• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Eric Bonner Tourney - Round 5
05-04-2020, 06:43 AM,
Eric Bonner Tourney - Round 5
The round 5 assignments for the Eric Bonner tournament and updated bracket have been posted in the tournaments area and can commence. I've contacted all remaining players who don't have byes. Please establish contact with your opponent and notify me with any problems. This is a 20 turn scenario, so please make an effort to be done no later than June 30.

The top bracket is down to two players. The bottom "murder incorporated" bracket has ten of us left, hanging on by threads.

As always, condolences to those who've been knocked out and good luck to those who remain.

Dave
Resolve then, that on this very ground, with small flags waving and tinny blasts on tiny trumpets, we shall meet the enemy, and not only may he be ours, he may be us. --Walt Kelly
Send this user an email
Quote this message in a reply
05-04-2020, 11:42 AM,
RE: Eric Bonner Tourney - Round 5
Also, when the top guy has to face the last bottom guy, the bottom guy should have to beat the top guy twice to win, I'm assuming, since it is a double elimination? It's only fair.
05-04-2020, 12:41 PM,
(05-04-2020, 11:42 AM)Outlaw Josey Wales Wrote: Also, when the top guy has to face the last bottom guy, the bottom guy should have to beat the top guy twice to win, I'm assuming, since it is a double elimination?  It's only fair.

Correct. Two losses knocks you out, so the bottom guy will have to beat the top guy twice. The top will just need to beat the bottom guy once.
Resolve then, that on this very ground, with small flags waving and tinny blasts on tiny trumpets, we shall meet the enemy, and not only may he be ours, he may be us. --Walt Kelly
Send this user an email
05-04-2020, 12:57 PM,
Whew!!

Glad we got that cleared up! Big Grin 

I'm standing by with a broom, coal shovel and bucket to sweep up confetti when the winner comes forth!

Good luck to all remaining in this tourney!!

John Cigar5
05-07-2020, 07:13 AM,
(05-04-2020, 12:41 PM)Scud Wrote:
(05-04-2020, 11:42 AM)Outlaw Josey Wales Wrote: Also, when the top guy has to face the last bottom guy, the bottom guy should have to beat the top guy twice to win, I'm assuming, since it is a double elimination?  It's only fair.

Correct. Two losses knocks you out, so the bottom guy will have to beat the top guy twice. The top will just need to beat the bottom guy once.

I assume we are talking about the final match here.   Assuming that the bottom guy beats the top guy, will the same scenario be played again?  If so will the two opponents switch sides for the deciding match?
05-07-2020, 08:18 AM,
(05-07-2020, 07:13 AM)Hawk Kriegsman Wrote:
(05-04-2020, 12:41 PM)Scud Wrote:

I assume we are talking about the final match here.   Assuming that the bottom guy beats the top guy, will the same scenario be played again?  If so will the two opponents switch sides for the deciding match?

Hmmm. I was thinking a new scenario. I suppose it could be a mirror. That would probably be better for fairness as long as they don't mind mirroring. Maybe I'll let the final two decide.
Send this user an email
05-07-2020, 10:41 PM,
New scenario is better. If it is a little better to one side, then so be it. He gets a little advantage for being the last one in the winners bracket.
06-02-2020, 05:54 AM,
any thoughts to playing the final as a head to head online?

Perhaps a somewhat smaller scenario 10 turns that could be replayed / streamed?

I've played a couple hosted lH2H games and always felt more pressure to make decisions and move one rather than potentially over think it.

Would be good to see if it was possible.
06-02-2020, 01:04 PM,
Probably, not a good idea for a tourney. Have to get parties online at the same time. Different time zones and real life will get in the way. They used to have an online league for a little while. That was ok. Would be a lot better if they could set it up on the blitz so that people could go there and find an opponent to play and when you are done, be right back in the room. Most people would not be able to play a game in one sitting.
06-02-2020, 08:36 PM,
I think H2H play on line is a neat idea and I never knew we had an online league years ago.

But I think OJW is right. Real life is a big obstacle to online play even on a good day. I find myself being pulled away from regular play more times than I can admit. Wink