• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Selecting both virtual supply trucks and explicit supply
11-20-2019, 03:41 PM,
Selecting both virtual supply trucks and explicit supply
I notice that if I take a scenario with explicit supply (or at least some scenarios)
1. select virtual supply only and display local supply values, the numbers are variable going lower the further the way from the supply sources.
2. select explicit supply only and display local supply values, the numbers are fixed at 80, as per this rule "In addition, the basic test to determine when Low Ammo and Low Fuel potentially occurs is modified by using a default Local Supply Value of 80.".
3. select both virtual and explicit supply and display local supply values, the numbers are variable going lower the further the way from the supply sources.

Does this mean that selecting both means that the local supply values are not fixed, and the Low Ammo and Low Fuel basic test uses a variable local supply value?
Quote this message in a reply
11-20-2019, 07:06 PM,
RE: Selecting both virtual supply trucks and explicit supply
Neither the Global or the Local Supply Values are used for Explicit Supply but you can still display them. The values shown are dependent on whether you select Virtual Supply Trucks but are not dependent on whether you are using Explicit Supply.

Instead for Explicit Supply a default 'Local Supply Value' of 80 is used in respect of Ammo/Fuel tests. This value has nothing to do with the Global Supply Value, which is often also set to 80.

Note however that the Command test still uses the Global Supply Value.
11-21-2019, 07:09 AM,
The designers I have spoken to about this in the past have been sure that as soon as you select Explicit supply the scenario uses those supply rules and the fact that VST is also selected is ignored.

I found this in the rules...………..

"Note that when Explicit Supply is in effect, then Supply Sources are retained,
but only for the purpose of determining Isolation. Likewise, Explicit Supply
overrides the Virtual Supply Truck rule."
11-21-2019, 07:50 AM,
(11-21-2019, 07:09 AM)Mr Grumpy Wrote: The designers I have spoken to about this in the past have been sure that as soon as you select Explicit supply the scenario uses those supply rules and the fact that VST is also selected is ignored.

I found this in the rules...………..

"Note that when Explicit Supply is in effect, then Supply Sources are retained,
but only for the purpose of determining Isolation. Likewise, Explicit Supply
overrides the Virtual Supply Truck rule."

Yes, I do not think there is any doubt that Explicit Supply works exactly as described in the manual and it is all explained quite clearly. But I think the Supply rules generally could use a re-write as they have always been a source of confusion. I guess it opens a can of worms to re-write things in the manual but perhaps it would be worth making an exception for Supply. No doubt there are other priorities at the moment but hopefully it will get done eventually.