• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Divided Ground
06-03-2020, 02:10 AM,
Divided Ground
I have recently been discussing several games I used to play but somehow in the tide of time have mislaid. One of the games was Divided Ground which I had on CD - I decided that I needed to rummage around and see what I could find in the old storage. I have found the CD and on first attempt it would not do anything, the CD spun for a few seconds and gave a read error. I gave up and put it away again, but after further discussions I decided to dig it out again and this time I managed to (after a little clean and polish) get it to download the game files onto my hard drive. I fired it up and there it was, working. However, now if I take the CD out it asks for the CD and the CD does not want to respond again...

What to do?
Send this user an email
Quote this message in a reply
06-03-2020, 03:34 AM,
RE: Divided Ground
(06-03-2020, 02:10 AM)Ashcloud Wrote: I have recently been discussing several games I used to play but somehow in the tide of time have mislaid. One of the games was Divided Ground which I had on CD - I decided that I needed to rummage around and see what I could find in the old storage. I have found the CD and on first attempt it would not do anything, the CD spun for a few seconds and gave a read error. I gave up and put it away again, but after further discussions I decided to dig it out again and this time I managed to (after a little clean and polish) get it to download the game files onto my hard drive. I fired it up and there it was, working. However, now if I take the CD out it asks for the CD and the CD does not want to respond again...

What to do?

Hi Ash,

There's some Divided Ground stuff in the Blitz downloads directory: https://www.theblitz.club/downloads/b-21...ed+_Ground

Dave
Resolve then, that on this very ground, with small flags waving and tinny blasts on tiny trumpets, we shall meet the enemy, and not only may he be ours, he may be us. --Walt Kelly
Send this user an email
06-03-2020, 07:37 PM,
(06-03-2020, 03:34 AM)Scud Wrote:
(06-03-2020, 02:10 AM)Ashcloud Wrote: I have recently been discussing several games I used to play but somehow in the tide of time have mislaid. One of the games was Divided Ground which I had on CD - I decided that I needed to rummage around and see what I could find in the old storage. I have found the CD and on first attempt it would not do anything, the CD spun for a few seconds and gave a read error. I gave up and put it away again, but after further discussions I decided to dig it out again and this time I managed to (after a little clean and polish) get it to download the game files onto my hard drive. I fired it up and there it was, working. However, now if I take the CD out it asks for the CD and the CD does not want to respond again...

What to do?

Hi Ash,

There's some Divided Ground stuff in the Blitz downloads directory: https://www.theblitz.club/downloads/b-21...ed+_Ground

Dave

Thanks Dave, I will give it a look over - not sure what to look for but I guess patches will be worth trying?
Send this user an email
06-03-2020, 10:02 PM,
Campaign series Middle East is on sale at the Matrix games site, however I would recommend you wait till a general sale starts and you will pick it up at a rock bottom price.
Not that I'm a expert but do any new PC's or laptop's have a disk drive.
06-03-2020, 10:19 PM,
(06-03-2020, 10:02 PM)Lowlander Wrote: Campaign series Middle East is on sale at the Matrix games site, however I would recommend you wait till a general sale starts and you will pick it up at a rock bottom price.

I am fortunate to still have a cd reader in my laptop - but that said, it is a few years on now.

I would get the Middle East on sale now - Matrix does not drop much more than that, and not often.
Send this user an email
06-04-2020, 01:22 AM,
(06-03-2020, 10:19 PM)Ashcloud Wrote:
(06-03-2020, 10:02 PM)Lowlander Wrote: Campaign series Middle East is on sale at the Matrix games site, however I would recommend you wait till a general sale starts and you will pick it up at a rock bottom price.

I am fortunate to still have a cd reader in my laptop - but that said, it is a few years on now.

I would get the Middle East on sale now - Matrix does not drop much more than that, and not often.

Before you spend your hard earned cash, please don't make the same mistake as me when I bought the boxed edition in the mistaken belief I would get a nice thick manual. this does not exist.
Go for the download version.
06-04-2020, 01:24 AM, (This post was last modified: 06-04-2020, 01:26 AM by Jason Petho.)
Unfortunately, they didn't want to invest in printing a thick manual for us. 

I did format it to 8.5 x 11 though so you can print it at home. 

Keep in mind though, it is a living manual and does change after each UPDATE.
Send this user an email
06-27-2020, 06:52 PM,
(06-04-2020, 01:24 AM)Jason Petho Wrote: Unfortunately, they didn't want to invest in printing a thick manual for us. 

I did format it to 8.5 x 11 though so you can print it at home. 

Keep in mind though, it is a living manual and does change after each UPDATE.

Hi Jason,

Do you know of any way that I can turn off the cd in the drive thing with middle east divided ground? I can send you a photo of the original cd. I have the new Middle East in my collection but still want access to the old one.

Best regards,
Ash
Send this user an email
06-28-2020, 06:40 AM,
Hi Ash,

I haven't done that since the 90's, but you can use software to virtually mount a CD. Here's a link to free ones, though I'm not endorsing any, just the results of a quick search: https://www.geckoandfly.com/18377/5-best...t-windows/. I used to use PowerISO, which I bought for that purpose and still have. 

Here's a tutorial on how it works: https://www.instructables.com/id/Play-a-...h-no-disc/. You can probably find other tutorials by googling. Expect them, like the link, to be pretty dated.

Hope that helps.

Dave
Resolve then, that on this very ground, with small flags waving and tinny blasts on tiny trumpets, we shall meet the enemy, and not only may he be ours, he may be us. --Walt Kelly
Send this user an email
06-29-2020, 04:45 PM,
(06-28-2020, 06:40 AM)Scud Wrote: Hi Ash,

I haven't done that since the 90's, but you can use software to virtually mount a CD. Here's a link to free ones, though I'm not endorsing any, just the results of a quick search: https://www.geckoandfly.com/18377/5-best...t-windows/. I used to use PowerISO, which I bought for that purpose and still have. 

Here's a tutorial on how it works: https://www.instructables.com/id/Play-a-...h-no-disc/. You can probably find other tutorials by googling. Expect them, like the link, to be pretty dated.

Hope that helps.

Dave

Hi Dave,

Thanks for the suggestion. I tried this but it still asks for the E Drive which is my DVD drive and not the Virtually Mounted drive. Frustrating me no end.

Ash
Send this user an email