• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Using Direct Play
05-16-2020, 02:30 AM,
Using Direct Play
Wanting to have a go at direct play against an opponent and I understand that the solution is to open some specific ports. Can anyone describe how you do this in more detail? I need some specific instructions to walk me through the process. I'm using windows 10. 

Please treat me like an idiot... but politely. Smile
"Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake. It is impolite."
Napoleon I
Quote this message in a reply
05-18-2020, 05:38 AM, (This post was last modified: 05-18-2020, 05:40 AM by WargameGeneral.)
RE: Using Direct Play
Just had a quick look at the user manual. Page 75 states the following:

"This section describes the details associated with multi-player Network Play. Microsoft’s Direct Play is used for this purpose. The TCP/IP protocol is used to connect the computers being used. If you are using a firewall to connect to the Internet, you must configure it before you can connect using Direct Play. Information on how to do this can be found in this Microsoft technical article: DirectX: Ports Required to Play on a Network."

No direct link in the manual, but a quick Google search brings up the following:

https://jeffpar.github.io/kbarchive/kb/240/Q240429/

"Summary: This article describes the ports required to play Microsoft DirectX multiplayer games through a firewall, a proxy server, a router, Network Address Translation (NAT), or Intenet Connection Sharing (ICS)."

Hope that helps...  Helmet Smile
05-18-2020, 06:58 AM,
Many years ago, my friends and I used the Hamachi utility. It worked for the Naval Campaigns Midway. Other HPS \ JTS products should also work.
05-18-2020, 08:32 PM,
(05-18-2020, 06:58 AM)Polygraph Polygraphovich Wrote: Many years ago, my friends and I used the Hamachi utility. It worked for the Naval Campaigns Midway. Other HPS \ JTS products should also work.

Thanks Sergey, that looks like a great solution. I downloaded it from https://www.vpn.net/  I will give it a try and report back. Big Grin
Napoleon I
05-26-2020, 09:28 AM,
Couldnt get it to work, very frustrating Cry
Napoleon I
06-05-2020, 02:31 AM,
Over on the JTS website, in the Q & A section, they posted this.

http://johntillersoftware.com/Resources.php

Q: We want to play over the internet with a direct connection, but are having trouble doing so. What specifics can you share?
A: There are a variety of challenges when trying to make a direct connection accross the web, the biggest being firewalls (security software). We can't give you specifics on each particular firewall, as there are tons of them, however we can point out that you need to have the following ports open for UDP/TCP traffic:

47624 to 47624
2300 to 2400
6073 to 6073

If you do this you should be able to connect to your opponents computer and conduct a real-time game. People have done it successfully in 2020.