020, 10:23 PM)Compass Rose Wrote:
(06-04-2020, 09:49 PM)Ashcloud Wrote: I had a great series of African battles against Laza a good while back - some of my favorite games ever, I guess because I am in Africa.

I have since lost the hard drive that had all my games on - and the serial numbers for the games I still have on CD. I also somehow lost a bunch of my old CD's along the way too. My biggest losses are all my SB games. I am now left with WW1 on Matrix and one original CD of PW, but because I lost the serial numbers I can't use the PW disc - does anyone know a way I can get around this?  I would love to play Africa at War again (and PW for that matter). The current prices at the Tiller shop just put them all out of my price range given our african currency.

I am not sure if very early on, HPS games had serial numbers however, I don't own a single HPS John Tiller CD that ever came with a serial number, and at one time I owned over 60+ titles.

The only serial numbers that I know of on a John Tiller game would be starting with any titles that were released in 2012 or after, when JTS was formed and all of their new releases were digital download.

If you can't afford to replace your whole collection, either cherry pick and only get a few new JTS versions or buy the old HPS CD versions on Amazon or Ebay.

Also, in case you are not aware of it, JTS offers a bluk discount of 20% off any order over $199.

https://john-tiller-software.myshopify.c...k-discount

Thanks for the tips - $199 is like R3 361,91 - that is like a small fortune, almost our monthly minimum wage. I have managed to get PW and Africa at War to work. Wish I hadn't lost all the others, love this game. Just checked and it actually needs the cd in the drive to run the game - damn annoying, lucky for me the cd still works (I have the same problem with my Campaign Series Middle East Divided Ground - but the CD does not want to read anymore). Is there some way to turn this off so the game runs without needing the CD in the drive? Pretty sure CD drives are not going to be around for much longer.

If you have the disc, you can contact the folks at JTS and they will give you the latest version of the game as a digital download.  All you need to provide them is a picture of the disc.

It also sounds like you haven't updated the game.  Years back when they updated the games through HPS, they made it so you didn't need to have the disc in to play.
Site Commander: Task Force Echo 4
Quote this message in a reply
06-05-2020, 02:09 AM,
(06-05-2020, 12:57 AM)TheBigRedOne Wrote:
(06-04-2020, 10:35 PM)Ashcloud Wrote:
(06-04-2020, 10:23 PM)Compass Rose Wrote:
(06-04-2020, 09:49 PM)Ashcloud Wrote: I had a great series of African battles against Laza a good while back - some of my favorite games ever, I guess because I am in Africa.

I have since lost the hard drive that had all my games on - and the serial numbers for the games I still have on CD. I also somehow lost a bunch of my old CD's along the way too. My biggest losses are all my SB games. I am now left with WW1 on Matrix and one original CD of PW, but because I lost the serial numbers I can't use the PW disc - does anyone know a way I can get around this?  I would love to play Africa at War again (and PW for that matter). The current prices at the Tiller shop just put them all out of my price range given our african currency.

I am not sure if very early on, HPS games had serial numbers however, I don't own a single HPS John Tiller CD that ever came with a serial number, and at one time I owned over 60+ titles.

The only serial numbers that I know of on a John Tiller game would be starting with any titles that were released in 2012 or after, when JTS was formed and all of their new releases were digital download.

If you can't afford to replace your whole collection, either cherry pick and only get a few new JTS versions or buy the old HPS CD versions on Amazon or Ebay.

Also, in case you are not aware of it, JTS offers a bluk discount of 20% off any order over $199.

https://john-tiller-software.myshopify.c...k-discount

Thanks for the tips - $199 is like R3 361,91 - that is like a small fortune, almost our monthly minimum wage. I have managed to get PW and Africa at War to work. Wish I hadn't lost all the others, love this game. Just checked and it actually needs the cd in the drive to run the game - damn annoying, lucky for me the cd still works (I have the same problem with my Campaign Series Middle East Divided Ground - but the CD does not want to read anymore). Is there some way to turn this off so the game runs without needing the CD in the drive? Pretty sure CD drives are not going to be around for much longer.

If you have the disc, you can contact the folks at JTS and they will give you the latest version of the game as a digital download.  All you need to provide them is a picture of the disc.

It also sounds like you haven't updated the game.  Years back when they updated the games through HPS, they made it so you didn't need to have the disc in to play.

Excellent! I will do that, does anyone have any contact details I can try? I am wary of updates as I don't want the TD thing to infect all my lovely pictures.
Send this user an email
06-05-2020, 02:34 AM,
(06-05-2020, 12:57 AM)TheBigRedOne Wrote: If you have the disc, you can contact the folks at JTS and they will give you the latest version of the game as a digital download.  All you need to provide them is a picture of the disc.

I believe that the window that JTS allowed for this may have closed a few months ago.

I remember seeing something in print about it however, I can't remember where nor can I find it now.

It doesn't hurt to ask them.

[email protected]
06-05-2020, 04:59 AM,
(06-05-2020, 02:34 AM)Compass Rose Wrote:
(06-05-2020, 12:57 AM)TheBigRedOne Wrote: If you have the disc, you can contact the folks at JTS and they will give you the latest version of the game as a digital download.  All you need to provide them is a picture of the disc.

I believe that the window that JTS allowed for this may have closed a few months ago.

I remember seeing something in print about it however, I can't remember where nor can I find it now.

[email protected]

Tell him TheBigRedOne asks a favor....
06-14-2020, 06:16 AM,

[email protected]

This is still going on until June 30th!
06-16-2020, 08:25 PM,
(06-14-2020, 06:16 AM)TheBigRedOne Wrote:

[email protected]

Email has been sent. I managed to patch PW from the HPS website so I no longer need the CD in the drive to run both PW and Africa at War. Anyone want to give Africa at War a go - I am ready.
Send this user an email
06-16-2020, 09:47 PM, (This post was last modified: 06-16-2020, 09:48 PM by Ashcloud.)
Just a quick note, on studying the Task Force Echo 4 Africa at War pages I discovered some of the scenario files are no longer available. These specifically do not seem to work:
Ambush at Longa River
Sound and Fury
The Backfire
Vortex #4 Battle of the Walvis Bay
Quick Kill in Slow Motion

Would anyone have these files and would the downloads be able to be restored?
Send this user an email
06-17-2020, 06:29 PM,
(06-16-2020, 08:25 PM)Ashcloud Wrote:
(06-14-2020, 06:16 AM)TheBigRedOne Wrote:

[email protected]

Email has been sent. I managed to patch PW from the HPS website so I no longer need the CD in the drive to run both PW and Africa at War. Anyone want to give Africa at War a go - I am ready.

Just a quick follow up. A huge thanks to Rich at JTS - he sent me my new S/N for Pacific War. Seems in our world good guys still exist.
Send this user an email
06-17-2020, 08:15 PM,
(06-16-2020, 09:47 PM)Ashcloud Wrote: Just a quick note, on studying the Task Force Echo 4 Africa at War pages I discovered some of the scenario files are no longer available. These specifically do not seem to work:
Ambush at Longa River
Sound and Fury
The Backfire

I have lots of Africa at War scenarios, and all of those in your list (minus the last one. But maybe the file is called something else in my collection?).

Please let me know your email address, and I can mail them to you.

Atle
06-17-2020, 10:09 PM,
(06-17-2020, 08:15 PM)Atle Wrote:
(06-16-2020, 09:47 PM)Ashcloud Wrote: Just a quick note, on studying the Task Force Echo 4 Africa at War pages I discovered some of the scenario files are no longer available. These specifically do not seem to work:
Ambush at Longa River
Sound and Fury
The Backfire

I have lots of Africa at War scenarios, and all of those in your list (minus the last one. But maybe the file is called something else in my collection?).

Please let me know your email address, and I can mail them to you.

Atle

Excellent! Email sent.
Send this user an email