• Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

France'40 Gold mod
05-24-2020, 07:51 PM, (This post was last modified: 06-20-2020, 11:28 PM by Lowlander.)
France'40 Gold mod
[Image: Screenshot%20%284%29.jpg][Image: Screenshot%20%285%29.jpg] Updated all cycle and motorcycle art and contracted mines symbols to better size plus other minor tweaks.

.jpg   Screenshot (5).jpg (Size: 454.65 KB / Downloads: 25) [attachment=4892
[Image: Screenshot%20f1.jpg]
One, before installing this mod make a copy of your France'40 Gold to another location, then unzip this file into it, that way your vanilla version will remain pristine.
This is a full mod which will replace all folders except Media.

It's based on a customs version including Jisons map mod, Green's leader mod, OneManArmy symbols, J Mass unit boxes, Shipbucket AFV's and Artillery, Junior Generals art, Warhorse 3D terrain and many many others work, plus vanilla files.
The vast majority of files have been reworked by myself to my needs.
[Image: Screenshot%20f2.jpg]
Whilst playing France'40 I had difficulty recognising static units which motivated me to change things around and a need for cleaner unit art.

Download link
https://1drv.ms/u/s!AtveAAprCcpna5XWUo-f...A?e=gDRtkL
Quote this message in a reply
05-25-2020, 05:15 PM,
Thumbs_Up  RE: France'40 Gold mod
Fantastic job, Ian. I have spent some time looking at your changes and have to say I am really impressed.  

Since you have changed virtually everything it is a lot to take in but two things stand out for me. The first is that it all works well together and it simply pleasant to look at. Nothing looks out of place. Secondly, the amazing clarity. You can see everything at a glance without any ambiguity. To me this is the most important thing for any Mod. It does not matter how good something looks if it does not aid in playing the game. I have attached a couple of screenshots to make my point.  

[Image: sample1.jpg]

[Image: sample3.jpg]

So easy to distinguish between different types of entrenchments, fortifications, terrain types, etc.

I am not sure which parts of the Mod are original and which parts you borrowed but certainly many things are new to me. And bringing everything together must have been a colossal task. Tremendous effort. Keep up the good work!

John
05-25-2020, 07:32 PM,
RE: France'40 Gold mod
Thanks for you kind words John, I have really appreciated your historical leader mods which standardised and enhanced the gaming experience across the PZC series of games.
Just a word to gamers reading this, they can just use the map file to alter the terrain graphics. and or pick and mix the unit art as they see fit.
05-27-2020, 05:26 AM,
(05-25-2020, 07:32 PM)Lowlander Wrote: Thanks for you kind words John, I have really appreciated your historical leader mods which standardised and enhanced the gaming experience across the PZC series of games.
Just a word to gamers reading this, they can just use the map file to alter the terrain graphics. and or pick and mix the unit art as they see fit.

Yes a very nice mod and I expect it took a lot of long hours putting it together. I will definitely use it. 

Here is how your 2DSymbolsLg file looks in Bulge 44 Gold. The standard units in Gold are larger so the fit is a bit tighter against the symbols. But I could fix this by using your 2DSymbols files 
I think. 

Or I could keep the larger square units which I've already modded by removing the edging effects on them and just try tweaking a few things you've done. See if I can move the corner banding and maybe change the HQ colour bands to something less fluorescent.

[Image: 2020-05-26_19h54_58.png]

Ian
05-27-2020, 06:21 AM, (This post was last modified: 06-09-2020, 11:38 PM by Lowlander. Edit Reason: expand reply )
You can use whatever files you want, mix and match at your leisure. but I'm happy with what I've got, furthermore I'm indebted to al the modder's whom I mentioned in my initial post who have made these games so enjoyable.

I have already altered every game in the PZC series to this France'40 mod standard, Minsk'44 just needs rechecked, lots of new original unit art especially AFV's.

However the unit art of the remaining games is vanilla as this is the time consuming part.
As I only play the campaign games versus the AI we need a break so one just mods as a change between turns.

Almost forgot please check out the 3D terrain, IMHO the 3D figures are so much better than the LARGE 3D counters which obscure the map.

Edit, After copying game to new location and add the mod, starting the game is simple.
Press the windows key and r key, a dialog box will appear, select browse and navigate  to the location of the modded game folder, enter the France 40 game folder and double click the tricolour/ France40 exe file , the path will be selected, press OK, the game will start.

[Image: Screenshot%20%284%29.jpg][Image: Screenshot%20b1.jpg]