• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Night Distribution Percentage
04-09-2020, 10:34 PM,
Night Distribution Percentage
I have looked through various recently released Gold versions of the PzC series and see great variations in the night distribution percentage. Some scenarios do not use it at all, cannot understand why, whilst those games that do vary from 30% to 60%. Having done some testing myself I have settled on a setting of 40%.

What are peoples opinions?
Quote this message in a reply
04-10-2020, 12:33 AM,
RE: Night Distribution Percentage
Do you mean Night Disruption?

Though the mechanic was added to older titles through patches, the scenarios were not always updated. That's why some have a setting of 0%.

I prefer moderate values, as otherwise a side with high quality units has a significant advantage over a lower quality opponent. Though that's somewhat historical, A quality mobile units operating as if it's daytime doesn't feel right.
04-10-2020, 01:37 AM,
Does that not have to be set in the PDT File ?

If so I agree it needs to be revised for most older games and I would love to know how to access those opaque files :)
04-10-2020, 01:42 AM,
Gents: Smoke7

It depends on the time period.

WW2 - I agree there should be night disruption. Units that leave a road or path can certainly "get lost" and wander around. I believe 30% is an appropriate setting. It penalizes a player who takes to the fields, but there is a 70% chance per hex traveled that units will remain undistributed. So, a gambling player "could" try to maneuver a unit off road for a few hexes in order to be in a more favorable position come day break.

Modern era (MC) - There should be no night disruption. Units are equipped to operate at night and have satellite provided images of the terrain and areas where they are operating.
Regards, Mike / "A good plan violently executed now is better than a perfect plan executed next week." - George S. Patton /
Send this user an email
04-10-2020, 07:39 AM,
Perhaps my memory is wrong but I thought a figure of 70% was going to be the "norm" for new PzC titles maybe David could chip in about that?

I really don't know if that is too high but that is for a C quality unit, if the unit has A or B quality then the situation is improved.

The probability for Quality A units is multiplied by 0.25.
• The probability for Quality B units is multiplied by 0.50.
• The probability for Quality D units is multiplied by 1.50.
• The probability for Quality E units is multiplied by 2.00.
• The probability for Quality F units is multiplied by 4.00.

As for the older titles I suppose it depends on if the PzC Gold team have the time, resources or will to edit the older titles PDT files to introduce consistency for this feature across the series?
04-11-2020, 06:13 AM,
Also, it has always seems strange to me that units can be disrupted by moving at night, but not by assaulting...seems like a night assault would almost certainly result in the attacker being disrupted, even if they won?
04-11-2020, 07:20 AM,
I think that those 30-40% are a good compromise..
Regarding assaults during the night, especially Red Army was doing such stuff during the war in order to disrupt and tire down the Germans. Unluckily, 30-40% is mostly disruption for Soviet units while the B-quality Germans are mostly ok.
04-11-2020, 08:46 AM,
(04-11-2020, 06:13 AM)76mm Wrote: Also, it has always seems strange to me that units can be disrupted by moving at night, but not by assaulting...seems like a night assault would almost certainly result in the attacker being disrupted, even if they won?

Agree with you totally. I think it would be better if all units assaulting at night irrespective of the result were disrupted.
04-11-2020, 01:43 PM,
The attacking units, in my experience, do always disrupt? Do either of you have examples where they don't? Quality modifiers included, I have not seen A quality troops not disrupt at night, when winning an assault, that I recall.

Rick
[Image: exercise.png]
04-11-2020, 02:34 PM,
(04-11-2020, 01:43 PM)Ricky B Wrote: The attacking units, in my experience, do always disrupt? Do either of you have examples where they don't? Quality modifiers included, I have not seen A quality troops not disrupt at night, when winning an assault, that I recall.

Rick

The chance of the attacker Disrupting at night is twice that of normal but it does not appear to be affected by the Night Move Disruption percentage. So depending on what value the percentage is set at, assaulting can even be I relatively safe way of moving at night. I have used it many times without the attacker suffering Disruption. But agree that automatic Disruption would make more sense.