• Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Tactics Questions - Line and Column, Stacked or Not Stacked
01-01-2020, 03:02 PM, (This post was last modified: 01-01-2020, 03:03 PM by pokeytrev.)
Tactics Questions - Line and Column, Stacked or Not Stacked
Hello, 
As some of you may have already read, I am new to the Napoleonic system. I had a couple of things that are bothering me that I feel like I can get answers to on this forum. Questions are bolded while any quotes are italicized. Thanks in advance!

In the user manual, the following paragraph threw me for a loop:
"Line formation is most effective defensively while Column formation is
best for attacks. In Line formation, your infantry will have its greatest
firepower. You should use firepower to cause Disorder and casualties in
attacking forces so as to reduce their ability to attack you. In Column
formation, your infantry is easier to control and will suffer less Disorder."

Is it always better to keep your soldiers in column if you are attacking? I had always thought it would be advantageous to move into position and switch to line to increase firepower for a better chance of dislodging the enemy.

Next, I noticed that line infantry will often time start out stacked upon firing up a scenario. Does stacking further reinforce and increase your fire output, or would it be better to simply unstack units and extend the line/create reserves? I don't think that one of the stacked units can fire based on something I read in the user manual. It seems like stacking line infantry doesn't have any tangible effect?
Quote this message in a reply
01-02-2020, 01:05 AM,
RE: Tactics Questions - Line and Column, Stacked or Not Stacked
A lot depends on the Optional Rules you set.
But in general it's OK to stack attacking columns but not OK to stack defending lines because in a line formation only the most forward unit can fire, for others behind that unit you get an error message that it can't fire.
But what works in defense is stacking infantry in line with artillery, afaik both can fire normally as long as the infantry is behind the artillery. Same counts for skirmishers, put them in front of your line and you can fire with them.

And just to be clear, the most forward position is simply the unit that is at the top of the Hex Info Area. SO if you stack a lien of infantry & artillery the order should be Artillery at the top and infantry below it.
01-02-2020, 04:24 AM,
(01-02-2020, 01:05 AM)BigDuke66 Wrote: A lot depends on the Optional Rules you set.
But in general it's OK to stack attacking columns but not OK to stack defending lines because in a line formation only the most forward unit can fire, for others behind that unit you get an error message that it can't fire.
But what works in defense is stacking infantry in line with artillery, afaik both can fire normally as long as the infantry is behind the artillery. Same counts for skirmishers, put them in front of your line and you can fire with them.

And just to be clear, the most forward position is simply the unit that is at the top of the Hex Info Area. SO if you stack a lien of infantry & artillery the order should be Artillery at the top and infantry below it.

Thanks, your response is very helpful regarding my second question! My first question is bothering me most of all.
01-02-2020, 08:06 AM,
Actually you can move within the stacks.

What you will want to do is to move the others to behind what you believe your most potent unit that you want to fire will be  --if so some reason that unit is not at the top of your stack - just move the others to the bottom of the stack.

The reason that you do that is because even reordering within a stack is considered movement for fire modifiers.

Then after you fire with this initial unit, you can then move others to the top of the stack and then fire.

Reading the above gave the impression that you only can fire with that top unit ... true, but you can still move others in front of it after that unit fires.  I'd probably go so far that in a lot of scenarios with the British you want/need to do this in order to be at your side's most effective.
Send this user an email
01-02-2020, 11:58 AM,
(01-02-2020, 08:06 AM)trauth116 Wrote: Actually you can move within the stacks.

What you will want to do is to move the others to behind what you believe your most potent unit that you want to fire will be  --if so some reason that unit is not at the top of your stack - just move the others to the bottom of the stack.

The reason that you do that is because even reordering within a stack is considered movement for fire modifiers.

Then after you fire with this initial unit, you can then move others to the top of the stack and then fire.

Reading the above gave the impression that you only can fire with that top unit ... true, but you can still move others in front of it after that unit fires.  I'd probably go so far that in a lot of scenarios with the British you want/need to do this in order to be at your side's most effective.

Thanks, that makes perfect sense. I am not sure if this would work playing in phases, however?

Is it wise to attack in columns vs lines. Like I said in my initial post, the manual says it is better to attack in column formation and defend in line formation, which doesn't seem right.
01-02-2020, 01:11 PM,
In phases not, but in phases you usually get full defensive fire because your defensive lien was in position whiel the attacker advanced onto you. In turn gameplay you get only 50% if the unit moved and the game sees changing the orderof a unit within a stack as movement. So basically in phased gameplay one battalion in line will do as much damage as 2 battalions in line can do in turn gameplay when they change places.
01-02-2020, 08:57 PM,
(01-02-2020, 11:58 AM)pokeytrev Wrote:
(01-02-2020, 08:06 AM)trauth116 Wrote: Actually you can move within the stacks.

Thanks, that makes perfect sense. I am not sure if this would work playing in phases, however?

Is it wise to attack in columns vs lines. Like I said in my initial post, the manual says it is better to attack in column formation and defend in line formation, which doesn't seem right.

Good point about the phases ... I usually let my opposite number choose the options. I forgot how it worked the last time I was playing in phases (the last full battles were of Rossbach in SYW).

Columns though -for the Napoleonic Wars period, is probably right - that column is the best formation to attack from (excepting for the British in post French Revolutionary titles) - meaning that they are talking about an assault column which is different than columns for movement along roads.  Of course, they make for a big target.
Send this user an email
01-03-2020, 10:46 AM,
(01-02-2020, 08:57 PM)trauth116 Wrote: Good point about the phases ... I usually let my opposite number choose the options. I forgot how it worked the last time I was playing in phases (the last full battles were of Rossbach in SYW).

Columns though -for the Napoleonic Wars period, is probably right - that column is the best formation to attack from (excepting for the British in post French Revolutionary titles) - meaning that they are talking about an assault column which is different than columns for movement along roads.  Of course, they make for a big target.

What's interesting is I can't help but think back to movies seen over time of line approaching line (attacking or defending). When I think of a column, I think of a marching column and less firepower. It seems so strange to think of a column running through a line.
01-03-2020, 12:09 PM,
Maybe this gives a bit more knowledge about columns:
http://napoleonistyka.atspace.com/infant...tics_4.htm
01-04-2020, 01:42 PM,
(01-03-2020, 12:09 PM)BigDuke66 Wrote: Maybe this gives a bit more knowledge about columns:
http://napoleonistyka.atspace.com/infant...tics_4.htm

Thanks! I think this is exactly what I am looking for.