• Blitz Shadow Player
  • Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Is an Isolated HQ able to support subordinates ?
04-27-2020, 07:08 PM,
Is an Isolated HQ able to support subordinates ?
I am trying to figure out the different command and recovery tests and an interesting situation came up. I am sorry if I am missing something obvious here but the situation is as follows:

If an HQ succeed in the 1d100 < Global supply value test it is in-command. If it is not able to trace a valid LoC to its hex it is Isolated. 

1. Can a HQ be both Isolated and in-command ?

2. If it is Isolated and in-Command is it still able to support its subordinate units ?
Quote this message in a reply
04-28-2020, 02:36 PM,
RE: Is an Isolated HQ able to support subordinates ?
My understanding is that an Isolated HQ can be In Command by passing the test in the normal way. And that an Isolated and In Command HQ can support its subordinate units but if those units are themselves isolated then the HQ cannot assist them with removing Low Fuel or Low Ammo status. Does that answer your questions?
04-28-2020, 05:10 PM,
Yes it does.

This means that it is not important to locate and isolate divisional HQ since they still can support their subordinates. I have to change tactics.

Thank you for answering.
04-29-2020, 01:50 AM,
An HQ has to be in command to help subordinates. If isolated, I believe they will drop one level for in command checks. So there is some benefit to isolating HQs, but if you are isolating just the HQs and not the units under it, then agreed it probably isn't a big benefit, outside of being able to destroy it the next turn, possibly.
[Image: exercise.png]
04-29-2020, 07:01 AM,
Not sure what 'drop one level for in command checks' refers to. I was under the impression that Isolation had no impact on Command Checks. Is this an undocumented feature?

Obviously the Morale for the HQ drops by one, which will increase the probability that it will Disrupt. But my understanding is that Command Checks should be unaffected simply by being Isolated.
04-29-2020, 01:09 PM,
(04-29-2020, 07:01 AM)Green Wrote: Not sure what 'drop one level for in command checks' refers to. I was under the impression that Isolation had no impact on Command Checks. Is this an undocumented feature?

Obviously the Morale for the HQ drops by one, which will increase the probability that it will Disrupt. But my understanding is that Command Checks should be unaffected simply by being Isolated.

Well Green, I guess based on the manual you are correct. Never know if maybe it is undocumented, but with the updated manuals, I doubt it. I sure had it in my head that HQs were more likely to fail their command test if their morale was lower, whether from fatigue or isolation. It appears from the manual that an HQs quality has no impact on anything except the command range, best I can tell, which is sure not what I had stuck in my head.

Thanks for catching that.

Rick
[Image: exercise.png]
04-29-2020, 11:54 PM,
If a unit is isolated, then it is isolated and should not get any help from HQ. It all depends on those in charge at both locations for morale. Example: Col Frost at Arnhem and Col Moore in Vietnam.

Ammo to a point only if the HQ is isolated with subordinate units. It is only going to last so long, eventually running out if he cannot be resupplied.
05-01-2020, 02:47 PM, (This post was last modified: 05-01-2020, 03:19 PM by Liebchen. Edit Reason: typo/omission )
I think that it should also matter if we're talking about Panzer Campaigns versus FWWC. Radios would allow isolated units some CnC.

But, of course, that would NOT affect resupply, just disruption recovery.
05-01-2020, 10:35 PM,
(04-29-2020, 11:54 PM)Outlaw Josey Wales Wrote: If a unit is isolated, then it is isolated and should not get any help from HQ.  It all depends on those in charge at both locations for morale.  Example:  Col Frost at Arnhem and Col Moore in Vietnam.

Ammo to a point only if the HQ is isolated with subordinate units.  It is only going to last so long, eventually running out if he cannot be resupplied.

Every unit down to Company level carries extra ammo for resupply.