• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

A strange oddity
01-26-2020, 03:03 AM,
Help  A strange oddity
As most of you know, I've played this game for over 20 years now. To say the least, it's my passion. As an old Squad Leader guy, The Greatest Game Ever Created by Mankind. And the beauty of it is? I'm still learning new things about it!

I'm curious if anyone can help explain this latest 'strange oddity'. So during the opponents turn (this is PBEM), as you watch his forces slaughter of your forces, you go to the A/I tab, then to Set Advantage, and the slide bar is set to about +20% to his advantage. Then, during your turn, that same slide bar is set to +0% advantage. 

Now here's the kicker: if you start the same scenario fresh, PBEM, East Front in this case, there is no such advantage, for either side. Befuddling eh?

Despite my extreme passion for the game, creating scenarios, etc. I honestly know nothing about the file system, how it works, modifiers, etc. (and I'm a IT guy in real life). As far as I know, the scenario designer cannot set a permanent advantage for one side during the design phase. 

I can only assume:
1. a glitch in the game or scenario file
2. a corrupted file 
3. lightning strike
4. the cat stepped on the keyboard during scenario setup
5. ….we really don't want to go there...but it happens

I call upon the best brains, several of which I've already contacted, to help me get to the bottom of this 'strange oddity'. File (now kept in a secure vault) available upon request. 

Respectfully,
Tankertony>>>
Quote this message in a reply
01-26-2020, 04:38 AM,
RE: A strange oddity
Hmmm Tankertony, that's a new one for sure brother!

I know the advantage bar shifts the combat results table either for or against by the percentage indicated. But I never heard of it being done in the editor!!! Its a function of the engine not the editor I was led to believe all these years.

I think someone who knows more about the coding of this game will have to jump in.

Interesting glitch indeed...
01-26-2020, 09:47 AM,
(01-26-2020, 03:03 AM)Tankertony Wrote: As most of you know, I've played this game for over 20 years now. To say the least, it's my passion. As an old Squad Leader guy, The Greatest Game Ever Created by Mankind. And the beauty of it is? I'm still learning new things about it!

I'm curious if anyone can help explain this latest 'strange oddity'. So during the opponents turn (this is PBEM), as you watch his forces slaughter of your forces, you go to the A/I tab, then to Set Advantage, and the slide bar is set to about +20% to his advantage. Then, during your turn, that same slide bar is set to +0% advantage. 

Now here's the kicker: if you start the same scenario fresh, PBEM, East Front in this case, there is no such advantage, for either side. Befuddling eh?

Despite my extreme passion for the game, creating scenarios, etc. I honestly know nothing about the file system, how it works, modifiers, etc. (and I'm a IT guy in real life). As far as I know, the scenario designer cannot set a permanent advantage for one side during the design phase. 

I can only assume:
1. a glitch in the game or scenario file
2. a corrupted file 
3. lightning strike
4. the cat stepped on the keyboard during scenario setup
5. ….we really don't want to go there...but it happens

I call upon the best brains, several of which I've already contacted, to help me get to the bottom of this 'strange oddity'. File (now kept in a secure vault) available upon request. 

Respectfully,
Tankertony>>>

I was under the impression whoever starts the scenario can set the advantage and it can't be changed once the game starts. The advantage is set to 0 as a default in every scenario. However, I just tested it, and I can see the advantage as player 1 and as player 2, so no way for one player to see it without the other player seeing the same thing. It didn't change in my test. I hope that isn't something that could be finagled in the code, or is that #5? Maybe Jason knows.

I'm going to play it safe and go with #4, since I've never known anyone who's ever even used that option.

Dave
Resolve then, that on this very ground, with small flags waving and tinny blasts on tiny trumpets, we shall meet the enemy, and not only may he be ours, he may be us. --Walt Kelly
Send this user an email
01-27-2020, 02:38 AM,
Per the Campaign Series game manual:
Select Set Advantage to balance play between two players of unequal skill or to balance A/I play. Advantage values can range from 0 to 100 for either side. Depending on the value, the side with the advantage will inflict higher than normal combat losses on the other side, and suffer lower than normal combat losses themselves. Advantage must be set before play begins in E-Mail or Modem Play games. Otherwise, the Advantage can be adjusted at any time during the game.

So I wonder if that second from last sentence is hard-coded into the game, or otherwise it's merely a recommendation. As I sat up wide awake last night, I wondered if a player, let's say player one, during the start of his turn can set the advantage to his favor, and then, just before the end of his turn, set it back to zero. I don't know, but I do plan on testing this theory with someone. In a way it makes sense, because the advantage was only seen while viewing the opposing players turn. 

I do want to say that in this infamous game, we were well past turn 25. For those of us who've played the game for decades, you do get a sense of the normal attack results. From the earliest turns, I sensed something was off. The Russians, both the artillery and troops, hit with a devastating regularity that I had never seen. A +20% regularity. You simply can't not notice that. And I didn't say anything. But now, having seen what the game itself has exposed, I will get to the bottom of this 'strange oddity'. Good men smarter than me are working on it. 

Tankertony>>>
01-29-2020, 02:02 AM, (This post was last modified: 01-29-2020, 02:03 AM by Dan Caviness.)
Very weird Tony.

I don't believe there is any input during the designing of a scenario that could do what you're describing here.
We set it out the gate, meaning when opening the game to play it, and if an advantage is chosen, it's locked for the scenario.
Not sure if you could adjust it during SCN design...but I'll let you know...I'll play around with it.

It's either a glitch/corruption or unfortunately, #5.

Still...to my knowledge...and I've played it for a couple decades as well...I've never been cheated.  Just doesn't make sense, and everyone I know plays it fair and balanced.  Just like Fox News... Helmet Wink

You have Mr. Jason on the case...and he's the best Sherlock we have... Clues Green Sherlock Sherlock Respect

Good luck and highest regards,

Mr. Dan, aka:  no computer skills old fart... Crazy Drink Smoke Hide4
01-29-2020, 06:26 AM,
(01-29-2020, 02:02 AM)Dan Caviness Wrote: Very weird Tony.

I don't believe there is any input during the designing of a scenario that could do what you're describing here.
We set it out the gate, meaning when opening the game to play it, and if an advantage is chosen, it's locked for the scenario.
Not sure if you could adjust it during SCN design...but I'll let you know...I'll play around with it.

Still...to my knowledge...and I've played it for a couple decades as well...I've never been cheated.  Just doesn't make sense, and everyone I know plays it fair and balanced.  Just like Fox News... Helmet Wink

You have Mr. Jason on the case...and he's the best Sherlock we have... Clues Green Sherlock Sherlock Respect

I believe this post and poster are a strange oddity.   Helmet Wink

Farmer

HSL
01-29-2020, 10:53 AM,
(01-29-2020, 06:26 AM)Herr Straße Laufer Wrote:
(01-29-2020, 02:02 AM)Dan Caviness Wrote: Very weird Tony.

I believe this post and poster are a strange oddity.   Helmet Wink

Farmer

HSL

No kidding?! ROTFLMAO

I'll take that under advisement. Thanks HSL!! Smile
01-30-2020, 02:08 AM,
Stranger by the minute gentlemen...stranger by the minute...;)
01-31-2020, 12:22 AM,
Yup! Dan the man! Jester

Farmer

HSL