• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Engineer bridges
11-30-2019, 06:07 PM,
Engineer bridges
Hi guys, just a quick question, can engineers bridge a wide river hex (one of those rivers which takes up a whole hex), like say the Danube, during the game? Or is it impossible? Thanks.
Quote this message in a reply
11-30-2019, 08:01 PM,
RE: Engineer bridges
Only if the scenario parameters allow pontoon bridges to be built, you can find this out by opening the PDT (by hitting F4) scroll down to bridge values and see if the pontoon value for the side you are playing is non zero?

If there is a value this is the number of moves that have to elapse before the bridge engineer can attempt to lay a pontoon bridge, if you read the rules on pontoon bridges then the process is easy to understand.  Wink
11-30-2019, 08:13 PM,
(11-30-2019, 08:01 PM)Mr Grumpy Wrote: Only if the scenario parameters allow pontoon bridges to be built, you can find this out by opening the PDT (by hitting F4) scroll down to bridge values and see if the pontoon value for the side you are playing is non zero?

If there is a value this is the number of moves that have to elapse before the bridge engineer can attempt to lay a pontoon bridge, if you read the rules on pontoon bridges then the process is easy to understand.  Wink

Thanks Mr Grumpy, I have never checked the PDT file before, so I have learned something new today!

The value was 5, so I guess it will be some time before a bridge appears.
Cheers.
12-01-2019, 07:29 AM,
Yes, obviously bridging a bridge over a major river takes more time, in most of the games I have built pontoon bridges the value has been 8 so with a bit of luck you might see one in 10 moves, remember it also takes the same procedure to disassemble so that can be time consuming as well. Wink  

The PDT is the source of many hidden treasures like this...…….. Big Grin
12-01-2019, 08:38 AM,
Depending on whether your side has bridge engineer companies or battalions, the bridge value might have more impact than the pontoon value.

Companies use 1/3 the PDT bridge value, which is then modified by quality.

Because many Soviet units of company size in terms of men/equipment are "battalions" in the game, they enjoy an advantage when organisational size is important.

Building bridges with German engineer companies can be quite a pain, A-B quality though they might be.
12-02-2019, 07:34 AM,
Yes once the pontoon value period has elapsed the normal factors affecting the success of the bridging attempt come into play, as you rightly point out if you have a low quality engineer companies trying the build a bridge your percentage chance of success can be quite low.