• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Morale
02-08-2020, 03:57 PM,
Morale
I just moved an infantry unit, that had Fatigue 30 and was Morale B, next to an enemy unit, which shot at my unit and disrupted the unit. Fatigue increased to 42 and Morale dropped to C. My question is, assuming I move that unit to the rear, will it ever recover to Morale B? Or is it stuck at C for the rest of the scenario? Thanks!
Quote this message in a reply
02-08-2020, 10:00 PM, (This post was last modified: 02-09-2020, 10:01 AM by Kool Kat.)
RE: Morale
(02-08-2020, 03:57 PM)CountryBoy Wrote: I just moved an infantry unit, that had Fatigue 30 and was Morale B, next to an enemy unit, which shot at my unit and disrupted the unit. Fatigue increased to 42 and Morale dropped to C. My question is, assuming I move that unit to the rear, will it ever recover to Morale B? Or is it stuck at C for the rest of the scenario? Thanks!

Gent:  Smoke7

The unit will recover from fatigue and its morale will recover to Morale B provided it does not suffer from other factors - e.g. low ammunition / fuel, etc.
Regards, Mike / "A good plan violently executed now is better than a perfect plan executed next week." - George S. Patton /
Send this user an email
02-08-2020, 10:42 PM,
Thanks Kool Kat, I knew fatigue could recover, but wasn't sure about morale.
02-09-2020, 07:15 PM, (This post was last modified: 02-09-2020, 07:45 PM by Mowgli.)
For more details:

Why is morale important?

The lower its morale, the higher the chance for a unit to become disrupted and the harder it is for the unit to recover from disruption (snowball effect!). Disruption is bad as it halves your unit's combat effectiveness and - most dangerously - makes your unit automatically retreat if assaulted, which can mess up your combat line (zones of control) and might also lead to horrible casualties (if your retreat paths are blocked by enemy ZoCs/units).

Other than disruption (which is absolutely essential), morale doesn't seem to matter much as far as I can see. Many things are based on "unit quality" (=the unit's maximum morale level), not its current morale level

Morale factors

These circumstances reduce a unit's morale:
  • disrupted/broken (-1)
  • isolated (-1)
  • low ammo (-1)
  • no fuel (-1)
  • fatigue (-1/-2/-4 for 100-199/200-299/ 300 fatigue respectively)

As you can see, isolating units is probably the most effective and quickest way to decrease a unit's morale and thereby increase its disruption chance: -1 isolated, -1 for low ammo (if the unit opportunity-fired at you).

To increase your morale (and thereby also increase the chance for your unit to recover from disruption), make sure to get rid of these negative statuses. A reduced morale value is always temporary. As soon as the negative factors are gone, morale automatically goes up again.

Note however, that the maximum morale level that a unit can have depends on the unit's quality - the unit's maximum morale level is actually refered to as "unit quality" in the manual. How can you tell? If the unit already is at it's maximum morale level, the morale information on the unit card will be displayed in white, if not, it is displayed in yellow.