• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Wargame to Research Novel
05-14-2020, 02:51 AM,
Feedback Needed  Wargame to Research Novel
I’m writing a novel set on the Eastern Front in WW2 during Operation Bagration and the war in East Prussia. I’ve done a lot of reading and research on the subject, including memoirs, but think that a computer game/simulation set during the conflict would help me with better understanding, and improve realism in the story. I’d be looking for a game that focuses more on warfare at the tactical level.

I have no military experience, and have little experience with computer wargames.
I used to play Panzer Strike! on my Commodore 64 (which I loved), and have purchased Combat Mission Red Thunder. I’ve spent some time playing it, but I’m still learning, as it’s quite complex. I’ve thought about getting Steel Division 2 as well, which is set during Operation Bagration. Maybe CMRT is my best option, but I’m interested in any thoughts from the perspective of more experienced wargamers, and whether there are any other games or resources I should consider.

I have a new PC running Win10.

Many thanks for any help or advice!
Quote this message in a reply
05-14-2020, 04:47 PM,
RE: Wargame to Research Novel
(05-14-2020, 02:51 AM)Corynh Wrote: I’m writing a novel set on the Eastern Front in WW2 during Operation Bagration and the war in East Prussia. I’ve done a lot of reading and research on the subject, including memoirs, but think that a computer game/simulation set during the conflict would help me with better understanding, and improve realism in the story. I’d be looking for a game that focuses more on warfare at the tactical level.

I have no military experience, and have little experience with computer wargames.
I used to play Panzer Strike! on my Commodore 64 (which I loved), and have purchased Combat Mission Red Thunder. I’ve spent some time playing it, but I’m still learning, as it’s quite complex. I’ve thought about getting Steel Division 2 as well, which is set during Operation Bagration. Maybe CMRT is my best option, but I’m interested in any thoughts from the perspective of more experienced wargamers, and whether there are any other games or resources I should consider.

Hey, would love to read the end product.

In my experience you should look at these for a tactical approach:

Close Combat: Cross of Iron
Nations At War Digital on Steam
Lock 'n Load Tactical Digital on Steam
Squad Battles Red Victory - http://www.johntillersoftware.com/
Squad Battles Winter War - http://www.johntillersoftware.com/

Best of luck.
Send this user an email
05-17-2020, 12:57 AM,
(05-14-2020, 02:51 AM)Corynh Wrote: I’m writing a novel set on the Eastern Front in WW2 during Operation Bagration and the war in East Prussia. I’ve done a lot of reading and research on the subject, including memoirs, but think that a computer game/simulation set during the conflict would help me with better understanding, and improve realism in the story. I’d be looking for a game that focuses more on warfare at the tactical level.

Plus one on interest in seeing the finished product.

I haven't played any Combat Mission since the first generation of the game, CMxx I guess it would be called. That being said, the graphics from the Combat Mission series, especially the more recent renditions, would give almost a "movie" view of the battles. I would think that would be very useful for someone wanting reference material for a novel.
Quote:Me and General McAulliffe decided to move I Company up on the line. That is, if you agree.
- SGT Kinnie to PFC Holley, Battleground, 1949
05-20-2020, 12:43 PM,
(05-14-2020, 04:47 PM)Ashcloud Wrote:

Squad Battles Winter War - http://www.johntillersoftware.
[quote pid='436383' dateline='1589438843']
Best of luck.
[/quote]

Thank you for your helpful suggestions. I’m delighted that you’d be interested in reading the book when it’s done. I am trying to get people to review parts of the manuscript to ensure some accuracy. Cheers, Coryn
05-20-2020, 12:45 PM,
(05-17-2020, 12:57 AM)MikeC Wrote:

Plus one on interest in seeing the finished product.

I haven't played any Combat Mission since the first generation of the game, CMxx I guess it would be called. That being said, the graphics from the Combat Mission series, especially the more recent renditions, would give almost a "movie" view of the battles. I would think that would be very useful for someone wanting reference material for a 
[quote pid='436383' dateline='1589438843']
Best of luck.
[/quote]

Thank you for your helpful suggestion. I’m delighted that you’d be interested in reading the book when it’s done. I am trying to get people to review parts of the manuscript to ensure some accuracy. In the meantime, I think I’ll continue to focus on CM Red Thunder. Cheers, Coryn
06-01-2020, 12:03 AM, (This post was last modified: 06-02-2020, 09:31 PM by Wolfgang.)
Combat Mission.
Close Combat.
Lock N' Load.
Conflict of Heroes.
Send this user an email
06-01-2020, 09:19 PM,
(05-14-2020, 04:47 PM)Ashcloud Wrote:

Squad Battles Winter War - http://www.johntillersoftware.com/

Best of luck.

I would be happy to read bits if it would help.

Another game that might help is Battle Academy 2 Eastern Front.

I read other comments saying to pass on Squad Battles - I wouldn't, love them - you get to bond with individual leaders, and use specific personal weapons (so fun).
Send this user an email