• redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Can you win any secenerio ?
12-28-2019, 08:56 PM,
c_Question Mark  Can you win any secenerio ?
I have been playing for just over a year.
 It is brilliant and I really enjoy playing and my opponents are great.
When playing a new game, and I pick the scenario , I always struggle to find one that I am happy with as far as balance goes.
I look at the stats and then try and pick a game that's well balanced.
 Then if I play and win one I have chosen, I feel bad because  of it.
I have bee told, you must always think you can win, and that every scenario can be won by either side.
 That all depends on the opponent's playing ability and the strategy and tactics they use.
So can any scenario be won by either side?
Quote:Sir Winston Churchill said they were the "Finest Regiment in the world" The Gordon Highlanders ,
Quote this message in a reply
12-29-2019, 01:55 PM,
RE: Can you win any secenerio ?
(12-28-2019, 08:56 PM)Oldbones Wrote: So can any scenario be won by either side?

In a word, no, IMO. There are some scenarios that are so lopsided they're not worth playing. I'm playing a ME game where I can win by not engaging; just staying hidden ( I suppose he could find me, but I am wearing camo Smile). It's a night scenario, so easy to stay hidden, but where's the fun? So I'm considering the advantage a handicap, since my opponent is really good and pressing forward into harm's way.  

If you start looking in the scenario database and do a sort by rating, the least rated are usually the most lopsided.

Glad you're enjoying the game and the Blitz!

Dave
Resolve then, that on this very ground, with small flags waving and tinny blasts on tiny trumpets, we shall meet the enemy, and not only may he be ours, he may be us. --Walt Kelly
Send this user an email
12-29-2019, 02:18 PM,
Oldbones, Scud speaks the truth!!

There are some scenarios that are not worth wasting time on. In the data base look first at the win loss record and then the comments. You'll get a clearer picture of what's good and not! If ya have a problem post a question on the forum. Someone will replay in short order!

Scud, hmmm, funny! I'm playing a CSME scenario against a shifty little cuss too, that's sneaking around the desert at night. One needs to be careful, one can get lost out there. Remember,  Adders come out at night I think!?

I don't think we're playing a game, are we?
12-30-2019, 12:37 AM,
Time, I don't think I really think about that too much. I have learned / been taught plenty lessons by some good players.

Been defeated plenty of times, won some games that I thought I would not have won.

So I have been looking through the data base and I can see what you mean about lop sided.
There are plenty of scenarios that although not lop sided are what look like favouring one side or the other.
Its a bit hard to properly decide because some have only been played a few times.

Another thing I did notice that there are plenty that have never been played !

I might start looking at some of those.
Quote:Sir Winston Churchill said they were the "Finest Regiment in the world" The Gordon Highlanders ,
12-30-2019, 08:55 AM,
(12-30-2019, 12:37 AM)Oldbones Wrote: Another thing I did notice that there are plenty that have never been played !

I might start looking at some of those.

I like playing those. I've found most players do not, so if you're interested pick one out and a side and I'll play it with you.

Dave
Resolve then, that on this very ground, with small flags waving and tinny blasts on tiny trumpets, we shall meet the enemy, and not only may he be ours, he may be us. --Walt Kelly
Send this user an email
12-31-2019, 09:33 PM,
(12-28-2019, 08:56 PM)Oldbones Wrote: I have been playing for just over a year.
 It is brilliant and I really enjoy playing and my opponents are great.
When playing a new game, and I pick the scenario , I always struggle to find one that I am happy with as far as balance goes.
I look at the stats and then try and pick a game that's well balanced.
 Then if I play and win one I have chosen, I feel bad because  of it.
I have bee told, you must always think you can win, and that every scenario can be won by either side.
 That all depends on the opponent's playing ability and the strategy and tactics they use.
So can any scenario be won by either side?

I think you can win a lot scenarios if you take a closer look and analzye it.   A good example is "Tobruk 1941".
At first look it seems to be impossible for the axis but looking closer it it the other way round.

Also the more often you play a scenario the better you are.  I just gets crippled in a ficional late war scenario which I play for the first time while my opponent had played it a couple of time.
01-01-2020, 06:29 AM,
That is very good points you make, I think good tactics make for a good chance in most if not all of the games I have played.
Take time look at the map, the roads and buildings, trees and in general the landscape.
Some rivers, you can cross at points that initially you would not notice.
Lots of forest trails lead to good movement where normally its looks like a no go.
The odd hex, gives you brilliant LOS, get a unit in there and keep still, its amazing what you will see.
01-07-2020, 05:36 AM, (This post was last modified: 01-07-2020, 05:37 AM by Hawk Kriegsman.)
One of the best ways to learn a scenario is to play H2H against the same person once as Axis and then as Allied (or as Allied then Axis).

This gives you a real good idea of the balance of the scenario.

Another thing that can give you an idea of scenario balance are the victory point levels. 

There are a number of scenarios in the data base that are impossible to win just because of the poorly thought out victory point levels.

In many of these scenarios you need about 1000 points to go from major loss to minor loss.  The problem is that there are only 800 points of objectives. 

So if you take all the objectives and cause 201 more point loss than you take all you get for your trouble is a minor loss.

I probably have played over 90% of all the scenarios in that database in against the computer or hot seat verses myself.

There is a reason that some scenarios have never been reported H2H.  The are unplayable H2H.
01-07-2020, 05:57 AM,
The OP mentioned tactics so I'll go a little off topic and ask , How important is watching the replay. Simply saying, I use it 1% of the time. I know it will help but is it critical?
01-07-2020, 06:02 AM,
(01-07-2020, 05:57 AM)zap Wrote: The OP mentioned tactics so I'll go a little off topic and ask , How important is watching the replay. Simply saying, I use it 1% of the time. I know it will help but is it critical?

I am like you in that I rarely watch the replay. 

That being said there are times that I get surprised by unexpected enemy forces in areas I did not expect them to be in.

So I will finish my turn and send it to my opponent, then go watch the turn he sent me prior.  Sure enough you will see forces briefly as the dart from out of LOS into LOS and back out of LOS again.

The only way to see certain things like that is by watching the replay.