• Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Question for panzer campaign stalingrad
04-09-2020, 06:06 AM,
Question for panzer campaign stalingrad
Hi,

I have an ongoing game as germany on the stalingrad ss to the rescue. I'm a beginner and i have some problem to understand how to best employ troops. I successfully cleaned the northern part of the city but the southerns pocket are hard to crack. Can you tell me what is the best way to do so ? I have some unit I don't really understand how to use, like self propelled aa artillery and so on. Is there a way to quicken the reduction of the pocket by fine tunning or do you have to use brut force ? I tried to "desorganize" units in the pocket but hard to do it for all...

Thx
Quote this message in a reply
04-09-2020, 06:16 AM,
RE: Question for panzer campaign stalingrad
[Image: 50ce15bfab98212195206.0374966001326794744.gif]
04-09-2020, 06:37 AM,
Brute force and luck Sharky. Just as historically it is a tough go to hold together and destroy the last Soviet pockets.

Rick
[Image: exercise.png]
04-09-2020, 07:13 AM,
By that time, the city itself is just a side show, as the Axis player, you have far more important issues and bigger problems. As for the Stalingrad, focus on only keeping the Soviets at bay. That northern part was really the last to be taken, all further attacks within the city were stopped on 19th/20th November. No need to worry about those objectives.

Good luck with the game! If you will need any game-play advice, or there is something unclear, feel free to ask!  Helmet Wink
04-15-2020, 06:44 AM,
so i should back as many troops from the city to plus the gap in the north ?

also, can you tell me how to use anti tank gun ? they seem not so effective, especially the 37mm german one, you have to put it in transport mode, unload in front of the ennemy, likely suffer casualties in the process, and... nothing...

i think i haven't tried the 88 because no one want to sit in front of it, but still, 37 should be able to do something no ? i no it doesn't have an awesome reputation, but still should be useful.

also, how to use the salf propelled AA ? are they usefull as meatgrinder ? assault or pure defense ?

thx for the help anyway !
04-15-2020, 07:06 AM,
(04-15-2020, 06:44 AM)Sharky Wrote: so i should back as many troops from the city to plus the gap in the north ?

also, can you tell me how to use anti tank gun ? they seem not so effective, especially the 37mm german one, you have to put it in transport mode, unload in front of the ennemy, likely suffer casualties in the process, and... nothing...

i think i haven't tried the 88 because no one want to sit in front of it, but still, 37 should be able to do something no ? i no it doesn't have an awesome reputation, but still should be useful.

also, how to use the salf propelled AA ? are they usefull as meatgrinder ? assault or pure defense ?

If the ground is not frozen then use them to race along roads and dig in. Preferably villages. I'd break them down into companies. That keeps the road stacking level down to allow other units to pass through in T mode. 
They are useful for holding a hex against an assault. Usually the last unit to disrupt from artillery or direct fire is that useless 2 gun 37mm A/T unit......
04-15-2020, 09:05 AM,
(04-15-2020, 07:06 AM)Plain Ian Wrote:
(04-15-2020, 06:44 AM)Sharky Wrote: so i should back as many troops from the city to plus the gap in the north ?

If the ground is not frozen then use them to race along roads and dig in. Preferably villages. I'd break them down into companies. That keeps the road stacking level down to allow other units to pass through in T mode. 
They are useful for holding a hex against an assault. Usually the last unit to disrupt from artillery or direct fire is that useless 2 gun 37mm A/T unit......

hi,

thanks, i didn't know in the panzer campaign you could cut into subunit !

but small unit like that are still able to do something against a unit like 300 mens ?
05-08-2020, 10:27 AM,
The company sized unit should be able to at least hold the 300 man unit off for a bit until you can get units up to help stem the tide.
05-12-2020, 02:48 PM,
(05-08-2020, 10:27 AM)Ethanjem Wrote: The company sized unit should be able to at least hold the 300 man unit off for a bit until you can get units up to help stem the tide.

so basically i should send as many unit from the city to the north for the time being ? tried again to assault but nothing at all, 1 killed in soviet side and that's it

one thing i don't get is rail mode. on another game i cannot put some unit on rail. they have full movement point and some others are already on rail. apparently there's a limit, but can't see it anywhere. the website say to go to parameter data but can't find it. at first a thaugh could not go on rail in forest hex but even in open country appear not to work. any tips ?
05-12-2020, 04:31 PM,
(05-12-2020, 02:48 PM)Sharky Wrote:
(05-08-2020, 10:27 AM)Ethanjem Wrote: The company sized unit should be able to at least hold the 300 man unit off for a bit until you can get units up to help stem the tide.

so basically i should send as many unit from the city to the north for the time being ? tried again to assault but nothing at all, 1 killed in soviet side and that's it

one thing i don't get is rail mode. on another game i cannot put some unit on rail. they have full movement point and some others are already on rail. apparently there's a limit, but can't see it anywhere. the website say to go to parameter data but can't find it. at first a thaugh could not go on rail in forest hex but even in open country appear not to work. any tips ?

Try to scroll that parameter data file slowly, line by line, it´s for 1000% there. Somewhere within the first paragraphs is a line that says Axis Rail Capacity, Russian Rail Capacity. Cannot take a screenshot at the moment as I´m at work.

Also, while attempting to entrain another unit, I think there is an error message on the bottom left corner that should say Rail Capacity exceeded or something like this..