• Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Commanders...HQ's...Supply Question
05-30-2020, 11:28 PM,
c_Question Mark  Commanders...HQ's...Supply Question
Hello Gentlemen:

I was spitballin' w/ an opponent the other day and thought I recalled the manual mentions and defines the effect Commanders have on Supply when stacked with their HQ.  I seem to recall it has an effect, something gets doubled, the range or percent chance?  Not sure...so asking for help...

I scoured the PDF, risked death and destruction to my old paper WF manual (simply by opening it...the spine's shot...like the owner's) and couldn't find any information on it.

Did I just hallucinate the entire affair?

Most of the time we're using them in combat to get that addition on the roll, but in some cases improving supply (especially with a lower rated commander who doesn't add much) is a better task for them.  I think.

Peyote is a bitch...and the 60's are a bit fuzzy...come to think of it...the 70's...and about half of the 80's as well...
Don't start!...if I'd known I was going to live this long I'd have taken better care of this old bag of bones...lol...
 Read2 Peace Pipe Drink Smoke Band Beam Me Up

Regards,

Danny Boy
Quote this message in a reply
05-31-2020, 12:05 AM,
RE: Commanders...HQ's...Supply Question
Hi Dan,

Thought I remember reading something also about leaders and supply but can't find it either...old age!!

I believe a leader increases the supply range of its parent HQ by a number like 2 hexes seems to stick in my cranium.

Therefore a leader would increase the supply range of its parent HQ by 2 hexes. So a battalion has a normal supply range of 8. With a leader it would be 10.

(Anyone, if I'm all wet start yelling!)

Regards,
John
05-31-2020, 12:26 AM,
Update:

In CSME (Dan, if you have that game) it covers this well under the rules section for Combat Efficiency. Leaders actually increase the range by their command rating provided the HQ and the leader don't move. So a 3 rating leader would increase a battalion supply range from the normal 8 to 11.

As for JTCS I can still find no reference to this action but I'll keep looking.
05-31-2020, 12:47 AM,
My 2 cents. Whether a cdr is present or not, should not affect the range. Range should be the vehicles used. As far as I can remember, it is not the cdr, he is busy at the front. The XO is responsible for resupply.
05-31-2020, 04:12 AM,
I hear what you say OJW but that is not the way it works. There is some abstraction here for sure.

@Dan: I just checked this using West Front 2.02 edition. The leader command rating in fact changes the parent HQ supply range by the value of his command rating of the leader. 

A battalion HQ has a supply range of 8, when stacked with a parent commander (1 factor command rating) the range goes to 9.

Similarly, I tried it again. A Regiment HQ has a supply range of 15, when stacked with a parent commander (3 factor command rating) the range goes to 18. 

Forget my post above about the 2 hexes. I was wrong.

Hope this helps!!

Regards,
John
05-31-2020, 12:28 PM,
I here what you are saying. I look at it from reality.

Your truck has a range of 10 miles. Five miles out, five miles back. Refuel. A Cdr shows up, the truck still only has a range of 10 miles. Cdr cannot increase gas mileage.

That's the way I think. Bad habit and hard to shake. That is why others, such as yourself, keep me in line. :)
05-31-2020, 12:40 PM,
CSME, CSVN and future games will also visually show you the command range graphically so you can see what the percentages are for supply
Send this user an email
05-31-2020, 10:47 PM,
Thank you very much gentlemen...OJW's point is well made...but as John says...abstraction is the name of the day.
So the effect is not nearly as large as I had thought, but there is indeed an effect.

Not to affect my effects, but action and results apply, no matter how quantum the impact.

As Edward Nygma (soon to become the Riddler) once told Batman...
"what to a dead man, a cruise ship, and an emu have in common?"
"nothing"

I submit Jim Carrey's "Riddler" was the best Batman villain EVER.
Of course there is some stiff competition, Nicholson's Joker, Cesar Romero, Danny Devito, Schwarzenegger, Vincent Price, Tom Hardy, Eartha Kitt vs. Julie Numar, and a host more that elude me at the moment...;)
06-01-2020, 01:14 AM,
(05-31-2020, 12:40 PM)Jason Petho Wrote: CSME, CSVN and future games will also visually show you the command range graphically so you can see what the percentages are for supply

I believe CS already does. Highlight the HQ unit and hit the “W” key ... IIRC
06-01-2020, 01:26 PM,
(05-31-2020, 12:40 PM)Jason Petho Wrote: CSME, CSVN and future games will also visually show you the command range graphically so you can see what the percentages are for supply

Jason,

Can we see a screenshot of how that looks?