• Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

WDS Blog post - Scheldt '44 Play Test
04-06-2020, 01:22 AM,
WDS Blog post - Scheldt '44 Play Test
Hi All,

Mike Prucha has kindly sent me some after action reports on his current play test with Dave Michas. Its a very interesting read.

Get it here, including plenty of screenshots; Link to WDS Blog Post

[Image: Blog%2076%20-%206.jpg]

[Image: Blog%2076%20-%2017.jpg]
Quote this message in a reply
04-06-2020, 01:33 AM,
RE: WDS Blog post - Scheldt '44 Play Test
Very, very impressive! Thumbs Up

Thanks for sharing.
04-06-2020, 01:53 AM,
Great read, looks like a very challenging scenario, especially if you are up against a good defensive player.

RickyB would be a nightmare to play this one against as counterattacks against overextended forces are his speciality!  Whistle
04-06-2020, 01:56 AM,
Will love it :-)
04-06-2020, 02:01 AM,
Looks very promising!

This does remind me of a typo in a region name that's on the France '40 map as well: the region covering the southern part of Noord-Brabant in the Netherlands and the north-eastern part of Flanders in Belgium is called De Kempen, not De Kampen.
04-06-2020, 02:10 AM,
(04-06-2020, 02:01 AM)ComradeP Wrote: Looks very promising!

This does remind me of a typo in a region name that's on the France '40 map as well: the region covering the southern part of Noord-Brabant in the Netherlands and the north-eastern part of Flanders in Belgium is called De Kempen, not De Kampen.

Thank you, I'll pass this onto the team! We will get it corrected....

David
04-06-2020, 01:07 PM,
Amazing stuff! I'm currently playing France '40 as both the Allies and Axis...fun to see the same areas four years later in completely different circumstances! Can't wait! J
04-07-2020, 03:23 AM,
(04-06-2020, 01:22 AM)trela Wrote: Hi All,

Mike Prucha has kindly sent me some after action reports on his current play test with Dave Michas. Its a very interesting read.

[Image: 2020-04-06_18h11_39.png]

Assaulting with E morale units? This game is not for the faint hearted. Never mind with some more .303 bullets they get up to D. 
I'm a bit surprised that men in wooly scarves rate the same as trained soldiers though? No wonder they were brought along in the attack. 

[Image: 2020-04-06_18h12_07.png]

Worrowski? Interesting looking unit. Not regular Wehrmacht? What's the back ground?
04-07-2020, 02:19 PM, (This post was last modified: 04-07-2020, 02:20 PM by Mike Prucha.)
(04-07-2020, 03:23 AM)Plain Ian Wrote: Assaulting with E morale units? This game is not for the faint hearted. Never mind with some more .303 bullets they get up to D. 
I'm a bit surprised that men in wooly scarves rate the same as trained soldiers though? No wonder they were brought along in the attack. 

Worrowski? Interesting looking unit. Not regular Wehrmacht? What's the back ground?

Plain Ian - 

The Canadian divisions in Northwest Europe took disproportionate casualties in the summer of '44, such that attrition outpaced the training of new infantrymen. The situation came to a head in late September/October as Canada was running out of trained infantrymen. The Canadians continued to replace losses (sometimes very quickly) but with men with insufficient or no infantry training (often drawn from service units). The poor training of the Canadian infantrymen definitely impacted the course of the campaign and at least partially accounts for a few battalions being all but wiped out in the assaults around Woensdrecht. The Quality D rating in the Canadian infantry reflects this. It should be noted that Canadian artillery, engineers, etc. are rated Quality C as these arms did not suffer nearly the same rates of attrition. There are certain British divisions in a similar situation.

Battalion Worrowski is a Luftwafffe unit.

ComradeP - Made the change in the map tonight. Thanks for spotting that!

-Mike P
04-07-2020, 04:23 PM, (This post was last modified: 04-07-2020, 04:25 PM by ComradeP.)
Compared to US and Soviet forces, Commonwealth (and units using British equipment) are not particularly good at attacking due to mediocre stats. Numerous units being D will make it even more challenging. 

It always takes some getting used to, playing with Commonwealth forces. Infantry divisions lack punch and armoured units are huge, unwieldy and have limited infantry support. That's what can make battles between Commonwealth forces and any A/B quality Panzer(grenadier) unit such a lopsided affair. The great German soft attack ratings cut through the infantry, the great hard attack ratings through the armour.

On the other hand, presumably aside from some Fallschirmjaeger here and there, most German units will at best be C judging by the theatre and units involved.