• Blitz Shadow Player
  • Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

How to get rid of top down format - help!!
05-24-2020, 06:06 AM,
How to get rid of top down format - help!!
Just coming back to AotR and RV and I installed the new versions and, surprisingly, got everything in the top down format. I really really don't like it. Using the contents of the 'orig graphics' folders in the 'notes' folder seems to leave a butchered game,with pictures missing etc.  See the pic, for example. 

Can anyone help? Can i get rid of this mod? Like I said, the revert folders in the Notes folder don't seem to work, as below....

Thanks.. 

[Image: 1.png]
Quote this message in a reply
05-24-2020, 07:51 AM,
RE: How to get rid of top down format - help!!
Which game and which scenario is the screenshot from? I've swapped out the new graphics for the old  using JGME for both RV and for AOTR and the graphics look as they should. Is it possible you made some mistake swapping the graphics over?

If you can tell me which scenario you are looking at I will open that and compare your screen shot with what I see.
"Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake. It is impolite."
Napoleon I
05-24-2020, 08:49 AM,
Thanks, Embis. It's AotR, 410726 Yartsevo (centre).
05-24-2020, 05:05 PM, (This post was last modified: 05-24-2020, 05:27 PM by Embis.)
Well, It isn't you, I get the same result. There are some graphics missing or wrongly flagged in the database. And the bad news is.......  the ones you found aren't the only ones. There are quite a few of the SDKFZ's that are flagged with a missing graphic.  

As far as I know this only applies if you revert to the original graphics, the top down graphics appear to have been flagged correctly, certainly in the scenario you screenshotted there are no missing graphics if you use the top down mod.

There are some problems in the graphics with Eagles Strike as well IIRC. It would be nice if these could be fixed, it wouldn't be hard for someone who can mod, some of us requested this some time ago... ahh...but I digress....and drift into a world of fantasy and unfulfilled dreams..

For your particular scenario then the following would be a workaround, if you have the inclination:

PLEASE NOTE: The vehicle database works properly for the top down mod so if you make the following changes in the database and then decide to go back to the top down mod you will need to reverse the process to get units to display correctly.

1. Open the database editor, 
  2. open the vehicle tab and find the area where the SDKFZ's are listed
  3. Find SDKFZ 232 (rad 6)
  4. right click on the entry for that and choose <edit>
  5. on the window that pops up find the entry for <Picture>  and change that from 115 to 65
  6. do the same for the following:  SDKFZ 263 (RAD 6)    and   SDKFZ 247
  7. save
I am not an expert on SDFKZ's so i cant guarantee that you will be looking at exactly the right graphic, there are so many varieties, but you wont be looking at a blank graphic.

EDIT:
apologies, for SDKFZ 247 change the graphic to 61 not 65

...if you or anyone else finds a missing graphic in AOTR and can supply an edit for the database perhaps you could post that to this thread so that eventually we can fix them all?
Napoleon I
05-24-2020, 05:56 PM, (This post was last modified: 05-24-2020, 05:57 PM by phoenix.)
Thanks for that, Embis. There are other issues too, I think. I've seen pictures of Shermans used for various Axis armour (not captured), but can't now recall which scenario that was.

I think it's a shame someone decided to impose the top down mod. I don't see why it wasn't left as a choice, as a mod. I really don't like it because I actually find it hard to work out what I'm looking at with the TD mod.

I was going to buy a couple more in this series but I won't now, because I don't want to play it with those graphics and the fixes are a little beyond me when there's other choices of game.

Thanks for your help.
05-24-2020, 07:06 PM,
Time to send out a plea to Warhorse, or any other modders out there...Angry Mob

... Please Can you fix what is already out here before you offer us any more new Mods? 

If old players like Phoenix are moving away from SB because of what is a relatively easy problem to fix, then thats a shrinking pool of people to enjoy your fantastic new work.  

There is some easy kudos for someone to have here  Big Grin

If someone can fix this and shout about it on here, then new people can read more positive stuff about the series and we might get some new players... dont... and we wont... and the pool of players keeps on shrinking. 

In previous threads I have exclaimed what a fan I am of SB, I still am, and I always will be... but I must say..... this stuff niggles even me.
Napoleon I
05-24-2020, 09:23 PM,
Guys, as I said before, I was told to do the top down that Ed had started, there was NO mention of any ability to revert to the old graphics, I used up missing slots in the graphics sheets, and/or changed graphics as that was what I was told to do. It is a lot of work to revert back, some might not think so, but if you go and try to change all those images back, will take some time. I'm sorry the TD doesn't suit everyone, but that was the decision of JTS to go moving forward. They should not have offered to revert back, I could have told them what was going to happen. If I had known going into it that that would need to be an option, I would have made the necessary arrangements, but that is past now. Some won't like the changes, just like with the Campaign Series that Matrix is doing is changing, but that is what is happening. I'm not the only modder, if people are going to quit playing over images, that is your choice, but to miss out on what is coming would be a shame. Soon the Blitzkrieg will be available, and with my Korea Mod every nation is available, where before there was only a handful of countrys.
Meine Ehre heisst Treue

http://www.cslegion.com/
05-24-2020, 10:00 PM,
I don't think anyone is criticizing you or your work, Warhorse. Far from it. I was merely saying I wish JTS hadn't decided to go TD. And that's because I can't really see what units are there very clearly with that mod. Might be my ageing eyes....

When you say Blitzkrieg will soon be available, what do you mean? A new SB title? Or something to do with the strategic warfare title?

Thanks.
05-24-2020, 10:12 PM,
(05-24-2020, 10:00 PM)phoenix Wrote: I don't think anyone is criticizing you or your work, Warhorse. Far from it. I was merely saying I wish JTS hadn't decided to go TD. And that's because I can't really see what units are there very clearly with that mod. Might be my ageing eyes....

When you say Blitzkrieg will soon be available, what do you mean? A new SB title? Or something to do with the strategic warfare title?

Thanks.

The Blitzkrieg is part of a mod using Pacific War, have already added in the British, Belgians, Dutch, French, Polish, and quite a few other countrys. I have made a few scenario's as well. It will be an ongoing work, eventually next will be Afrika Korps kit as well. A lot of work, but am really excited about early war stuff!
Meine Ehre heisst Treue

http://www.cslegion.com/
05-24-2020, 11:22 PM,
I was thinking about exactly that question in the past days how to revert back to the stock unit graphics.

Does this problem only relate to specific SB titles or the whole series?