• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

A couple of quick questions
12-30-2019, 03:56 PM,
A couple of quick questions
Just enjoying my Christmas presents to myself and loving them...but just a couple of very quick questions:

- does artillery range matter? Should my arty target closer enemy units for greater effect?
- if a tank unit has a 2 hex soft target range, would it do more damage at 2 or 1 hexes? (similar to above I guess)

Thanks!
Quote this message in a reply
12-30-2019, 06:22 PM,
RE: A couple of quick questions
For indirect fire the fire value is not adjusted for range.

For direct fire at ranges greater than 1 the fire value is modified by the 'Range Effect' Parameter Data Value. If the range is N and the Range Effect is R, then the fire value is divided by 1 + (N-1) * (R-1). For example, if the Range Effect value is 1.5, then the fire value of direct fire at a range of 2 hexes is divided by 1.5. At 3 hexes, it is divided by 2, and so on. 

For Artillery or Heavy Artillery attacking Hard targets at a range of 4 or less the 'Art Hard Target Mod' Parameter Data Value is applied to the fire value.

So for direct fire a precise answer to your question depends of the Parameter Data Values for the scenario you are playing.
12-30-2019, 06:57 PM,
One of the more hidden/obscure aspects of these titles are the Parameter Data Values contained in the Parameter Data Table, these control about every aspect of the game engine and will almost certainly have differences from title to title and designer to designer.

I look over the PDT before starting a new scenario just to check the settings, for example you can find out if you can build pontoon bridges over full hex rivers or if the side I am playing has any rail capacity?
12-30-2019, 07:10 PM, (This post was last modified: 12-30-2019, 07:36 PM by Mowgli.)
(12-30-2019, 03:56 PM)CountryBoy Wrote: Just enjoying my Christmas presents to myself and loving them...but just a couple of very quick questions:

- does artillery range matter? Should my arty target closer enemy units for greater effect?
- if a tank unit has a 2 hex soft target range, would it do more damage at 2 or 1 hexes? (similar to above I guess)

Thanks!

Regarding indirect fire: Players often overlook the "detachment" malus. 

If a unit is outside the NOMINAL* command range of its superior HQ unit at the start of the turn, it is considered to be "detached". If this is the case, the name of the unit is written in yellow (instead of white). 

If you call artillery on a target that can exclusively be seen/spotted by units that are detached, then the fire power of the artillery strike is halved. I suppose this is also true for indirect opportunity fire.

This has many implications. E.g. in the modern campaigns, helicopters are usually bad spotters for artillery (unless they start the turn close to their FARP).

*Nominal: This range is NOT affected by any factors that reduce the HQ unit's command range (disrupted, travel mode, etc.). It never changes and depends solely on the level of the HQ and its quality.
12-30-2019, 10:30 PM,
Thanks guys, your prompt replies and wisdom always appreciated.