• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Demo new scenarios
11-13-2019, 06:36 PM,
Demo new scenarios
Quite surprised not seeing any challenges regarding the new scenarios that were included in the last Demo update, they look very good..

Has anyone tried them out?
Quote this message in a reply
11-13-2019, 09:50 PM, (This post was last modified: 11-13-2019, 09:51 PM by Strela.)
RE: Demo new scenarios
Fhil,

I must admit I’m surprised too.

That said it’s maybe symptomatic of a bigger ‘issue’ in that the Panzer Battles series is seeing less play generally. North Africa is probably some of the best work we have done at WDS, yet there has been little in the way of request for opponents or reporting of games. The updated Demo has continued that trend.

On the other hand, Panzer Campaigns has picked up, possibly on the back of both the Gold updates and the two newly released titles. All my observations are based off threads etc here at the Blitz.

The positive news is that all three Panzer Battles games have been the best selling games for JTS in volume since the launch of the series and the Demo has exceeded those sales in downloads, so there is a player base.

I’d be interested to hear why people aren’t playing these titles as we may need to look at our asset allocation or production values. The Panzer Battles games take significant longer than comparable Panzer Campaign games to produce and there is reduced interest we may adjust our priorities.

David
11-14-2019, 03:25 AM,
I've been  playing other games that's why the PZB slow down on games reported on this ladder but i'm up for playing a few now that Japan playtesting is done.
11-14-2019, 07:03 AM,
David,

as long as they sell good everything is right I think. Think about this - I bought North Africa Battles right after the release and with one of my opponents, we´re playing it for almost a year now, taking the scenarios one after another playing one turn a day (with few exceptions)..So, We´re playing like 12th or so scenario, while I only posted once for the very first scenario.

Maybe others are doing so as well - that should be easily seen in reported battles, not sure how that situation is at the moment.

I´m enjoying the game very much, though Panzer Campaigns are my primary love  Big Grin
Working on a few scenarios in of the titles there as well, so I´m not that active in number of games that I´ve used to be at the moment  Rolling Eyes

Landser34 - you´re up for a game? Need to test something, as I have a feeling there was some issue with the artillery support in the new scenarios - like they were not correctly attached or something, so they cannot support their units. David, can you check that out too? Try those Perekop scenarios for example..
11-14-2019, 12:33 PM,
I have played a four of the new Demo scenarios HtH. Two of them were not actually designated as suitable for HtH. One was 'Perekop - Strongpoint Chaban', which gave no play recommendation but it appears it was intended to be played vs the AI. The other was 'Cassino Station', which I was determined to play regardless of it being for play against Axis AI. The other two, 'Siivertsi Bridgehead' and 'Perekop - Across the Tartar Ditch' indicate that they can be played HtH or against the AI. All cover novel and interesting situations although the two HtH suitable scenarios I played did not seem to be ideally balanced. No criticism is intended as it would not be reasonable to expect the Demo to provide separate HtH versions. And anyway, I may be totally wrong about the balance.   

As a side issue, note that the following three scenarios initially had an error in the timing of Scheduled Reinforcements (1943 instead of 1941);

#410925_01 Perekop - Danilin Counters
#410925_01v Perekop - Danilin Counters
#410926_01 Perekop - Across the Tartar Ditch

This may have been fixed now if you re-download the Demo. If not, Rich Hamilton has provided me with revised versions which I can make available for download here, if needed.

As regards the popularity of PzB versus PzC, I find this very hard to understand. Perhaps it is just the scale that does not have the same appeal as that in PzC. As someone who currently plays PzB more than I play PzC, it is something I often wonder about. Just from a gaming perspective it has provided some of the most intense and memorable contests I have had. Many of the scenarios are fast and furious. And the historical accuracy is incredible. What is not to like?

Perhaps, in terms of Battles of North Africa, the theater is not of interest everyone, particularly as there is no US involvement. And I admit, as a New Zealander I am biased, particularly since Crete is included in this title, but I think if people gave this one a go they would find it well worth it. The situations are often complex and challenging with a lot of room for manoeuver. It is a real education and a lot of fun.  

It would be a shame if development of this series was sidelined due to resource issues. Part of the problem may be the titles are too ambitious. Normandy set the bar incredibly high and then North Africa went one better. Perhaps the content in future titles could be trimmed or the same amount of content could be spread over a couple of titles. Regardless, I suspect that sooner or later the popularity of these products will take off. Ironically it may be that the best way to achieve this is to focus on PzC in the short term, as that is the base from which many PzB players will come. But I think work on PzB still needs to continue if the interest in this series is to grow.
11-14-2019, 03:40 PM,
(11-13-2019, 09:50 PM)Strela Wrote: I’d be interested to hear why people aren’t playing these titles.....

David

I don't have the "Golden Answer" however, I am willing to bet that all of the releases from JTS/WDS is causing a slow down in PzB activity.

What JTS and WDS has done this past year is unprecedented.

Just look at the JTS News Archives page.

So far in 2019, JTS/WDS has released updates to all 4 titles found in the PzB series, 7 Gold updates to the PzC series, 16 updates to the SB series that included the scenario editor, 7 CWB updates, and just today, 4 EAW updates with 3D maps.

On top of all of that, JTS/WDS has released four new games: 1 NAP title, 2 PzC titles, and 1 CWB title.

From my POV, it is no wonder why PzB activity is down as the guys are revisiting many of the JTS games titles that they haven't touched in a really long time, as all of these new updates have regenerated "new blood" and interest in them.

As an owner of over 60+ JTS titles, it has been one heck of a year, and the year isn't over yet!   Thumbs Up
11-14-2019, 08:15 PM, (This post was last modified: 11-14-2019, 09:53 PM by KAreil.)
Generally I too think that a lot of people are revisiting the upgraded PzC titles.

Another thing I noticed is that I don't get the same feeling of achievment after completing a PzB scenario compared to PzC. The smaller scale is fun but even a Major Victory wouldn't have that strategic impact - which is different in PzC.

Personally I own NorthAfrica and Kursk. The Africa title was purchased mainly to support you guys and a bit for the Crete scenarios - the others didn't "click" for me yet. Currently I'm playing through the corps sized Kursk scenarios where it takes me months to complete a single one.

I'm also waiting for the next FWWC title and will get a bunch of games then to get the discount and PzB Normandy will be one of them. :)
"Tapfer. Standhaft. Treu." - PzGrenB.13 Ried/Innkreis
11-15-2019, 12:35 AM,
Keep the PBs coming. You have a head start with North Africa, keep it going until you are done with the rest of North Africa and Tunisia. I think Market-Garden would be a great one as well. Especially if you would have a campaign scenario covering the whole thing. Bulge would be split between north and south. Dang near drool over thoughts of a MG campaign. :)
11-15-2019, 12:57 AM,
(11-14-2019, 07:03 AM)Fhil Wrote: David,

as long as they sell good everything is right I think. Think about this - I bought North Africa Battles right after the release and with one of my opponents, we´re playing it for almost a year now, taking the scenarios one after another playing one turn a day (with few exceptions)..So, We´re playing like 12th or so scenario, while I only posted once for the very first scenario.

Maybe others are doing so as well - that should be easily seen in reported battles, not sure how that situation is at the moment.

I´m enjoying the game very much, though Panzer Campaigns are my primary love  Big Grin
Working on a few scenarios in of the titles there as well, so I´m not that active in number of games that I´ve used to be at the moment  Rolling Eyes

Landser34 - you´re up for a game? Need to test something, as I have a feeling there was some issue with the artillery support in the new scenarios - like they were not correctly attached or something, so they cannot support their units. David, can you check that out too? Try those Perekop scenarios for example..
11-15-2019, 12:57 AM,
(11-15-2019, 12:57 AM)Landser34 Wrote:
(11-14-2019, 07:03 AM)Fhil Wrote: David,

Sure send something that you want to play.